False ideas about evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2012, 04:48 PM
RE: False ideas about evolution
(22-01-2012 04:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-01-2012 03:58 PM)Jasrace Wrote:  I would ask why creationists are so accepting of the technology scientists and science have given them, but when it comes to the origins of life, creationists thinks science doesn't a clue about what it's talking about.
Even in the south, at the universities, there are departments of evolutionary biology. Creationists' denial of evolution is based on ignorance.

I believe that, by and large, people who deny evolution are the ones who don't understand it.

I think that once someone actually looks at the evidence and understands the mechanism, he/she almost has to be convinced. The hard part seems to be getting them to understand evolution.

I just stated elsewhere that I was very blind to the teaching of evolution, even though I went to public school. Somehow I seemed to have kept my fingers stuck in my ears whenever the subject was broached. But the more I studied astronomy and geology and finally saw the facts of an ancient universe and earth. That was when evolution, and the time required for natural selection, could finally make sense to me.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2012, 10:16 PM
In Tennessee it is still not allowed for teachers at the K-12 level to teach evolution, so I went into college under-prepared. I still managed to get it but I wonder how many never do because of the deficiency created by the fucked up system?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
23-01-2012, 04:58 AM
(22-01-2012 10:16 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  In Tennessee it is still not allowed for teachers at the K-12 level to teach evolution

... are they that scared? The only way they can fight this is to suppress it because if they let it be evaluated objectively they're afraid their pet theory of Stupid will be shown up... Ha!
23-01-2012, 09:07 AM
They have been trying to introduce a bill for years to teach evolution AND Creationism/ID. It spells out that they can teach both but that they HAVE to teach both in science classrooms. So, I don't know what is worse, not being able to teach it outright or having to teach pseudoscience along with it?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
23-01-2012, 09:19 AM
(23-01-2012 09:07 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  They have been trying to introduce a bill for years to teach evolution AND Creationism/ID. It spells out that they can teach both but that they HAVE to teach both in science classrooms. So, I don't know what is worse, not being able to teach it outright or having to teach pseudoscience along with it?

Not being able to teach it is worse, I think.
If you can teach both, at least students are exposed to evolution - ideas that stand on their own merit. And a good teacher has a chance to totally destroy ID.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2012, 09:29 AM
But what do you say about it? Giving it time in the classroom validates it too.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
23-01-2012, 09:33 AM
(23-01-2012 09:29 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  But what do you say about it? Giving it time in the classroom validates it too.

With the choice being neither or both, I think both is the lesser of two evils.

23-01-2012, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2012 10:45 AM by TheBeardedDude.)
(23-01-2012 09:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-01-2012 09:29 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  But what do you say about it? Giving it time in the classroom validates it too.

I disagree, but I have other professors and colleagues that would agree with you. Giving in and teaching the pseudoscience as valid scientific theory gives it credence. Assuming that all science teachers will tell their students it is BS is wishful thinking, especially in Tennessee. Do chemistry teachers have to start teaching alchemy as science? Do astronomy classes have to spend a portion of their classes talking about astrology?
Also keep in mind that the teachers still teach genetics and biology and I had teachers who still mention Darwin. They simply can't say evolution or teach it as a separate theory.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
23-01-2012, 10:52 AM
(23-01-2012 10:44 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(23-01-2012 09:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  

I disagree, but I have other professors and colleagues that would agree with you. Giving in and teaching the pseudoscience as valid scientific theory gives it credence. Assuming that all science teachers will tell their students it is BS is wishful thinking, especially in Tennessee. Do chemistry teachers have to start teaching alchemy as science? Do astronomy classes have to spend a portion of their classes talking about astrology?
Also keep in mind that the teachers still teach genetics and biology and I had teachers who still mention Darwin. They simply can't say evolution or teach it as a separate theory.

You may well be right. But I don't see how one can teach biology with questions related to evolution and abiogenesis arising. So I don't think that teaching neither is really an option.

23-01-2012, 11:22 AM
These Christians manage to cram the most gross misinformation into the shortest clip. Evolution is a hoax and evolutionists are racists.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMgLCpVlaPs

The clip speaks for itself.

The Greatest Show on Earth by Dawkins was his best book in my opinion.