Family against me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2014, 01:01 AM
Family against me
So a few months back I told my mom that I did no belive in god and she thought I was joking and crazy but after I managed to convince her I wasen't she didin't talk to me for a week.Then she goes and tells my grandparents and they all go and tell me how the word of god is great and whatnot.My family is very traditional so I guess I could understand where there coming from so I took what they said without paying no mind to it but my patience broke when my mom even went so far as dragging me to church, saying I had the devil in me and to top it all of she now want me to do some crazy catholic thing.
That really pisses me off honestly because she is shoving her religion in my face when I never once disrespected her or in what she belives in.
Does it get better or will it allways be like this? I'm really confused and not know what to do I've tried talking to her but she allways pulls the same religious bs and now I'm at a loss and really don't know what to do.[/font]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2014, 10:53 AM
RE: Family against me
It does get better. I take it you are young, too young to be on your own at this point. Remember, most of your life you will not be living there. Keep your head up, dude.
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
05-09-2014, 11:20 AM
(05-09-2014 01:01 AM)Gav Wrote:  So a few months back I told my mom that I did no belive in god and she thought I was joking and crazy but after I managed to convince her I wasen't she didin't talk to me for a week.Then she goes and tells my grandparents and they all go and tell me how the word of god is great and whatnot.My family is very traditional so I guess I could understand where there coming from so I took what they said without paying no mind to it but my patience broke when my mom even went so far as dragging me to church, saying I had the devil in me and to top it all of she now want me to do some crazy catholic thing.
That really pisses me off honestly because she is shoving her religion in my face when I never once disrespected her or in what she belives in.
Does it get better or will it allways be like this? I'm really confused and not know what to do I've tried talking to her but she allways pulls the same religious bs and now I'm at a loss and really don't know what to do.[/font]

Without using your name, do you mind me posting this story on my FB page. This can help others in your position and even my own adult sister who went through the same thing.

It depends on the individuals in your family. Some may never accept it but as long as you keep showing them you love them in time they wont see you with a third eye. Others however have had to cut ties with family because it became too emotionally draining to deal with.

I'd say if you are young and still living under their roof and they are paying your bills, dont make it an issue and do your bitching online with other atheists in a venue they do not have access to and use a name you know they wont figure out. Other than that, stay in school, be helpful at home and don't make it an issue.

You'll be out on your own soon enough.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2014, 12:38 PM
They prefer their fairy tales to you. You will have to deal with it. Most families are fucked up.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
06-09-2014, 01:24 AM
(05-09-2014 01:01 AM)Gav Wrote:  So a few months back I told my mom that I did no belive in god and she thought I was joking and crazy but after I managed to convince her I wasen't she didin't talk to me for a week.Then she goes and tells my grandparents and they all go and tell me how the word of god is great and whatnot.My family is very traditional so I guess I could understand where there coming from so I took what they said without paying no mind to it but my patience broke when my mom even went so far as dragging me to church, saying I had the devil in me and to top it all of she now want me to do some crazy catholic thing.

Tell her that you will go to church if she can give proof that Amaterasu, Baron Semedi and Cthulu do not exist. Once they understand why they do not believe in Cthulu or Amaterasu, they might have a small chance at having some kind of idea why Jesus does not exist.....or Yahweh.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
08-09-2014, 08:08 AM
(06-09-2014 01:24 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Tell her that you will go to church if she can give proof that Amaterasu, Baron Semedi and Cthulu do not exist. Once they understand why they do not believe in Cthulu or Amaterasu, they might have a small chance at having some kind of idea why Jesus does not exist.....or Yahweh.

Sadly, if she's dragging her kid to church, I doubt this will work. She doesn't sound open to reasonable discussion.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
08-09-2014, 08:37 AM
First- welcome.

Second- there is a teens section to the forum, you certainly aren't alone.

Third- Hug I know it can't be easy. Come here to talk it out.

Fourth- your parents most likely will never change their stance on Their religion but hopefully you can figure out a way for them to respect you and your right to choose your own beliefs.

Fifth- if you think your parents might throw you out, or cut off support, and you have no where to go, many of us here feel it's ok to " fake it till you make it" out on your own and can be self supporting. We find parents that withdraw support for minors based on religious based reprehensible. You don't have to be out of the closet, but you do need food and shelter.

Sixth- if you can't negotiate a peaceful arrangement, then you need to make plans to be self supporting. No more spending money on video games, save for rent, for basic things like dishes, figure out your education goals and how you will meet them, find a job, etc. start working on that plan, the details, and the amounts you will need to make it work.

Many parents, while they won't accept your point of view, they will eventually move to a place of acknowledging that you have the right to determine your own path. Freedom of conscious - choosing your own beliefs- is a human rights issue.

If you can get them into family counseling (not through a church counselor), you might gain more ground. Your school should also have a counselor that you can discuss things with or get a referral to family counseling.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller