Falling Flat (on his face) Earther...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2017, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2017 09:49 AM by Commonsensei.)
Falling Flat (on his face) Earther...
It's been hard not being able to got on the forum as much as I would like. So I've joined a local Atheist Facebook group. On there a meet a nice women that was having a problem with a kid (didn't specify her relation) that offered her $10,000 if she could prove to him the earth was round. She said anything she's presented he's just brushed off. I gave her a link to Carl Sagans video on the subject.

Heart : CommonSensei I have tried with the sticks example, other planets and why is it we can see further from higher ground. Basically he laughed at me ignoring all proof or reason.

CS: Geez lewes. The only other possibilities I could think of reaching him is. Ask him what would he consider proof. And go from there. That or wait a decade or so for the space tourism to become a thing. Why dose he think everything else in your solar system is spherical but earth wouldn't be?

Heart : CommonSensei so I asked him that very question "why would the earth be any different from other planets?" this is what I got, Its long and honestly I haven't read the whole thing, yet. I copied and pasted it. I need my coffee first Lol

Quote:Sorry took me long to write you back I'm busy working on my new house. But seriously this is how I know you have not done your research on what others believe you stick to your own biased opinion. Get out of your comfort zone and listen to other people and listen to what they believe because of their eyes and senses and they are doing their own real scientific studies and not just believe because of their TV shows them something.

Smug. I also can't wait to hear what he has to say. Mostly because I already know how hypocritical he's about to be.

Quote:You owe it to yourself as a human being to study everything this place has to offer. You've definitely done your studies on NASA's side and the whole heliocentric universe. But in 2015 there was a few thousand people have believed the Earth was flat it is now 2017 and over 400 million believe and it keeps growing.

Where did he find these numbers from? Honestly. I even visited the Flat Earth Society webpage https://theflatearthsociety.org/home/ and didn't find anything on numbers of people that identify as Flat Earthers. 400 million?! The US population right now is 318.9 million. That means everyone in america and then some think the world is flat?!

Come on man!

Quote: Because truth will reveal itself. Just like the video of San Clemente Island I have you can not debunk it there is no way. I've talked to people all over the world about that video people who are totally against that video still can't debunk it even the physicist and mathematicians.

I don't know what this San Clemente Island video is.

I've talked to people in different parts of the world too. And that all said you were and idiot.

...Seeing how I didn't watch the video can't respond if physicists and mathematicians can't figure it out. My gut feeling is they don't know what this claim is or he just refuses what they would say. So...

Quote:Answer to your question.
On a geocentric Earth the Sun and Moon and Stars revolve inside the firmament above us( inside the firmament remember that part) there are no other planets they are only but wandering Stars.

Dodgy

[Image: MJ+2014+Firmament+Flood+and+creation.gif]

The sun is 5,778 K. That's 27 million degrees Fahrenheit. What your suggesting is that we are sitting in a glass jar. With not only 1 but billions of suns. Each emiting there own heat, each always on.

Quote:A telescope over the price of five grand will show you or my camera.

...your camera.

Here's some powerful telescopes. Well over 5 grand.

[Image: ObservatoryAerialCover.jpg]

This last photo is of The Palomar Observatory. It's open to the public. I garentee it's a lot stronger then your camera. So I know it's in his area.

Now the other problem that we have with land based telescopes is the wakey atmosphere. That's why they build Telescopes like this.

[Image: 339A3AFD00000578-3562562-The_covers_have...412148.jpg]

This is the James web Telescope that cost 8.7 Billion to build. It will allow us to see father then we've ever seen.

[Image: 3056720-inline-i-1-hubble-probes.png]

There are also other things that we can see with out telescopes. Radio waves, Micro Waves and understanding the speed of light are just few of the methods that we examine the universe.

Quote:I mean seriously do you really think that all the other planets are around and I believe we're flying around space like a frisbee? That is just ridiculous.

It sure is.

