Fantasy request. :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2015, 03:16 PM
RE: Fantasy request. :)
For a relatively light read the Inheritance Cycle (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, Inheritance) classic hero story follows the titular character of the first book and his dragon Saphira as they fight to free their country of an oppressive and undying King. Fun read the author was like 15 when he wrote the first book and it does show a bit but as the series progressed you could see the narrative mature. Has an interesting take on what is evil and how Magic effects a world.

The Dragon Quartet is another fun read the first book is kind of an odd duck as the following 3 do not really follow the story per say. Time Travel features prominently in this story. Each book introduces a new Dragon and their Human Guide to the story Beginning with the book of Earth and his human a young girl from a germanic barony named Erde.

If you don't mind a tie in to an intellectual property the Magic the Gathering books are mostly good. The Ravnica series is fantastic.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
14-12-2015, 03:30 PM
As far as I'm concerned, John Christopher's sci-fi novel series "The Tripods" is a mandatory read for any sci-fi fan. Yes, it's that good. Yes

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
15-12-2015, 07:12 AM
Fantasy:

Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn Trilogy:
The Dragonbone Chair
The Stone of Farewell
To Green Angel Tower pt.1
To Green Angel Tower pt.2

This one is truly epic. Very well done. Very long though. He also wrote Tailchaser's Song mentioned above. That one was good also.

The original Conan works by Robert Howard:
The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian
The Conquering Sword of Conan
The Bloody Crown of Conan

Ignore anything not written by R.E. Howard in regards to Conan.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
15-12-2015, 07:58 AM
A bit high brow but good stuff

Terry Pratchett's 'Going Postal'
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Grassy Knoll's post
15-12-2015, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2015 08:33 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
Easily the best page-turner author in fantasy was David Gemmell, especially his Troy trilogy and his Drenai series... my favorites are the three that involve Waylander the Slayer (Waylander is the first of them).

My personal favorite, other than the short story taken from Tolkien's The Silmarillion, in a separate book called The Children of Húrin, is Elizabeth Moon's 3-in-1 trilogy called The Deed of Paksenarrion.

Edit to Add: If you prefer "Young Adult" fantasy that's still pretty good, I also like most of Mercedes Lackey's books (targeted to teen girls) for their surprisingly gritty realism in a magical realm. Start with the Heralds of Valdemar trilogy, Arrows of the Queen, Arrow's Flight, and Arrow's Fall.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
15-12-2015, 10:31 AM
(15-12-2015 07:58 AM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  A bit high brow but good stuff

Terry Pratchett's 'Going Postal'
To anyone who enjoyed "Going Postal", you should definitely read "Making Money" and "Raising Steam" as well. The main character from the first book, Moist von Lipwig, plays a major part in those novels as well.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
15-12-2015, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2015 11:30 AM by Commonsensei.)
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant: The Unbeliever
The "hero" is a real dick. And the first book has him do some very unhero like actions. Mostly because he doesn't think the world he's in is real. But his actions play out with real repercussions.

I can't remember the title of it but maybe some else here would.
It a story with a kid that is born with a white mark on his hand. It holds a magic that can end a dark sorcers rain. One of his comrades is a shape-shifting bear, and a bitch of a adopted mother is a powerful sorcer. I haven't read it sine I was a teen.

Dragonlance
A epic spawned from D&D adventures. There is an order your suppose to read them in because it has a touch of time travel in it. Chronicles Trilogy, Legends Trilogy, The Second Generation.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen
If you want a Epic Fantasy. This is the story for you. A 10 part series. Not for the average reader. A story the is on pare or above Game of Thrones. The story is like no other Fantasy Novel you will ever read. Time will need to be invested in the first book and a half but I promise you, you'll never look at fantasy the same way again.

Oh

And it's not really a book but a really enjoyable Graphic Fantasy Novel is
Bone.
If a Saterday morning cartoon had a love child with LOTR. You would have Bone. Well rounded, lovable, charaters. Just an all around fun story.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
15-12-2015, 11:33 AM
(15-12-2015 11:00 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Chronicles of Thomas Covenant: The Unbeliever
The "hero" is a real dick. And the first book has him do some very unhero like actions. Mostly because he doesn't think the world he's in is real. But his actions play out with real repercussions.
I read the first trilogy and the first book of the second trilogy. Just not my thing. I've heard others rave about them though.

(15-12-2015 11:00 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I can't remember the title of it but maybe some else here would.
It a story with a kid that is born with a white mark on his hand. It holds a magic that can end a dark sorcers rain. One of his comrades is a shape-shifting bear, and a bitch of a adopted mother is a powerful sorcer. I haven't read it sine I was a teen.

Was it the Belgariad by David Eddings? A five-book series, then a five book sequel.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
15-12-2015, 11:39 AM
(15-12-2015 11:33 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Was it the Belgariad by David Eddings? A five-book series, then a five book sequel.

THAT'S IT! I read Pawn of Prophecy and Queen of Sorcery.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
15-12-2015, 04:33 PM
(14-12-2015 03:30 PM)Vosur Wrote:  As far as I'm concerned, John Christopher's sci-fi novel series "The Tripods" is a mandatory read for any sci-fi fan. Yes, it's that good. Yes

I have found almost no-one else who's ever heard of those books...
Weeping

His post-apocalypse series (or should that be other post-apocalypse series?) is pretty good too.

... this is my signature!