Fantasy request. :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2015, 02:36 AM
RE: Fantasy request. :)
(14-12-2015 01:23 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(14-12-2015 01:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  Something short and light, which I really enjoyed, is "Tailchaser's song".

Raymond E. Feist has a series that's fairly decent if I recall correctly.

I assume you've read Tolkein, but if you haven't then The Hobbit is a good start for light reading, otherwise Lord of the Rings, but some people do find that to be heavy going. I definitely get lost in it though.

No assumptions, Im a novice. haha. I've read mostly fiction and sci-fi in the past. I can only remember one Fantasy book I loved as a youth and I don't know why I ever stopped, it was an amazing book (I forget the title sadly). Taking it up again and I'm just wanting to be a bit consumed at the moment.

Another series that's really great, I think, is CS Lewis's Narnia stories. Starting with the Magician's Nephew and continuing with Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Real swords and sorcery stuff.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
14-12-2015, 02:58 AM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2015 03:02 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(14-12-2015 02:36 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-12-2015 01:23 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  No assumptions, Im a novice. haha. I've read mostly fiction and sci-fi in the past. I can only remember one Fantasy book I loved as a youth and I don't know why I ever stopped, it was an amazing book (I forget the title sadly). Taking it up again and I'm just wanting to be a bit consumed at the moment.

Another series that's really great, I think, is CS Lewis's Narnia stories. Starting with the Magician's Nephew and continuing with Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Real swords and sorcery stuff.

As a side note, they're also a thinly veiled Christian allegory. C.S. Lewis is an old school Christian apologist and also authored 'Mere Christianity'.

Aslan is Jesus.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
14-12-2015, 03:17 AM
(14-12-2015 02:58 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  As a side note, they're also a thinly veiled Christian allegory. C.S. Lewis is an old school Christian apologist and also authored 'Mere Christianity'.

Aslan is Jesus.

Rolleyes Still much better fantasy than what's in the Bible.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
14-12-2015, 03:28 AM
(14-12-2015 03:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-12-2015 02:58 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  As a side note, they're also a thinly veiled Christian allegory. C.S. Lewis is an old school Christian apologist and also authored 'Mere Christianity'.

Aslan is Jesus.

Rolleyes Still much better fantasy than what's in the Bible.

No argument there. Tongue

14-12-2015, 04:25 AM
Is it safe to assume that you've read the first and best ... Lord of the Rings

Also superb ... A Song of Ice and Fire

14-12-2015, 04:29 AM
(14-12-2015 04:25 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Is it safe to assume that you've read the first and best ... Lord of the Rings

Also superb ... A Song of Ice and Fire

LoTR is such a painfully slow burn. The first 10 minutes of the movie covers or skips the first half of the book, and it's far better off for it.

14-12-2015, 05:06 AM
(14-12-2015 04:29 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  ...
LoTR is such a painfully delightfully slow burn.

... is why I enjoy it. Each to their own, I guess.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
14-12-2015, 05:24 AM
(14-12-2015 05:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-12-2015 04:29 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  ...
LoTR is such a painfully delightfully slow burn.

... is why I enjoy it. Each to their own, I guess.

I wanted to beat Tom Bombadil to death with a whiffle bat, so that it would take longer....

[Image: pTSA-10111778enh-z6.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
14-12-2015, 06:43 AM
Raymond feist has a nice series.(I've read most of the series, they're quite good, but the newest arent that exciting imo)
I won't mention Tolkien because you probably have read the works.

George r r Martin has a good series going(although I never finished the only book I read, a storm of swordss)
And there is the redwall series by brian jaques(the best fantasy series about rodents ever)
There's the Harry potter series.

Those are the only fantasy series that I can think about on top of my head

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
14-12-2015, 10:28 AM
Thanks! Ill start with the suggestions, Ill bump the thread in a couple months when Im ready for more.

For the record since nearly everyone mentions it- I have (sadly, but excitingly) not read LOTR, but I also have not seen the movies, so I can experience the whole thing unfolding without knowing much more than the media hype (something about shall not passing?).

I'm pumped for the books. Woot!
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post