Family sad and emotionally blackmailing me about my atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2013, 11:55 AM
RE: Family sad and emotionally blackmailing me about my atheism
It's probably also not a bad idea to reitterate that you still love them, you're not going anywhere if they'll accept you as you accept them, and that you just can't lie to yourself anymore about your lack of belief. Facing the fact that you have no belief shouldn't be that hard for them to understand, their "truth" is believing, and your truth is that you don't. I tell my believer family that evidence is simply more important to me than worrying about going to hell, fundamentally I know I'm a good person, and no "good" god would allow an good person to go to hell, thus he must not exist. Simple. They don't have to make that last leap, but my family has at least accepted that it doesn't make sense to punish someone for simply not believing something sight unseen. Hope this helps.

"just an FYI: There are 2 kinds of people in the world -- those who divide everybody into 2 kinds of people & those who don't." Neil deGrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2013, 12:03 PM
RE: Family sad and emotionally blackmailing me about my atheism
(01-11-2013 10:44 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  Been there; done that. When I was 14 years old I could no longer keep my atheism to myself. My mother looked skyward and yelled, "Forgive him father for he knows not what he says." My father accused me of trying to give my mother a fatal heart attack and my sister accused me of trying to make the family implode. I wound up living with my grandparents for a couple months until things cooled off. That was 52 years ago [I'm 66 years old now] and I've had a wonderful life. When I look back on it, my outing as an atheist wasn't even a little bump in the road even though my family went bat shit fucking nuts. No matter what kind of guilt trip they lay on you, trust me, they cannot ruin your life.

But they could make it more difficult if they refuse to pay for college and your grades aren't good enough for scholarships, grants and you have to take loans for your BA. Your freedom will come with your knowledge and ability in school, so Atheistic Freedom for you = GOOD GRADES and a good SAT score. Study hard dude, and don't get distracted by your folks. Best advice I EVER got.

Even now - when things are hard, I pour myself into my work, and my abilities and skill at work always make me feel better, regardless of what is going on in my personal life. It's a refuge from pain and into success. A beautiful thing.

Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're an incredible slouch.

Martin Luther was the "father" of two movements - The Reformation and Nazism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply