Fantasy request. :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2015, 04:35 PM
RE: Fantasy request. :)
Also, Gene Wolfe is amazing.

The Book of the New Sun kick's poor ol' Lewis's sorry ass right to the curb when it comes to sci-fi/fantasy/mindtrip Jesus pastiches.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2015, 05:05 PM
(15-12-2015 04:33 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-12-2015 03:30 PM)Vosur Wrote:  As far as I'm concerned, John Christopher's sci-fi novel series "The Tripods" is a mandatory read for any sci-fi fan. Yes, it's that good. Yes

I have found almost no-one else who's ever heard of those books...
Weeping

His post-apocalypse series (or should that be other post-apocalypse series?) is pretty good too.

I've read them also. They've been re-issued in the last couple of years.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
15-12-2015, 05:15 PM
Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius

The Circular Ruins

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-12-2015, 05:53 PM
The "Eragon" fantasy novels are very good as well (save for the ending). The movie adaptation of the first book was complete trash, though.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
17-12-2015, 09:08 PM
I'm more of a hard SciFi kind of reader, but Roger Zelazny is way up there for me. I'd recommend anything by Zelazny, especially the Amber Series. You can buy the "Great Book of Amber" as one volume, and it contains all 10 books, for a pretty good savings. Maybe you can see some excerpts at Amazon or somewhere else, to get the flavor. I see the dragon riders of Pern books are mentioned. Great stories. I'll have to look into the other authors and titles I've see here.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
18-12-2015, 03:55 AM
(14-12-2015 12:58 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(14-12-2015 04:29 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  LoTR is such a painfully slow burn. The first 10 minutes of the movie covers or skips the first half of the book, and it's far better off for it.

Shun the non believer......shuuuuuuun!

Sure, I can be Charlie.

[Image: candy-94217560134.jpeg]

Also, Church was my favorite Blue Team member.

[Image: 9d05f5dabae02eaa552d2ebd466db1b690c5f0bd...91f3_1.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
24-02-2016, 01:10 PM
I will put another vote for the Malazan series by Steve Erikson. It is a long commitment but well worth it. The world building is something I've never encountered in a book series. One of the most wonderful aspects of Erikson's writings is that he presents numerous conflicts from different aspects resulting in you not knowing who the "bad" guy is. Erikson does a great job with the conflicts, magic and character development. When it was over, I wondered how any other series could compare. Seriously.

The books are deep and complicated and a paragraph in book2 may have relevance in book 9. The timeline is a bit confusing as well. The TOR website has a re-read section that helps you to understand the depth of the books on a chapter by chapter basis which I recommend. This is an epic 10 plus book story that the Wheel of Time wishes it could be.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
24-02-2016, 01:13 PM
Anything by Juliet Marillier, though there is some romance in it so you have to be okay with that. I'm reading the Mistborn Series by Brandon Sanderson right now and am enjoying it.
02-03-2016, 12:24 AM
The Kingkiller books by Patrick Rothfuss get my vote. Only 2 books so far but they've made an impression - easy to pick up, easy to read, impossible to put down :-D

**No gods, only humanity. There's only ever been us.**
02-03-2016, 09:07 AM
(24-02-2016 01:13 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Anything by Juliet Marillier, though there is some romance in it so you have to be okay with that. I'm reading the Mistborn Series by Brandon Sanderson right now and am enjoying it.

I'd be interested in what you thought of the ending of the Mistborn series. I was frankly quite disappointed but that is just one person's opinion. I liked the system he developed for power though.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley