Fallout 3

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2012, 01:09 AM
RE: Fallout 3
Just started playing NV, again, but this time I an going with Powder Gangers and The Legion. First time I was a classic NCR hound, good and caring, killing all the Powder Gangers and Legionnaires on sight.

I just love this Powder Gangers - Power Rangers shit...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
26-11-2012, 07:07 AM
(26-11-2012 01:09 AM)Filox Wrote:  Just started playing NV, again, but this time I an going with Powder Gangers and The Legion. First time I was a classic NCR hound, good and caring, killing all the Powder Gangers and Legionnaires on sight.

I just love this Powder Gangers - Power Rangers shit...
If you're going to be an ass hole in the game try to wipe out the Brother Hood of Steel first, then you can start out with really powerful weapons without worrying about the consequences. Then go to the two places where the Enclave remnant armor, because if you can't get gannon's family tesla armor you might as well have the second best armor. Hope you have fun!
27-11-2012, 12:00 AM
Oh yeah, the Enclave, that's right. Thanx, I almost forgot about the Enclave soldiers. Cool.

-Hunter S. Thompson
15-12-2012, 02:11 PM
There's a mod to remove that horrible green filter. Fellout I think it's called. You can find it on the fallout 3 nexus. For mods, that place is the best bet.
18-12-2012, 06:44 AM
Nexus is a great place for all things Fallout related. But what green filter? That is the radiation in the air, why would I want to remove that form my game?

Big Grin

-Hunter S. Thompson
08-01-2013, 03:05 AM
Love Fallout, and I have since the first one came out back in 1997. I've own a copy of every Fallout game, including 1, 2, Tactics, Brotherhood of Steel (yes, even that POS), 3, and New Vegas. So yeah, you could say I'm a fan...

Fallout 3 was developed by Bethesda Softworks, the same guys that created and continue to release the spectacular Elder Scrolls series. And everything that is great about the Elder Scrolls, is what they nail in Fallout 3.

The whole game feels like one uniform world. When it comes to an engrossing and consistent setting, the guys at Bethesda nailed it. Nothing looks out of place, everything looks like it just belongs where it is. This includes all of the equipment, weapons, and armors. Everything just works, and this is really all summed up with the PipBoy 3000. All of the in game menus are collected together and displayed on an in-game item that perfectly matches the game's aesthetic.

The writing and story telling is a little weaker. The end of the game, without all of the DLC, is one of those 'love it or hate it' deals.The DLC is imaginative and a lot of fun, and is best thought of as mini-expansion packs. The mechanics are fun, but once you've played New Vegas, it's hard to go back.

New Vegas on the other had was developed by Obsidian Entertainment, known for making sequels to other developer's games (Knight of the Old Republic 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Dungeon Siege 3), and for always biting off more than they can chew (Alpha Protocol). In this case however, a lot of the senior guys at Obsidian were former employees at Black Isle Studios, and had work on Fallout 1 & 2. So New Vegas can really be seen as more of a direct sequel to those two games.

New Vegas takes place in the Mojave Wasteland, in and around the remnants of Las (New) Vegas. NV has much better writing and characters, and arguably a better story. I also really enjoy the reworked Perks and Skills, the Hardcore Mode, and the inclusion of the 4th wall breaking humor of the older Fallout games that was missing in FO3.

However the game isn't nearly as uniformed in design and quality as FO3 was. The new art assets that were created for NW usually stand out, or at least they do to me because I went to school for this stuff. Whereas FO3 had all imaginary weapons, that were inspired by real weapons, but that all had a consistent feel. NV introduced many real-world weapons, and many if not all just don't mesh with the earlier FO3 aesthetic. This also applies to the armors, very few of which look as nice as the FO3 ones because of subpar texture work and skeleton weight bugs that lead to animation glitches. Also, NV is just a lot buggier and will crash more often than FO3. Both games are greatly improved by the 'Unofficial Patches' that are available for them.

But in the end, more options and more interesting base mechanics has me coming back to NV more often than FO3. So take that for what you will, they're both excellent games, but they excel in different areas. I have never been so lost and immersed in a game world as when I played Fallout 1 and 3 for the first times. But I found myself playing Fallout 2 and New Vegas more because of more engaging mechanics.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
08-01-2013, 01:31 PM
I cant really say much after reading the review above mine *lol* But I really enjoyed Fallout 3.

However I had a harder time getting to to NV. I'm not really sure why. Just lacked something that 3 had. *shrug*

Bethesda however is the -best- game house out there and Skyrim is amazing. I'd love to see them do a Fallout with that engine Smile

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
08-01-2013, 11:21 PM
(08-01-2013 01:31 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Bethesda however is the -best- game house out there and Skyrim is amazing. I'd love to see them do a Fallout with that engine Smile
Hopefully, given their track record, they will announce it at this year's E3. It would hopefully be out by holiday 2013, and definitely no latter than holiday 2014. But that has to be their next project.

