Fallen tree

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2015, 10:52 PM (This post was last modified: 23-07-2015 11:05 PM by f stop.)
Fallen tree
The back of my property borders on a factory owned by a Fortune 500 company. Several months ago a tree on their property snapped off at the base and fell against an adjacent tree. To me this appeared to pose a danger because if the tree were to fall further it could hit a power line. I called the power company, they sent a man out who looked at it and said it was not their problem, but he would inform the factory managers. I have no way of knowing if he ever did.

There have been several severe windstorms in my area in the past few days. Today I discovered that the tree has fallen further, apparently due to the wind. It has changed direction and now rests on the six foot high chain link fence that surrounds the factory and upon what I think is a telephone line. The whole mess used to be entirely on company property but now a large portion of the tree hovers over my property. The telephone line is visibly bent and the power line could be next if there's another windstorm. The telephone line could break. Worse yet the power line could break resulting in a live high tension wire on the ground. Someone could get killed.

I could just ignore the problem but my concern is that someone could decide that I'm responsible.

I'm amazed that neither the power company nor the Fortune 500 company see this as a problem. This is a dangerous situation. Don't they worry about getting sued?

I'm thinking about biting the bullet and paying an arborist to remove the tree, however I have my doubts that any arborist would work on a tree that is so near a power line.

Tomorrow I plan to call the Fortune 500 company, the power company, the telephone company and my insurance company. From there I don't know.

One thing is certain. The tree is not going to stay where it is. If no one does anything then sooner or later mother nature (or God if you insist) is going to bring it down and there will be consequences.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2015, 10:58 PM
RE: Fallen tree
Did it make a sound?

I don't think they have anything to fear about being sued. They just won't be proactive and will wait to be retroactive. If it takes down the lines, then they'll go solve the issue and fix the problem that occurred and move on from there because it's just more foolish/lazy that way.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
23-07-2015, 11:22 PM
I understand that it could be dangerous, after you talk to a 'tree guy' you might want to reconsider eating the cost of removing it. Bother the hell out of everyone involved, phone co. , powerco., 500 co. if nothing else they will take care of it to make you go away.
23-07-2015, 11:28 PM
If you're in a metro area, try calling city hall and asking to whom you need to speak about a dangerous situation regarding power lines. It's entirely possible that the guy who came out to look just didn't want to deal with it on that day, and that when higher-level eyes start looking at the situation, the guys below will "hop-to". Humans are definitely hierarchical primates.

Record the calls, as well, in case it comes to litigation later, for property damage or worse. Keep a log of everything that happens, to whom you speak, etc. More evidence is always better.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
24-07-2015, 07:45 AM
You could call an arborist, say that you're with the Fortune 500 company, give him a purchase order number, and tell him to go take care of it immediately. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-07-2015, 07:51 AM
Put a doghouse below the tree, then tell the company that when it falls on your dog you're going to the press.

'Murican Canadian
24-07-2015, 08:03 AM
Call and ask for the name, date and time the first person came out to look.
They'll get the message.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-07-2015, 07:50 PM
I called Fortune 500 today and they sent a man over. He agreed there was a problem. This afternoon three guys from a tree service company showed up with a chain saw on the end of a 20 foot pole. In short order they had the tree down. They then brought in the mother of all wood chippers and it ate branches eight inches in diameter. They then got to work with rakes and cleaned up the mess. Good job.

So problem solved. Smile

Sapere aude
[+] 4 users Like f stop's post
24-07-2015, 08:15 PM
We had the fun experience of watching a neighbor of ours and one of his buddies cut down large pine trees in his yard. After cutting one most of the way through they tied it to secure it from falling with clothesline fastened to a sparkleberry bush. Facepalm

The tree was poised to fall on one or both of our vehicles and possibly the house. We immediately called our insurance company and moved the cars.

They eventually got that tree down without incident but a later one went right through his roof. FacepalmFacepalm

He thought his insurance would cover it. What a dolt and a menace that one was...no wonder his mail order bride (seriously) went back home.

Gawd I hated living in SC.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
24-07-2015, 08:18 PM
(24-07-2015 08:15 PM)Anjele Wrote:  We had the fun experience of watching a neighbor of ours and one of his buddies cut down large pine trees in his yard. After cutting one most of the way through they tied it to secure it from falling with clothesline fastened to a sparkleberry bush. Facepalm

The tree was poised to fall on one or both of our vehicles and possibly the house. We immediately called our insurance company and moved the cars.

They eventually got that tree down without incident but a later one went right through his roof. FacepalmFacepalm

He thought his insurance would cover it. What a dolt and a menace that one was...no wonder his mail order bride (seriously) went back home.

Gawd I hated living in SC.

You have fun stories. Big Grin