Fantasy request. :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2015, 12:40 AM
Fantasy request. :)
I am looking for some very well written fantasy genre stories to read. It can be short or long form. If you have a favourite, or a top 3 if it's your favourite type of story to read, can you please share it? Something you got lost in or made you have the feels. Thanks. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
14-12-2015, 01:05 AM
RE: Fantasy request. :)
I really enjoyed the first two books in The Stormlight Archive. It's by Brandon Sanderson, who finished out Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, if you're familiar with that (I haven't read them).
[+] 1 user Likes Dex's post
14-12-2015, 01:07 AM
[Image: 514X8sQ-M1L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

This series was my bread and butter growing up, and I still go back to read it now and again.

But if you get really into the trilogy and want to read more, I'd suggest this order...

Harper Hall of Pern Trilogy (Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrum)
-A great trilogy telling an alternative perspective of the main trilogy, this time from a few of the Harpers of Pern (basically they're bards, part entertainer, part information network, part teacher), including the charismatic and influential Masterharp Robinton himself.

Renegades of Pern
-Story runs parallel to main trilogy and a little past it, telling the events from many alternate perspectives.

All the Weyrs of Pern
-This is where everything goes science fiction, and it all makes sense.

Dolphins of Pern
-Happens during and after 'All the Weyrs of Pern'.

After these, there are plenty of prequels telling stories from Pern's long history. The series started with Ann McCaffery, and later she got help from her son Todd who continues the series himself to this day.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
14-12-2015, 01:17 AM
Something short and light, which I really enjoyed, is "Tailchaser's song".

Raymond E. Feist has a series that's fairly decent if I recall correctly.

I assume you've read Tolkein, but if you haven't then The Hobbit is a good start for light reading, otherwise Lord of the Rings, but some people do find that to be heavy going. I definitely get lost in it though.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
14-12-2015, 01:21 AM
(14-12-2015 01:07 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: 514X8sQ-M1L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

This series was my bread and butter growing up, and I still go back to read it now and again.

But if you get really into the trilogy and want to read more, I'd suggest this order...

Harper Hall of Pern Trilogy (Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrum)
-A great trilogy telling an alternative perspective of the main trilogy, this time from a few of the Harpers of Pern (basically they're bards, part entertainer, part information network, part teacher), including the charismatic and influential Masterharp Robinton himself.

Renegades of Pern
-Story runs parallel to main trilogy and a little past it, telling the events from many alternate perspectives.

All the Weyrs of Pern
-This is where everything goes science fiction, and it all makes sense.

Dolphins of Pern
-Happens during and after 'All the Weyrs of Pern'.

After these, there are plenty of prequels telling stories from Pern's long history. The series started with Ann McCaffery, and later she got help from her son Todd who continues the series himself to this day.

Is your first photo the first trilogy and then the rest go from there? Or is that one book? I need a simple order, that list overwhelmed me ha ha. (but thank you!)

On that note, I forgot to say in OP I need the books that seriously captivated and drew you in. Pager turner kind of books please, thanks. Smile
14-12-2015, 01:23 AM
(14-12-2015 01:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  Something short and light, which I really enjoyed, is "Tailchaser's song".

Raymond E. Feist has a series that's fairly decent if I recall correctly.

I assume you've read Tolkein, but if you haven't then The Hobbit is a good start for light reading, otherwise Lord of the Rings, but some people do find that to be heavy going. I definitely get lost in it though.

No assumptions, Im a novice. haha. I've read mostly fiction and sci-fi in the past. I can only remember one Fantasy book I loved as a youth and I don't know why I ever stopped, it was an amazing book (I forget the title sadly). Taking it up again and I'm just wanting to be a bit consumed at the moment.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
14-12-2015, 01:34 AM
Stephen R Donaldson's Mordant's Need series

[Image: 510SPVTVYAL._SL1500_.jpg]

[Image: 51-pfLmkJAL._SY400_.jpg]

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
14-12-2015, 01:35 AM
Thanks!

I also forgot to mention I love a good underdog story, if that helps anyone narrow it down for suggestions.
14-12-2015, 01:55 AM
(14-12-2015 01:21 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Is your first photo the first trilogy and then the rest go from there? Or is that one book? I need a simple order, that list overwhelmed me ha ha. (but thank you!)

On that note, I forgot to say in OP I need the books that seriously captivated and drew you in. Pager turner kind of books please, thanks. Smile

Yeah, that image is the paperback collection of the first trilogy.

[Image: pern01_thumb1.jpg?imgmax=800]

The paperback goes for under $12 on Amazon, and both the Kindle and Nook versions go for $10.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
14-12-2015, 01:58 AM
(14-12-2015 01:35 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Thanks!

I also forgot to mention I love a good underdog story, if that helps anyone narrow it down for suggestions.

You'll like the Pern series, as there are quite a few underdogs to get behind. Good money says you'll really like Lessa in Dragonflight (book 1), Jaxom in The White Dragon (book 3), and Menolly in Dragonsinger (book 2 of the Harper Hall trilogy).

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post