I'm more curious about where it is going to take place. I was hoping the next Fallout would take place further north, maybe even in the 'Commonwealth' (i.e. Pennsylvania) hinted at in Fallout 3. Or even further north, but something with more snow and less sand, coming off of New Vegas. I had fun stomping around in my backyard with The Pitt DLC in Fallout 3. Walking around the bend, seeing one of the bridges over the Allegheny river and digital recreation of the Pittsburgh skyline (complete with recognizable landmarks, like the PPG Place) was amazing.

But then again, Skyrim is full of snow. Which would be great from a technology perspective, the engine already handles procedural snow fall and textures. I'm just curious if they'll do two games in a row with cold environments.

So short of revisiting the deserts of New Vegas, the temperate weather of the Capitol, or the frozen wastes of north; where else would you have a Fallout game? The next best idea would be the swamps and wetlands of the south and gulf coast. This was supposed to be the setting for the canceled sequel to Fallout Tactics, the wetlands of Florida.

09-01-2013, 03:31 AM
Ah, yes, finally someone who played all Fallout games... Tell me, why do you think that NV had too many real weapons, when all of them and much much more were in the Fallout Tactics? Also, some of the weapons that were missing in the F3, but were introduced in NV are from original 1/2/Tactics. Like Bozar...

I loved the setting of the F3, the geographical area, but NV had better story, companions and the whole faction thing, with all these factions. Reminds me of F2, with all those liquor producers and their factions...

-Hunter S. Thompson
09-01-2013, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2013 02:14 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(09-01-2013 03:31 AM)Filox Wrote:  Ah, yes, finally someone who played all Fallout games... Tell me, why do you think that NV had too many real weapons, when all of them and much much more were in the Fallout Tactics? Also, some of the weapons that were missing in the F3, but were introduced in NV are from original 1/2/Tactics. Like Bozar...

I loved the setting of the F3, the geographical area, but NV had better story, companions and the whole faction thing, with all these factions. Reminds me of F2, with all those liquor producers and their factions...

To be fair, I think that Bethesda had the right idea in Fallout 3 with sticking closer to the streamlined aesthetic of the original Fallout. The original had a small selection of real world firearms, but they were the exception, not the rule. If you look at the Fallout Wiki, you can see that most of the weapons were original takes on concepts, or sufficiently generic that they didn't raise any eyebrows.

Then you get into more real world weapon in Fallout 2, and even more so in Tactics. To be fair, modeling weapons after real world counterparts is easier than trying to be creative and make up things from scratch. Also, Tactics wasn't developed by Black Isle. It was done by another team, known as MicroForte, and most everything that happened in that game has been written of as non-canonical by Bethesda.

While not as noticeable in the older 2D games with their zoomed out, isometric, sprite based graphics; it is really noticeable in the newer FO3 and NV. Just look at the pistols for example. FO3's basic sidearm is the '10mm Pistol', it's big a bulky, but very cool looking (the original 10mm Pistol in FO1&2 was based off of the gun in the Frank Miller graphic novel 'Hard Boiled'). It's sheer mass would make a Desert Eagle blush, it's intimidating even of it's not terribly powerful. All in all, a very nice weapon design. In NV, the basic sidearm is the '9mm Pistol', which is modeled after the real world Browning HiPower, circa 1950. This little thing is half the size of the 10mm Pistol, but does the same damage. It's also far more effective in game as well. The 9mm Pistol has good iron sights, because it's based off of a real weapon where you would really have to use them. The 10mm Pistol wasn't designed with that in mind, because FO3 didn't support aiming down the weapon sights, fine aiming just zoomed the screen in. The two designs ultimately have different goals in mind (aesthetics vs real world utility), and this shows in game.

Now that isn't to say that everything added in NV was a dud. The Laser RCW looks like the love child of a Thompson SMG and a tesla coil, and they perfectly nailed that old Fallout feel with that weapon. But then you see them compared to all of the copies of real world weapons, and they stand out instead of meshing together. You know what? I'm going to just make a freakin' infographic to explain all of this...

*1 hour later*

Tah-Dah!

[Image: FO3vsNVinfographic_zps34d94da6.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fallout 1 or 2 anyone? An_Theist 11 184 07-05-2014 08:23 AM
Last Post: sporehux
  Fallout 4: The Survivor 2299 Ferdinand 40 1,117 16-12-2013 01:56 AM
Last Post: houseofcantor
  FREE FALLOUT GAMES !!: 30 Hours left to claim..... sporehux 3 173 12-12-2013 11:28 PM
Last Post: Anudist
  Ridiculously well made Fallout: NV fan movie ELK12695 1 303 01-08-2013 06:02 PM
Last Post: T3hhippie
  Fallout series experts needed UnderTheMicroscope 9 639 03-03-2012 11:17 PM
Last Post: wellspringofderision
  Fallout - Enclaves "final solution" UnderTheMicroscope 18 3,024 29-06-2011 07:31 AM
Last Post: Maskelyne
  Fallout General Green 5 911 20-09-2010 07:17 AM
Last Post: Unbeliever