Family Illness Jackpot

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Family Illness Jackpot
Let's play a game of Slotmachine, shall we?

*pulling lever*

First slot is:

Ohh, a nasty one! My grandmother on my mothers side has contracted Dementia! She no longer remembers me and she's also dying according to her doctors!

The second slot shows:

Oh man, I'm on a roll here! My grandmother on my fathers side has contracted Esophageal cancer(She is home again now after treatment now though, doing pretty well now)!

The third and final slot now! Will it be a jackpot:

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, how lucky is this family! We have a jackpot!
The final slot shows a stroke!

Today my Uncle got a stroke, specifically in the brain, the same type that killed my granddad, but I wasn't even born when that happened. Right now he's at the hospital in Oslo, not able to talk. We don't really know what's been damaged, but I reckon he hasn't lost everything in there. He's alive, which is the good news, but it's not good for the future. I guess it was inevitable; he's a heavy smoker.

And here am I, thinking this week was gonna be calm...

[Image: 9f6.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2013, 03:51 PM
RE: Family Illness Jackpot
Oh sorry! It sucks and have played that game too many times.

Hugs!!!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

20-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Sad

Love you, man. Hug
20-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Hug Sorry to hear about this.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
20-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Sucks dude, sorry. I got heart disease rampant in the family and my grandma was schizophrenic. I believe that can somewhat hereditary.

Pull the lever, all we can do. Hug

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
21-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Thought I'd do an update. My uncle can now move his left leg slightly, and he uses him thumb in handprints to communicate(I reckon it's like one press means yes while two means no). But he cannot talk. But I reckon he'll regain most of what is needed after time.

Thanks for the replies too.

21-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Sorry to hear about all these health issues ELK. But it's great to hear that your uncle is already making progress. It's a great sign that he can understand how to communicate in a new way. The medical community can do wonderful things, they taught my dad how to walk after a stroke and again after an accident. He didn't lose speech though.

Lots of things can be battled through...sucks that they happen in the first place but the medical community can do amazing things to make people whole again.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
21-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Now I see what was going on. Hug

21-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Sorry man. Glad your uncle is doing better now though.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
24-10-2013, 01:27 AM
I got some good news and some bad ones.

The good goes first this time. My uncle can now sit up, and he can move and eat on his own. He is still unable to talk, but I think he'll regain that too.

Now for the bad news. My other uncle, notably my granduncle on my fathers side, my granddad's brother, Ove, is deadly sick with cancer. I don't know why my mother hadn't told me this before yesterday. I don't really know Ove very well; he doesn't come over for stuff like chrismas. I don't want to more than that, but this without a doubt is harder on my grandparents.

Keep thinking I'm Lando is this vid:

I think that's all the venting I'm capable of for a long time. I feel a bit sick, need to calm down.