RE: Fast food workers earning more than Medical Assistants
Get of my lawn,old man Angry

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2013, 06:42 PM
As someone who works as a medical caregiver it is true. I make less than someone at a fast food place. For the most part.
02-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Fast food workers want more money because most of them aren't teenagers. The average age of American fast food workers is 29 (slightly lower for some companies, such as Wendy's at 25). It's a temporary job for most people; something they do to make money until they can get a job in their field. But the labour market is screwed up and it can take a long time to get work, even when you're educated and experienced.

If supermarket cashiers and fast food workers were teenagers living at home there would be no problem. But the reality is most of them have to worry about rent, a car, university, or children. They need a living wage, and minimum wage is not liveable in a big city.

The problem isn't that they would be paid too much, it's that fast food workers and medical assistants are both underpaid.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
02-12-2013, 06:58 PM
(02-12-2013 04:51 PM)bemore Wrote:  What would your solution be to the wage "crisis" happening over in your country Adrianime?
Bemore, I'm definitely not proposing a solution to the economic/paywage problems my country has. I don't feel I'm qualified to do so. This is just a rant! Smile

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
02-12-2013, 07:00 PM
(02-12-2013 06:55 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  Fast food workers want more money because most of them aren't teenagers. The average age of American fast food workers is 29 (slightly lower for some companies, such as Wendy's at 25). It's a temporary job for most people; something they do to make money until they can get a job in their field. But the labour market is screwed up and it can take a long time to get work, even when you're educated and experienced.

If supermarket cashiers and fast food workers were teenagers living at home there would be no problem. But the reality is most of them have to worry about rent, a car, university, or children. They need a living wage, and minimum wage is not liveable in a big city.

The problem isn't that they would be paid too much, it's that fast food workers and medical assistants are both underpaid.
So you are saying that because they have specific life situations they should make a certain amount of money? Moreso than if they were just teenagers? That's what I don't agree with. Wages aren't determined by the employee's need. If that was the case, the biggest sob stories would be the most well payed employees.

03-12-2013, 11:28 AM
(02-12-2013 06:58 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 04:51 PM)bemore Wrote:  What would your solution be to the wage "crisis" happening over in your country Adrianime?
Bemore, I'm definitely not proposing a solution to the economic/paywage problems my country has. I don't feel I'm qualified to do so. This is just a rant! Smile

With that logic then surely you are not qualified to rant either?

Surely you have an opinion on what should be done?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
03-12-2013, 04:00 PM
In my opinion the current economic state is an unfixable mess. A tangled web of debt, loans, subsidies, and exploitation. I can't imagine how to fix it with the limited knowledge I have.

[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
03-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Maybe ask for equality... In Belgium, McDonalds employees make €15/hour (about $20)

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
03-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Shoot, How much do houses cost in Belgium?

03-12-2013, 06:48 PM
(02-12-2013 03:29 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I'm totally expecting a bunch of hate to come from this, but what will be will be, and I just want to rant a little about this.

I've seen this strike business all over the place http://money.msn.com/business-news/artic...d=17155773

And I just think to myself, "Sometimes I hate America."

I mean, look there is nothing wrong with working for a fast food restaurant. But reality check, you are doing a job that was created (or at least has been used) for teenagers to earn some spending cash and get introductory work experience. This doesn't mean that you should be ashamed of your job, but what this does mean is that you get paid for what your position is worth.

Supply and Demand people!! I can name 10 people that I personally know that will gladly take your $7/hr mcdonalds job from you if you aren't happy with it.

Bottom line, you don't walk into a job and say, "Hi, I know the starting wage for this job is $20,000, but you know, I have special needs, and I personally need $32,000 a year to make ends meet. You are required to pay me what I need for my lifestyle, not what the fair market determines is a fair wage for the actual work I will be doing." No, you don't get to make that demand when your job requires no special skills, extensive training, or experience.

Medical Assistants make $15~ish an hour. If fast food workers started making more than MAs then the free market in this country has completely failed.

The world doesn't OWE you a wage to live in the lifestyle you choose. You must choose your lifestyle based on the wage you are able to earn/choose to earn.

*sigh* I guess that's the end of my rant.

"medical assistants" often require no college education.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon