RE: Fallout 3
My god I've just begun playing this and I am absolutely addicted. It's amazing

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2013, 12:46 AM
(09-01-2013 12:24 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  My god I've just begun playing this and I am absolutely addicted. It's amazing
You should have listened to me when I was writing praises about this game...

As for the weapons in game, yeah, you do have a point, but I can understand the new weapons, because Las Vegas was (mostly) protected from the nuclear blasts and that means people and equipment (guns included) survived. So it does make more sense for NV to have these real weapons that it would make sense if F3 was to have them.

Any news on F4?

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
12-01-2013, 10:09 AM
I don't know why new vegas got so much bad press. when you play new vegas and fallout 3 around the same time new vegas is certainly and improvement on fallout 3, even if the storyline wasn't as stong
13-01-2013, 01:35 AM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2013 06:46 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(10-01-2013 12:46 AM)Filox Wrote:  As for the weapons in game, yeah, you do have a point, but I can understand the new weapons, because Las Vegas was (mostly) protected from the nuclear blasts and that means people and equipment (guns included) survived. So it does make more sense for NV to have these real weapons that it would make sense if F3 was to have them.

But that's the problem, the Fallout universe is not our universe. Fallout takes place in an alternate earth, one that looked like the 'world of tomorrow' as envisioned by American science fiction writers and futurists circa the 1950's. That's why the pre-war advertising looks so retro, why the cars look like nuclear powered 57's Chevy's, and the space craft and robots looks they they were pulled out of an episode of 'Lost in Space' or 'Flash Gordon'. The massive 10mm Pistol, Laser Rifle, and personal Minigun all fit into this unified art direction. The real world weapons break with that style.

The .45 Pistol is a Colt M1911
The 9mm Pistol is a Browning Hi-Power
The Silenced .22 Pistol is a silenced Ruger MarkII .22 Rimfire
The Assault Carbine is a Colt M4 carbine
The Automatic Rifle is a M1918A2 BAR
The Battle Rifle is a M1 Garand
The Light Machine Gun is a M60
The Service Rifle is a M16A1 with wood furniture
The .45 Auto SMG is a M1 Thompson SMG
The 9mm SMG is a M3/A1 'Grease Gun'
the Silenced .22 SMG is an American 180
The Hunting Shotgun is a Mossberg 500
The Grenade Rifle is a M79 'Blooper'

While this is annoying and a tad lazy, I can at least give the older weapons a pass. The Colt 45, BAR, and Thompson were all invented long before WWII even began. Others like the Mossberg 500 that came out in the 60's, and the weapons of the Vietnam war such as the M79 Blooper and M16, are more annoying.

The Marksman Carbine is the worst offender, it is a fully modernized and customized M16 rifle that looks like it was pulled straight out of Call of Duty. This gun pissed me off more than anything else.

[Image: Marksman_carbine.png]

So when I see real world weapons, especially when they clash so much with the established aesthetic, it can take me out of the experience. This probably doesn't bother most people, but then again most people aren't Game Art & Design majors either...

:Edited to Fix Links and Format:

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]