Fast food workers earning more than Medical Assistants

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2013, 06:50 PM
RE: Fast food workers earning more than Medical Assistants
(03-12-2013 06:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  "medical assistants" often require no college education.

They don't, but many who didn't go to college, and some that did go through a ~$10000 9 month intensive training course to be qualified for the position.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2013, 07:00 PM
(02-12-2013 03:29 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I'm totally expecting a bunch of hate to come from this, but what will be will be, and I just want to rant a little about this.

I've seen this strike business all over the place http://money.msn.com/business-news/artic...d=17155773

And I just think to myself, "Sometimes I hate America."

I mean, look there is nothing wrong with working for a fast food restaurant. But reality check, you are doing a job that was created (or at least has been used) for teenagers to earn some spending cash and get introductory work experience. This doesn't mean that you should be ashamed of your job, but what this does mean is that you get paid for what your position is worth.

Supply and Demand people!! I can name 10 people that I personally know that will gladly take your $7/hr mcdonalds job from you if you aren't happy with it.

Bottom line, you don't walk into a job and say, "Hi, I know the starting wage for this job is $20,000, but you know, I have special needs, and I personally need $32,000 a year to make ends meet. You are required to pay me what I need for my lifestyle, not what the fair market determines is a fair wage for the actual work I will be doing." No, you don't get to make that demand when your job requires no special skills, extensive training, or experience.

Medical Assistants make $15~ish an hour. If fast food workers started making more than MAs then the free market in this country has completely failed.

The world doesn't OWE you a wage to live in the lifestyle you choose. You must choose your lifestyle based on the wage you are able to earn/choose to earn.

*sigh* I guess that's the end of my rant.

The title of the thread is misleading: MA's earn twice as much as a McDonald's employee, and more than the manager at your local McDonald's.
Why are you hating the McDonalds employees???
[+] 1 user Likes black_squirrel's post
03-12-2013, 08:34 PM
I'm not, I'm disagreeing with the mentality of "these are my needs/wants, therefore I should make more money." Instead of, "This is what the job pays, and I understand that."

And if the strike goal was met, they would be making more than MAs.

And HobbitGirl has already said that in some places they do make more than MAs.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
04-12-2013, 02:21 AM
(02-12-2013 07:00 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  So you are saying that because they have specific life situations they should make a certain amount of money? Moreso than if they were just teenagers? That's what I don't agree with. Wages aren't determined by the employee's need. If that was the case, the biggest sob stories would be the most well payed employees.

No, I'm not saying that pay should be based on who you are. I'm saying that if you work eight hours a day, five days a week, you should have money for more than just living expenses. You shouldn't be living paycheque-to-paycheque. But in expensive cities like Toronto, that's how many people live.

You shouldn't expect to be well-off with a job that requires no education or experience, but you should have the comfort of knowing you can afford rent.

I just want the low end of the payscale to meet that standard.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
04-12-2013, 06:47 AM
(03-12-2013 06:48 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Shoot, How much do houses cost in Belgium?

Get a decent one for €150.000 - €200.000 (add 30% for dollar amount)

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.