Fascinating video on the absurdity of the word omnipotence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2012, 08:09 PM
RE: Fascinating video on the absurdity of the word omnipotence
Hey, Light.

I agree that most of the time it's best to get into it. Lord knows I'm prone to megaposts. But sometimes something is just... The thing about the common sense view is that when you challenge it, people look at you like you're retarded because, well, duh, it's just common sense. But the common sense view is just naturalised ideology. So sometimes one encounters something that is actually quite cracked out but it's couched in received wisdom; thus, if one were to critique it, one would have to attach a doctoral dissertation to each point that they made because every point they made would have to slash its way through the elephant grass of ideology. Sometimes it's just not worth it. So I kept it simple. Any video that makes liberal use of the terms "crap" and "stupid" is best to be ignored. It's the hallmark of a hatchet job, which really is all this video is. That point alone makes it a crappy video. But then the guy just spouts off a number of things that, while insulated by the common sense view, are actually cracked out. Honestly, I think a more practical exercise would be to see if you can figure out for yourself what I reacted to negatively. Sounds lazy or even facetious, but for what it's worth, I mean it. That way the conversation could begin in deep water.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2012, 09:00 PM
(21-05-2012 08:09 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Light.

I agree that most of the time it's best to get into it. Lord knows I'm prone to megaposts. But sometimes something is just... The thing about the common sense view is that when you challenge it, people look at you like you're retarded because, well, duh, it's just common sense. But the common sense view is just naturalised ideology. So sometimes one encounters something that is actually quite cracked out but it's couched in received wisdom; thus, if one were to critique it, one would have to attach a doctoral dissertation to each point that they made because every point they made would have to slash its way through the elephant grass of ideology. Sometimes it's just not worth it. So I kept it simple. Any video that makes liberal use of the terms "crap" and "stupid" is best to be ignored. It's the hallmark of a hatchet job, which really is all this video is. That point alone makes it a crappy video. But then the guy just spouts off a number of things that, while insulated by the common sense view, are actually cracked out. Honestly, I think a more practical exercise would be to see if you can figure out for yourself what I reacted to negatively. Sounds lazy or even facetious, but for what it's worth, I mean it. That way the conversation could begin in deep water.

Matt
Sorry, Matt, but I respectfully disagree.

Is the video perfect? Nope. No video ever will be.

But the root of what he's communicating is solid and well-founded (and important for people that are on the fence and held up by the false concepts he helps uproot in this video).

Mind you, it's far from philhellenes best work.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
21-05-2012, 11:42 PM
(21-05-2012 08:09 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Light.

Matt
What do you mean "cracked out"? I'm not familiar with this term.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-05-2012, 05:09 AM
Hey, Kim.

Out there. Gonzo. Messed up. A touch on the crazy side. Fanciful. Fucked. It can also mean burnt out from a drug binge.

Hey, Light.

Ya kinda just proved my point. It's all good.

Matt
22-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Einstein Wrote:“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Why is a thesis required to explain some points you disagree with in a video?

I saw some errors in his logic and I didn't watch the whole thing. Didn't really react negatively like Ghost did though. I wonder what it was...

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
22-05-2012, 07:11 AM
I guess an apologetic would argue that we are trying to use our own restrictive imaginations and woefully small vocabulary to describe an entity that is entirely beyond our comprehension and ability to explain - so of course there are going to be inconsistencies in the words we use to form that description given that we lack the ability to even form a consensus on what that being is to begin with.

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
22-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Hey, Deep.

Imagine you're the scientist who determined that smoking is bad for you back in the whatever decade it was. Do you think it would be easy to then turn around and explain to everyone that not only should people quit smoking, but that it should be banned from indoors? No. Because you would have been up against a wall of common sense thinking that told everyone that smoking was the coolest thing since Billy Dee Williams.

The wall of certainty that is the natural companion of ideology is difficult to hack through and when you make a point, about anything really, that goes against common sense, you have to smash down that wall before the conversation can even start and that is what I meant by it takes a doctoral dissertation. Sometimes it's worth it. Sometimes it ain't. This was one of those ain't times.

I don't even believe in God (but neither do I disbelieve but we all know what an argument that becomes). I'm not some Theist saying, "You're a poopie head cuz yer shitting on God." I could give a fuck. I just know bias when I see it. Sometimes you can say, "You guys aren't really buying this load of shit, are you?" And sometimes you just look at the manure stuck in their teeth, shrug your shoulders and say, "You know that's shit in your m... aw fuck it, enjoy."

Matt
22-05-2012, 07:44 PM
(22-05-2012 07:32 PM)Ghost Wrote:  I don't even believe in God (but neither do I disbelieve but we all know what an argument that becomes).
You sound like my friend who is a non-dualist (former advaitist like myself).

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
23-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes

There are times I pose the following rhetorical question to a friend- usually when he whines around about stupid shit:

Can't you just let art flow over you?

Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein