Falling into authoritarianism again.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2014, 06:11 PM
Falling into authoritarianism again.
I don't know what it as about these types of arguments, but they really affect me. In particular, Sye Ten Bruggencate. He utterly destroys anyone he debates with. I'm at the point now where I feel like I know that God exists, and I know that he will send me to hell. I really don't want to believe this, but there doesn't seem to be any way to escape. Sye must be a masochist, I don't see how he can possibly be happy about this.

Truth seeker.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2014, 06:25 PM
RE: Falling into authoritarianism again.
I don't see how refusing to actually debate = destroying opponents. Huh
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
09-06-2014, 06:53 PM
(09-06-2014 06:11 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  I don't know what it as about these types of arguments, but they really affect me. In particular, Sye Ten Bruggencate. He utterly destroys anyone he debates with. I'm at the point now where I feel like I know that God exists, and I know that he will send me to hell. I really don't want to believe this, but there doesn't seem to be any way to escape. Sye must be a masochist, I don't see how he can possibly be happy about this.

There is no evidence that any supernatural force exists. Indeed, the oppossite is true.

There is a universe. Human beings exist as part of that universe. Thus far humans do not know how the universe came to be. There is a team working on this question and they appear to make progress. This research is expected to take some time.

There is another, less intelligent team. Faced with the unknown and fearful of their impending death and non existence, they have thrown up their hands and buried their fear in delusion and false hopes. This fear has been supported by threats by the irony of using fear to dispell fear.

Sye is a member of the latter camp.

If you find yourself falling into this idea of a life spent fearing fear, I suggest you take a stroll. Or perhaps listen to someone like Lawrence Kraus give a lecture.

I am currently facing the mortality of my existence. I may vanish a bit sooner than I would have liked. However, I am here now. I experience this moment which leads to another. It is wonderful to read your post and be able to respond. Hello there. Having a bad day? Sorry to hear that.

What we do is up to us. We are lucky. We live in countries that at present allow us to think as we like. People like Sye used to hunt us down and slaughter us. In some places they still do.

Do you want to be on Jeremy's team?

Ha! That is enough to give anyone the willies. The Brain Dead Camp.

Sorry to ramble. I am on heavy meds.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
09-06-2014, 07:45 PM
(09-06-2014 06:53 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Do you want to be on Jeremy's team?

No, but his position seems more rational. I really don't want to be on his "team", it feels very cult-like.

Truth seeker.
09-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Jeremy's team seems more rational? Please explain.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
09-06-2014, 08:02 PM
(09-06-2014 06:11 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  I don't know what it as about these types of arguments, but they really affect me. In particular, Sye Ten Bruggencate. He utterly destroys anyone he debates with. I'm at the point now where I feel like I know that God exists, and I know that he will send me to hell. I really don't want to believe this, but there doesn't seem to be any way to escape. Sye must be a masochist, I don't see how he can possibly be happy about this.

If a tree falls in a forest can hardly be called a persuasive argument for sanity let alone a supernatural entity.

Just because most people can't understand the nonsense Sye spouts does not give him the win via forfeit.

if you really believe this then explain WHY ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
09-06-2014, 08:09 PM
(09-06-2014 08:02 PM)sporehux Wrote:  

If a tree falls in a forest can hardly be called a persuasive argument for sanity let alone a supernatural entity.

Just because most people can't understand the nonsense Sye spouts does not give him the win via forfeit.

if you really believe this then explain WHY ?

Not believing is self-refuting, as Sye pointed out several times in that debate.

Truth seeker.
09-06-2014, 08:20 PM
I have four arms and three toes on my left hand.

Do you believe me?

Non belief is self refuting.

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
09-06-2014, 10:52 PM
(09-06-2014 08:09 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Not believing is self-refuting, as Sye pointed out several times in that debate.

Sye was unable to explain that without appeals to secret knowledge, are you able to explain why you think it is a valid statement.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 3 users Like sporehux's post
10-06-2014, 12:29 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 03:14 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Sye's argument relies upon the assumption that his god does not lie or mislead him, something that he is absolutely incapable of verifying. His god could exist, and yet still be feeding Sye false information, and Sye could never know the difference. So Sye's argument from hidden knowledge is him just blowing a lot of smoke up your ass. Chill out, Sye is a fucking idiot. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post