Fallacies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Fallacies
A theist comes up with an argument that is so utterly stupid (i.e., incomprehensible) that I don't know how the refute it. I mean it's too silly for words but if I tell him that then I commit the fallacy of Appeal to the Stone. What to do?

A theist declares that there is no such thing as a fallacy. Fallacies are "simply in your head, instruments of Satan to lead you astray." Martin Luther said the same thing about logic.

"You don't like Christ's message therefore you deny Christ's existence." This was a response to my saying that the existence of Socrates was not a religious question.

"Pliny the Younger assumed that Jesus existed." Facepalm

"No one in ancient times ever doubted that Christ existed."

"Why should I define my terms. Don't you know what the word means? Ever heard of a dictionary?"

Etc, etc, etc.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like f stop's post
24-09-2017, 02:48 PM
RE: Fallacies
This sounds like someone who is not interested in having an intelligent conversation.
Maybe breaking it off early will save you from wasting your time and sanity on them.
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
24-09-2017, 03:37 PM
If someone denies logic and reason then there is no basis for any meaningful communication.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
24-09-2017, 03:57 PM
(24-09-2017 03:37 PM)unfogged Wrote:  If someone denies logic and reason then there is no basis for any meaningful communication.
"The Bible says it. I believe it. End of story." Dodgy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
24-09-2017, 05:29 PM
(24-09-2017 02:42 PM)f stop Wrote:  A theist comes up with an argument that is so utterly stupid (i.e., incomprehensible) that I don't know how the refute it. I mean it's too silly for words but if I tell him that then I commit the fallacy of Appeal to the Stone. What to do?

A theist declares that there is no such thing as a fallacy. Fallacies are "simply in your head, instruments of Satan to lead you astray." Martin Luther said the same thing about logic.

"You don't like Christ's message therefore you deny Christ's existence." This was a response to my saying that the existence of Socrates was not a religious question.

"Why should I define my terms. Don't you know what the word means? Ever heard of a dictionary?"

Etc, etc, etc.

> Tell him that you won't waste your time debating a closed-minded, intellectual illiterate. Drinking Beverage
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
24-09-2017, 09:15 PM
(24-09-2017 02:42 PM)f stop Wrote:  A theist comes up with an argument that is so utterly stupid (i.e., incomprehensible) that I don't know how the refute it. I mean it's too silly for words but if I tell him that then I commit the fallacy of Appeal to the Stone. What to do?

Etc, etc, etc.

I am not an atheist - I could be a theist but not the kind of theists who are unquestioning, uncritical and uncreative.

It depends on your goals - do you want to deconvert en masse? Do you want to spread enlightenment through science, reason and critical thinking? Do you want to change the world and humanity?

Such ignorance on that Christian theist shouldn't let you down - at least you might have a lot of intelligent, rational thinkers including atheists around depending on where you live.

By the way, if you get a chance to dispel this theist's ignorance and inability to think correctly, well that's great. Otherwise, try not to be aggressive or vengeful because this theist is unable to think and argue in a constructive, critical manner - this would only beget alienation and tensions.

Edit: Oh, he/she is the one who is actively and aggressively trying to preach and convert you, right and not the other way round? Well, then we can discuss counteractive measures but please confirm.
24-09-2017, 09:22 PM
Fallacies
It's best to not waste time on such fool as he is too deluded to be worth talking to.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
24-09-2017, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2017 12:07 AM by Robvalue.)
If there's no such thing as a fallacy, it's very easy to prove God doesn't exist. Check it out:

1. I am a human
2. You are a human
3. Therefor, God doesn't exist

There you go.

The point I'm demonstrating is that if you don't agree some kind of framework for the analysis of ideas, then any conclusion anyone ever makes is equally valid; as is the contrary conclusion. In other words, we have no way whatsoever to gather any meaningful information about anything. If someone wants to spend their time in this quagmire of nonsense, it's best to leave them there.

[Whoops, fixed mistake in first line Tongue ]

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
25-09-2017, 12:09 AM
1. All cars I own are cars.
2. Therefor, I own all cars.
3. I own your car.
4. Give me your car.

I wonder how well he'd respond to this argument? I expect logic and fallacies only don't apply when it's convenient.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
25-09-2017, 04:28 AM
Fallacious reasoning keeps us from knowing the truth, and the inability to think critically makes us vulnerable to manipulation by those skilled in the art of rhetoric. Your opponent is clearly dishonest and undeserving of your time.

But if you REALLY want to spend time debating with this bell-end maybe try the Socratic method. When you get the hang of it, it is a pretty effective way of exposing the nonsense that people will entertain.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post