Quote:Space does not exist there is no such thing as outer space. There's no way you can have a zero vacuum touching a oxygen-rich environment without a barrier

This to, is ridiculous.

For starters Air is more then Oxygen. Pure air is a mixture of several gases that are invisible and odourless. It consists of about 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and less than 1% of argon, carbon dioxide, and other gases — as well as varying amounts of water vapour. It also has Mass. extreamly light mass, but still mass. Which works out great because of a little thing call Gravity. The amount of pull from gravity of earth is enough to keep those heaver gases lower in the troposphere, but the lighter gases out in the stratosphere. Where a stable band of air creates the ozone.

Now Outer Space is also not a complete vacuum.It contain a low desity of particles primary hydrogen gas, along with electromagnetic radiation.

Quote:My grandpa is a professor for college for many years and he demonstrated a zero vacuum space inside of a square steel box. When I asked my grandpa how does zero vacuum work in a steel box explained it to me. But when I asked how space being a zero vacuum and Earth being not a zero vacuum how that works without the steel box he said that it is the atmosphere or ozone layer I then asked him what about Apollo Rockets how come they can go right through that barrier he then and admitted I was onto something

Sound to me like your grandfather wanted to continue asking questions. Pitty you didn't follow in his foot steps.

The ozone layer is compacted air. Not a steal box. The greatest thing the rockets need to work past is earths gravity. Which is why the rockets must be so large to hold all the Rocket fuel.

Comets also find what it's like coming into our atmosphere as they burn up on entry.

For the earth to be a sphere there has to be curvature. That's it that's the only thing that makes our Earth a sphere

Quote:Not putting two sticks in the ground and measuring Shadows not staring at a light in the sky thinking it's around we're around. Not gravity

JUST CURVATURE

And there is no curvature you cannot find any.

[Image: 3-as08-14-2383a.jpg]

Quote:I measured

With my measurements the Earth still could be a sphere if it was about eight times the size they say it is.

Laughat

[Image: a33-725a(1).jpg]

Oh shit...this shouldn't exist then.

Quote:So come on Heart you would not have asked me that question if you have truly done your studies on what flat-earthers believe.

I can sit here and tell you everything you know about science because I learn the same stuff and studied it. I know all about the heliocentric system I was raised on it just like you were

But there comes a time when we all need to question if what we were taught was real and Truth because questions like this are unanswerable

Like these questions right here

Doubt full.

Quote:How come I can see San Clemente Island over 68 miles and see the whole island when it's under 2000 feet tall?

Quote:Did the earth forget to curve?
The earth don't have a mind. It is incapable of thought.

Quote:How come from Summer to Winter we're on opposite sides of the sun looking at opposite directions at night time but yet looking at the same exact Stars?

Okay the structure of this question is weird.

The earth is tilted. It's this tilt that causes the seasons. Giving one portion of the planet longer exposure to sun rays. The rest of the answer lies in our rotation. The rotation is not a perfect circle, it's elliptical.

[Image: ea35c86dbfe02c68c36133e16afef2c2.gif]

Because space is really really REALLY REALLY Big! The further the object is away the less it appears to be moving.

And it only appears to you to not be moving because you're mind and eye can't catch movement of the earth because we're afficed to it. But lucky for us we have timelapse cameras.

Quote:How can the Sun change size to our perspective when it is setting or Rising if the Sun is 109 times the size of the Earth at 93 million miles away?

Because of the atmosphere. The curved shape is like a rain drop. It bends light magnifying things when you're looking at it. This is true from any point on the planet you go.

If a flat earth was true as you got closer to the sun the size would change making it's scale smaller as you approached.

Quote:Or why the flights in the southern hemisphere are funky

Flights in the southern hemisphere are funky?

Quote: but you won't know that unless you actually go and look and take your time and study so seriously check out this website flight tracker.net watch planes fly from the southern hemisphere in a way that does not make sense on a globe.

Checked out the websight. Still no idea what he's talking about. They look like normal flight paterns to me. No one lives in Antarctica. So no real flight would go there.

