False advertising about Ayn Rand

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2014, 11:20 AM
False advertising about Ayn Rand
I want what Ayn Rand said she offered - a philosophy for living on earth. I would even like to have the near-superhuman powers of an Operating Objectivist, which she shows the heroes in her novels possessing.

I just don't think she pulled it off.

And I laugh at her cultists who claim that Rand revolutionized our understanding of philosophy! psychology! aesthetics! political science! history! the potentials of literature! economics! even human sexuality!

Fortunately this self-deception stops short of claiming that Rand, like many other cult leaders, revolutionized our understanding of diet, fitness and health. The people who knew Rand could see, and smell, that Rand chain smoked, seldom bathed, never exercised, tweaked on amphetamines, ate a bad diet and let her cats spray all over the apartments she lived in. She rejected the mind/body dichotomy, so your moral character allegedly manifests itself in your physical appearance. Objectivist Kool-Aid drinkers have some explaining to do here.

So I wonder when someone will come along with a better kind of mind who can present a philosophy which delivers what Ayn Rand promised but failed at developing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2014, 11:34 AM
RE: False advertising about Ayn Rand
(28-12-2014 11:20 AM)advancedatheist Wrote:  I want what Ayn Rand said she offered - a philosophy for living on earth. I would even like to have the near-superhuman powers of an Operating Objectivist, which she shows the heroes in her novels possessing.

And I laugh at her cultists who claim that Rand revolutionized our understanding of philosophy! psychology! aesthetics! political science! history! the potentials of literature! economics! even human sexuality!

Fortunately this self-deception stops short of claiming that Rand, like many other cult leaders, revolutionized our understanding of diet, fitness and health. The people who knew Rand could see, and smell, that Rand chain smoked, seldom bathed, never exercised, tweaked on amphetamines, ate a bad diet and let her cats spray all over the apartments she lived in. She rejected the mind/body dichotomy, so your moral character allegedly manifests itself in your physical appearance. Objectivist Kool-Aid drinkers have some explaining to do here.

So I wonder when someone will come along with a better kind of mind who can present a philosophy which delivers what Ayn Rand promised but failed at developing.

And presumably you want her to look something like this?

[Image: denise-milani-mobile-wallpaper.jpg]

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
28-12-2014, 11:39 AM
Re: RE: False advertising about Ayn Rand
(28-12-2014 11:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  [quote='advancedatheist' pid='708695' dateline='1419787247']

She's not a redhead. Otherwise, I'd be the first one in line.

Damn. So close.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
28-12-2014, 12:04 PM
(28-12-2014 11:39 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 11:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  [quote='advancedatheist' pid='708695' dateline='1419787247']

Damn. So close.

So they can't have a soul then?

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
28-12-2014, 04:36 PM
The people she was largely influenced by and interpenetrated into her views kinda already had done that.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-12-2014, 04:49 PM
(28-12-2014 11:20 AM)advancedatheist Wrote:  I want what Ayn Rand said she offered - a philosophy for living on earth. I would even like to have the near-superhuman powers of an Operating Objectivist, which she shows the heroes in her novels possessing.

Is she still housed in a glass display case by her followers?
28-12-2014, 05:10 PM
(28-12-2014 11:39 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  

Damn. So close.

Now I wonder where one would find a souless ginger around these parts. Consider
28-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Re: RE: False advertising about Ayn Rand
(28-12-2014 05:10 PM)pablo Wrote:  Now I wonder where one would find a souless ginger around these parts. Consider

Hmm... Consider
30-12-2014, 06:17 AM

Feeling a little in the "ad hominem" mood, are we?

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
30-12-2014, 04:12 PM
(28-12-2014 11:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Why does this picture make me think of basketball?

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
[+] 1 user Likes 666wannabe's post