Fast food workers earning more than Medical Assistants

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Fast food workers earning more than Medical Assistants
I'm totally expecting a bunch of hate to come from this, but what will be will be, and I just want to rant a little about this.

I've seen this strike business all over the place http://money.msn.com/business-news/artic...d=17155773

And I just think to myself, "Sometimes I hate America."

I mean, look there is nothing wrong with working for a fast food restaurant. But reality check, you are doing a job that was created (or at least has been used) for teenagers to earn some spending cash and get introductory work experience. This doesn't mean that you should be ashamed of your job, but what this does mean is that you get paid for what your position is worth.

Supply and Demand people!! I can name 10 people that I personally know that will gladly take your $7/hr mcdonalds job from you if you aren't happy with it.

Bottom line, you don't walk into a job and say, "Hi, I know the starting wage for this job is $20,000, but you know, I have special needs, and I personally need $32,000 a year to make ends meet. You are required to pay me what I need for my lifestyle, not what the fair market determines is a fair wage for the actual work I will be doing." No, you don't get to make that demand when your job requires no special skills, extensive training, or experience.

Medical Assistants make $15~ish an hour. If fast food workers started making more than MAs then the free market in this country has completely failed.

The world doesn't OWE you a wage to live in the lifestyle you choose. You must choose your lifestyle based on the wage you are able to earn/choose to earn.

*sigh* I guess that's the end of my rant.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
02-12-2013, 03:41 PM
RE: Fast food workers earning more than Medical Assistants
Who is working at the fast food joints when the teenagers are in school? Do you even know the average age of a fast food worker? I'll give you a hint, most of them are NOT teens.

Sorry, even at 11 or 12 bucks an hour in a big city that isn't even enough to support yourself much less a family. I could support myself on 11 bucks an hour with 40 hours where I live if I got that. But that would also be because I have no car payments or house payments. I only get by with the help of my mom.

The pay gap is too big no matter what job you have. "Supply and demand" my ass, this is nothing but corporate greed where YOU AND I subsidize their profits through cheap labor.

If those assholes want people off the government dime the solution is simple, better wages.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
02-12-2013, 03:45 PM
I think they are fighting because the cost of living is increasing whilst wages remain stagnant.

I expect to see more unrest of the same in the next few years.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
02-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Quote:Supply and Demand people!! I can name 10 people that I personally know that will gladly take your $7/hr mcdonalds job from you if you aren't happy with it.

Then they are idiots and long term make it worse for all of us. Where should it stop then? How about if someone wants to work for $5 an hour, then the next guy says "I'll do it for $1? So you think we should aspire to sweat shops and more poverty?

You look at other countries without the pay inequity they have LESS to no poverty and homelessness.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
02-12-2013, 03:50 PM
I have a 76 year old co worker been in our kitchen for 15 years, they have cut back his hours to the point he is having to use up all his retirement savings. I have another co worker who has to live with his family, has 3 kids and has NOTHING left over after paying for his vehicle and car insurance.

We do not live in a "supply and demand" market, we live in a slave wage extraction market. Corporate America supplies us with crappy wages and demands we take it.

02-12-2013, 04:10 PM
I support the idea of the federal minimum wage, and institutions having to respect that. I see that as being in place to avoid a free market from turning into a "slave wage market." If the gov't forced a higher min. wage across the boards, that's great.

There are probably limitless anecdotal stories of people's hard times and why they are working certain jobs and how they aren't making enough. But I don't feel that a person's living situation is the complete responsibility of the organization that employs them. Sally doesn't get to make more because she has 3 more kids than Dave. I think your living needs/wants should guide where you choose to aspire to work, but you can't expect your work benefits to conform to your living needs. People's home situation should not come into play when discussing pay expectations, IMO.

[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
02-12-2013, 04:15 PM
(02-12-2013 04:10 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I support the idea of the federal minimum wage, and institutions having to respect that. I see that as being in place to avoid a free market from turning into a "slave wage market." If the gov't forced a higher min. wage across the boards, that's great.

There are probably limitless anecdotal stories of people's hard times and why they are working certain jobs and how they aren't making enough. But I don't feel that a person's living situation is the complete responsibility of the organization that employs them. Sally doesn't get to make more because she has 3 more kids than Dave. I think your living needs/wants should guide where you choose to aspire to work, but you can't expect your work benefits to conform to your living needs. People's home situation should not come into play when discussing pay expectations, IMO.

I think you forget that we are living through a continued recession. That there are qualified people out there looking to "get what they are worth" but because of a lack of jobs, sometimes they have to settle for any work they can get.

They have something over here in the UK where I am. It is called "the living wage".

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
02-12-2013, 04:22 PM
I totally understand that life is completely unfair, especially in the job market. But from the employer's perspective, "Why is that my problem?" That's the only realistic response I can see an executive giving.

"Why should I pay you more, when I can hire somebody else to do the exact same job, but for cheaper than what you are asking?" If the employer can get the same quality of service from somebody else for cheaper, it is in their best interest to minimize what they pay you. And I feel that is their right. It is only in their best interest to NOT minimize what they pay if they have competition hiring and paying more than what they are offering for the same type of work.

[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
02-12-2013, 04:26 PM
(02-12-2013 04:22 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  "Why should I pay you more, when I can hire somebody else to do the exact same job, but for cheaper than what you are asking?"

You wouldn't mind almost limitless immigration into your country for cheap labour then?

So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
02-12-2013, 04:29 PM
I'm torn on this issue. While I tend to agree with Adrianime that people need to realize they are responsible for themselves, the reality is, Brian has probably got his head screwed on a little straighter.

The problem I see is that people aren't looking out for one another, even when they are playing for the same team. The little guy needs to watch his brothers back. So when you open a small business, be socially conscious. It IS possible to run a socially conscious business. That means supporting the other little guys by buying your supplies from them, even though the big guy can give you a price break. In the long run, that price break you take is supporting the guy that eventually puts YOU out of business. Same goes for wages. Sure it's a $12/hour job, but when my employee comes to me and asks for a raise, his job performance AND his home situation will play a role in my decision. The teenager working part time for pocket cash is gonna get $12 bucks. The single mom trying to raise two kids with no education and no time or resources to get one? She's gonna get $14 from me. Because when people matter more than the dollar, everybody gets food on the table.

I hear people bitch a lot about "the Big Guy" but I see little in the way of sacrifice. If your bottom line is the almighty dollar, don't be surprised when everybody else's is too.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post