Quote:Where why if you take a compass on a plane when you're flying in the southern hemisphere it gives you different directions than the on-board GPS the plane has

You're compass is attracted to the magnetism.
The GPS system in runs on computer programming.

[Image: 607968main_geomagnetic-field-orig_full.jpg]

The question isn't clear. Are you tryng to get from South Africa to Chile and the compass directs you to London or something?

Quote:Or how a plane can fly at 38,000 feet for 4 hours on my way to Ohio we never adjusted for curvature we stayed at 38,000 feet perfectly for 4 hours

Quote:Do the math seriously it's so easy but nobody will because it doesn't freaking matter and they love their lives and their comfort zone they were taught

Math has little to do with any of the silly question you presented.

Quote:I mean seriously follow me real quick right here

My plane was doing five hundred plus miles an hour. So in 1 hour I have traveled 500 miles. Now let's ask ourselves how much curvature is there in 500 miles let's do the math it's very easy. After you do your math go check one of the 20 different websites on Earth curvature calculators and verify it but here I'll do it for you

500×500×6.474÷12÷5280=25.5 miles of curvature.

So if the Earth is 25,000 miles in circumference in 500 miles there would be 25.5 miles of curvature and remember one mile is 5,280 feet so let's times it

5280×25.5 miles=134640 feet

So in one hour you are traveling around 134640 feet of curvature

134640 feet in one hour so let's divide that one hour by 60 minutes

134640÷60=2244 feet

So every 60 seconds the plane is traveling at 500 miles an hour it should be dipping its nose down 2244 feet

Remember one mile is 5,280 now it's divide that in half 2640 feet = half of a mile.

So that means the plane should be dropping altitude 1/2 of a mile in distance every 60 seconds to keep the same altitude

Just for fun let's divide that number by 60 again for seconds

2244÷60=37.4 feet. Haha

So every single second the plane is driving a 500 miles an hour it should be dropping altitude of 37.4 feet EVERY SINGLE SECOND!

Quote:Please Heart do your studies what you believe or what others believe does not affect me so for me to waste this much time to try to show you the truth is just out a caring for other people because seeing others get lied to sucks

Especially if you have access to a world of information and can't distinguish between fact and fiction.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
19-02-2017, 07:26 AM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2017 07:33 AM by TheInquisition.)
RE: Falling Flat (on his face) Earther...
(18-02-2017 11:40 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  It's been heard not being able to got on the forum as much as I would like. So I've joined a local Atheist Facebook group. On there a meet a nice women that was having a problem with a kid (didn't specify her relation) that offered her $10,000 if she could prove to him the earth was round. She said anything she's presented he's just brushed off. I gave her a link to Carl Sagans video on the subject.

Heart : CommonSensei I have tried with the sticks example, other planets and why is it we can see further from higher ground. Basically he laughed at me ignoring all proof or reason.

CS: Geez lewes. The only other possibilities I could think of reaching him is. Ask him what would he consider proof. And go from there. That or wait a decade or so for the space tourism to become a thing. Why dose he think everything else in your solar system is spherical but earth wouldn't be?

Heart : CommonSensei so I asked him that very question "why would the earth be any different from other planets?" this is what I got, Its long and honestly I haven't read the whole thing, yet. I copied and pasted it. I need my coffee first Lol

Quote:Sorry took me long to write you back I'm busy working on my new house. But seriously this is how I know you have not done your research on what others believe you stick to your own biased opinion. Get out of your comfort zone and listen to other people and listen to what they believe because of their eyes and senses and they are doing their own real scientific studies and not just believe because of their TV shows them something.

Smug. I also can't wait to hear what he has to say. Mostly because I already know how hypocritical he's about to be.

Quote:You owe it to yourself as a human being to study everything this place has to offer. You've definitely done your studies on NASA's side and the whole heliocentric universe. But in 2015 there was a few thousand people have believed the Earth was flat it is now 2017 and over 400 million believe and it keeps growing.

