Familiar Religions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Familiar Religions
Hello,
I am trying to make a class about earlier religions than Judaism, Monotheism and Polytheism.

What I'm most interested about is the resemblense between the answers for the "Big questions" - Where did we come from, how will evil end, the end of the world, similar history of key characters and so...

I'll be very glad if you could give me some information through internet or books names.

Thanks alot!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2012, 09:56 AM
RE: Familiar Religions
Everything by Joseph Campbell - particularly:
The Masks of God, The Power of Myth and World Atlas of Mythology.

Mircea Eliade:
From Primitives to Zen (a thematic sourcebook on the history of religions)

Richad Erdoes and Alfonso Ortiz:
American Indian Myths and Legends

Tom Harpur:
The Pagan Christ

Henri Frankfort et al:
Before Philosophy (The intellectual adventure of ancient man)

This is just to get started; there isn't much here about the Far East. The last two books i listed are good background for understanding the origin of the Abrahamic religions.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
30-01-2012, 07:37 PM
The first religion that comes to mind is Zoroastrianism, a monotheistic religion. It shares many characteristics with the big 3. It's based on the teachings of the prophet Zoroaster, and the god is called Ahura Mazda. I find it quite interesting; a whole language called Avestan is devoted to it's texts. I believe it's very similar to Aramaic, the language Jesus would have spoken and the Gospels were written in.

A book I found (haven't read it yet, sorry):
http://www.amazon.com/Zoroastrian-Faith-...077351144X
31-01-2012, 11:25 AM
"The Evolution of God" was a good one that I ran across lately. The book is a good read from start to finish. Although it has a lot of fodder for the unbeliever, he doesn't really set out to disprove anything. The premise deals with god as a concept of the natural human condition and sorta makes it excusable later in the book. He also takes a jab at the whole science verses religion thing and I saw somewhere that Dan Dennett really disliked it. I liked the way he espouses how inanimate objects are often personified by people which probably led to the most earliest forms of religion.

Lots of excerpts here: http://www.evolutionofgod.net/excerpts_chapter1/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2012, 05:13 PM
WOW guys thanks alot! i really hope that I could get my hand on all of these books!
And I also hope that I'll be able to read them in time 0_o...