Where did he find these numbers from? Honestly. I even visited the Flat Earth Society webpage https://theflatearthsociety.org/home/ and didn't find anything on numbers of people that identify as Flat Earthers. 400 million?! The US population right now is 318.9 million. That means everyone in america and then some think the world is flat?!

Come on man!

Quote: Because truth will reveal itself. Just like the video of San Clemente Island I have you can not debunk it there is no way. I've talked to people all over the world about that video people who are totally against that video still can't debunk it even the physicist and mathematicians.

I don't know what this San Clemente Island video is.

I've talked to people in different parts of the world too. And that all said you were and idiot.

...Seeing how I didn't watch the video can't respond if physicists and mathematicians can't figure it out. My gut feeling is they don't know what this claim is or he just refuses what they would say. So...

Quote:Answer to your question.
On a geocentric Earth the Sun and Moon and Stars revolve inside the firmament above us( inside the firmament remember that part) there are no other planets they are only but wandering Stars.

Dodgy

[Image: MJ+2014+Firmament+Flood+and+creation.gif]

The sun is 5,778 K. That's 27 million degrees Fahrenheit. What your suggesting is that we are sitting in a glass jar. With not only 1 but billions of suns. Each emiting there own heat, each always on.

Quote:A telescope over the price of five grand will show you or my camera.

...your camera.

Here's some powerful telescopes. Well over 5 grand.

[Image: ObservatoryAerialCover.jpg]

This last photo is of The Palomar Observatory. It's open to the public. I garentee it's a lot stronger then your camera. So I know it's in his area.

Now the other problem that we have with land based telescopes is the wakey atmosphere. That's why they build Telescopes like this.

[Image: 339A3AFD00000578-3562562-The_covers_have...412148.jpg]

This is the James web Telescope that cost 8.7 Billion to build. It will allow us to see father then we've ever seen.

[Image: 3056720-inline-i-1-hubble-probes.png]

There are also other things that we can see with out telescopes. Radio waves, Micro Waves and understanding the speed of light are just few of the methods that we examine the universe.

Quote:I mean seriously do you really think that all the other planets are around and I believe we're flying around space like a frisbee? That is just ridiculous.

It sure is.

Quote:Space does not exist there is no such thing as outer space. There's no way you can have a zero vacuum touching a oxygen-rich environment without a barrier

This to, is ridiculous.

For starters Air is more then Oxygen. Pure air is a mixture of several gases that are invisible and odourless. It consists of about 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and less than 1% of argon, carbon dioxide, and other gases — as well as varying amounts of water vapour. It also has Mass. extreamly light mass, but still mass. Which works out great because of a little thing call Gravity. The amount of pull from gravity of earth is enough to keep those heaver gases lower in the troposphere, but the lighter gases out in the stratosphere. Where a stable band of air creates the ozone.

Now Outer Space is also not a complete vacuum.It contain a low desity of particles primary hydrogen gas, along with electromagnetic radiation.

Quote:My grandpa is a professor for college for many years and he demonstrated a zero vacuum space inside of a square steel box. When I asked my grandpa how does zero vacuum work in a steel box explained it to me. But when I asked how space being a zero vacuum and Earth being not a zero vacuum how that works without the steel box he said that it is the atmosphere or ozone layer I then asked him what about Apollo Rockets how come they can go right through that barrier he then and admitted I was onto something

Sound to me like your grandfather wanted to continue asking questions. Pitty you didn't follow in his foot steps.

The ozone layer is compacted air. Not a steal box. The greatest thing the rockets need to work past is earths gravity. Which is why the rockets must be so large to hold all the Rocket fuel.

Comets also find what it's like coming into our atmosphere as they burn up on entry.

For the earth to be a sphere there has to be curvature. That's it that's the only thing that makes our Earth a sphere

Quote:Not putting two sticks in the ground and measuring Shadows not staring at a light in the sky thinking it's around we're around. Not gravity

JUST CURVATURE

And there is no curvature you cannot find any.

[Image: 3-as08-14-2383a.jpg]

Quote:I measured

With my measurements the Earth still could be a sphere if it was about eight times the size they say it is.

Laughat

[Image: a33-725a(1).jpg]

Oh shit...this shouldn't exist then.

Quote:So come on Heart you would not have asked me that question if you have truly done your studies on what flat-earthers believe.

I can sit here and tell you everything you know about science because I learn the same stuff and studied it. I know all about the heliocentric system I was raised on it just like you were

But there comes a time when we all need to question if what we were taught was real and Truth because questions like this are unanswerable

Like these questions right here

Doubt full.

Quote:How come I can see San Clemente Island over 68 miles and see the whole island when it's under 2000 feet tall?

Quote:Did the earth forget to curve?
The earth don't have a mind. It is incapable of thought.

Quote:How come from Summer to Winter we're on opposite sides of the sun looking at opposite directions at night time but yet looking at the same exact Stars?

Okay the structure of this question is weird.

The earth is tilted. It's this tilt that causes the seasons. Giving one portion of the planet longer exposure to sun rays. The rest of the answer lies in our rotation. The rotation is not a perfect circle, it's elliptical.

[Image: ea35c86dbfe02c68c36133e16afef2c2.gif]

Because space is really really REALLY REALLY Big! The further the object is away the less it appears to be moving.

And it only appears to you to not be moving because you're mind and eye can't catch movement of the earth because we're afficed to it. But lucky for us we have timelapse cameras.

Quote:How can the Sun change size to our perspective when it is setting or Rising if the Sun is 109 times the size of the Earth at 93 million miles away?

Because of the atmosphere. The curved shape is like a rain drop. It bends light magnifying things when you're looking at it. This is true from any point on the planet you go.

If a flat earth was true as you got closer to the sun the size would change making it's scale smaller as you approached.

Quote:Or why the flights in the southern hemisphere are funky

Flights in the southern hemisphere are funky?

Quote: but you won't know that unless you actually go and look and take your time and study so seriously check out this website flight tracker.net watch planes fly from the southern hemisphere in a way that does not make sense on a globe.

Checked out the websight. Still no idea what he's talking about. They look like normal flight paterns to me. No one lives in Antarctica. So no real flight would go there.

Quote:Where why if you take a compass on a plane when you're flying in the southern hemisphere it gives you different directions than the on-board GPS the plane has

You're compass is attracted to the magnetism.
The GPS system in runs on computer programming.

[Image: 607968main_geomagnetic-field-orig_full.jpg]

The question isn't clear. Are you tryng to get from South Africa to Chile and the compass directs you to London or something?

Quote:Or how a plane can fly at 38,000 feet for 4 hours on my way to Ohio we never adjusted for curvature we stayed at 38,000 feet perfectly for 4 hours

Quote:Do the math seriously it's so easy but nobody will because it doesn't freaking matter and they love their lives and their comfort zone they were taught

Math has little to do with any of the silly question you presented.

Quote:I mean seriously follow me real quick right here

My plane was doing five hundred plus miles an hour. So in 1 hour I have traveled 500 miles. Now let's ask ourselves how much curvature is there in 500 miles let's do the math it's very easy. After you do your math go check one of the 20 different websites on Earth curvature calculators and verify it but here I'll do it for you

500×500×6.474÷12÷5280=25.5 miles of curvature.

So if the Earth is 25,000 miles in circumference in 500 miles there would be 25.5 miles of curvature and remember one mile is 5,280 feet so let's times it

5280×25.5 miles=134640 feet

So in one hour you are traveling around 134640 feet of curvature

134640 feet in one hour so let's divide that one hour by 60 minutes

134640÷60=2244 feet

So every 60 seconds the plane is traveling at 500 miles an hour it should be dipping its nose down 2244 feet

Remember one mile is 5,280 now it's divide that in half 2640 feet = half of a mile.

So that means the plane should be dropping altitude 1/2 of a mile in distance every 60 seconds to keep the same altitude

Just for fun let's divide that number by 60 again for seconds

2244÷60=37.4 feet. Haha

So every single second the plane is driving a 500 miles an hour it should be dropping altitude of 37.4 feet EVERY SINGLE SECOND!

Quote:Please Heart do your studies what you believe or what others believe does not affect me so for me to waste this much time to try to show you the truth is just out a caring for other people because seeing others get lied to sucks

Especially if you have access to a world of information and can't distinguish between fact and fiction.

There's a drop of approximately 8 inches of height for every mile, his math is way off. Not surprising, I wonder what post-hoc insanity he would invoke to explain why mountains become obscure to the horizon exactly in accordance to a spherical Earth? Or why the time has to be adjusted as you travel far enough in an airplane? Or why it's dark in Australia when it's daylight in North America?

Too bad you can't talk people out of their tree of stupidity as easily as they ignorantly scramble up on it's precarious branches.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
19-02-2017, 08:07 AM
He's never watched a video of one of the SpaceX rockets, where they record the entire process of going up into space and orbiting the (quite obviously spherical) planet?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
19-02-2017, 08:22 AM
Funny thing... I was a member of the Flat Earth Society forum for a couple of years (as a bit of a light-hearted, brain-dead pastime). They eventually banned me permanently for demanding logical answers to my numerous embarrassing questions about their scientific/astronomical competency LOL.

This type of silly claim reared its head nearly every week...

"So that means the plane should be dropping altitude 1/2 of a mile in distance every 60 seconds to keep the same altitude."

They couldn't (wouldn't?) acknowledge that if any plane did this—by assuming a nose-down attitude—then it'd very quickly collide with the earth's surface. They just couldn't grasp that the locus of the plane was centred on the CoG of the earth, and satisfied the science of Newtonian laws. They also refuted the fact that the gravitational theory refers to the distance between the CoGs of the two subject bodies—and not their surface-to-surface separation.

[Image: law_of_gravity.jpg]

Tongue

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
19-02-2017, 08:24 AM
(19-02-2017 08:07 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  He's never watched a video of one of the SpaceX rockets, where they record the entire process of going up into space and orbiting the (quite obviously spherical) planet?

Or never actually been up in an airliner.
Some stupidity is incompatible with life. Facepalm
(No wonder we have DT for our president).

Life is too short.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
19-02-2017, 09:21 AM
(19-02-2017 08:24 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Or never actually been up in an airliner.

True; the curvature of the Earth can be seen anywhere between 45,000ft and 70,000 feet—depending on atmospheric conditions. Or, travel from the top of One World Trade Center to ground level by elevator, and watch the sun rise twice—strange on a purported flat earth LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 4 users Like SYZ's post
22-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Just out of curiosity, does this flat-earther kid go by the name of Bookhitter? His replies look very much like those of a flat-earther troll who was recently banned from the Amazon Science Forum.
22-02-2017, 10:27 PM
(22-02-2017 06:15 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  Just out of curiosity, does this flat-earther kid go by the name of Bookhitter? His replies look very much like those of a flat-earther troll who was recently banned from the Amazon Science Forum.

Nah.

His name's King Isildur.

Laughat

Disappointing theists since 1968
[+] 1 user Likes A. Secular Human's post
22-02-2017, 10:58 PM
Usually pointless engaging in people like that. They are so confident in their beliefs that they offer a "reward" which will never be claimed because they will always deny any evidence brought up to them because they are so sure they are right.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
23-02-2017, 06:39 PM
(22-02-2017 10:27 PM)A. Secular Human Wrote:  
(22-02-2017 06:15 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  Just out of curiosity, does this flat-earther kid go by the name of Bookhitter? His replies look very much like those of a flat-earther troll who was recently banned from the Amazon Science Forum.

Nah.

His name's King Isildur.

Laughat

Don't know. As I said in my opening he's related to a Atheist in a facebook group. They tend to repeat the same garbage thou.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin