Father doesn't think son should get 6MO for only 20 minutes of rape.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2016, 02:39 PM
RE: Father doesn't think son should get 6MO for only 20 minutes of rape.
(08-06-2016 01:21 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(08-06-2016 11:34 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Thanks. But *sigh*, not too sound too Donald Trump here, but to know whether or not this sentence is legitimate would require research on what the appropriate legal action is and what precedents there are (which I'm not going to do). And if it isn't legitimate, which it sounds like it probably isn't, I fully support a harsher sentence. In all honesty, the sentence being doubled or tripled or even quadrupled doesn't mean much. The jail time isn't his real punishment here. It's the aftermath of it all, probably losing the trust of people in his life and being registered as a sex offender.

Those consequences are part and parcel of his decision -- his -- to violate the woman. I have no problem with someone being forced to register as a sex offender (for life? I don't know. Perhaps for a ten or twenty-year probationary period?), because society has a right to know if predators are about == and secual predators are more often serial than other criminals.

As for the sentence, I don't think it requires to much research. Took me a minute-and-a-half to find this:

Quote:In general, California state laws punish a conviction of rape with a sentence of imprisonment in state prison for three, six, or eight years. The potential sentence increases to a range of seven to eleven years when the rape victim is a minor who is over fourteen years of age. The potential sentence further increases to a range of nine to thirteen years when the victim is a child under the age of fourteen. Each sentence can also increase if the defendant acted in concert with another person to rape the victim.

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/california-...-laws.html

(08-06-2016 11:34 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  If you want my personal opinion of how these things should go, Some jail time and counseling would be necessary. But really I think it'd be more useful having him do unpaid labor for at least a year, especially if the fruit of that labor directly benefited, in the form of cash, the people he wronged. And the terms would be harsher for those who don't accept responsibility for their actions. But ultimately, it doesn't matter what I think. It's the law that will judge him.

Yeah, but I'm having this discussion with you, not The Law. I already knew that the legal system's judgment is the only judgement that counts.

I disagree with the idea of forced labor as a form of penitence, myself. The potential for abuse -- by the victims were it to work as you'd prescribe, or by whomever else stands to benefit from the labor -- makes me think that folks might be framed, or sentenced excessively, based on economic criteria.

I agree that forced labor is an inappropriate way of making amends, maybe for different reasons. Rape, like fraud, robbery, murder, among other offenses, is a crime not just against the person but against society. Its consequences need to come from the government and not from the victim.

We shouldn't forget that counseling and labor have been extensively tried for other kinds of sex crimes, such as pedophilia. As the experience of the RCC (and the Duggar sisters) can attest, rates of recidivism are sky-high for pedophiles who are treated with work, counseling, and compassion.

Many predators who rape adult victims repeat, as pedophiles commonly do, given the opportunity. Opportunities may be fewer because their victims are stronger than children and harder to maneuver into a vulnerable position. Therefore, lifelong identification as a rapist seems an appropriate social safeguard.

I favor a prison term for rape, with in-prison counseling to help those who might be able to be helped, followed by the person's permanent identification as a rapist. While it's tempting at an emotional level to want this particular man to experience violation similar to his victim's, I don't want that to happen to him, because likely it would only make him more violent towards his next victim and doesn't do anything to help heal the woman he raped. (And I would bet there's going to be a next victim, unfortunately.)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
08-06-2016, 03:41 PM
Rapists don't quit raping, because there's a disconnect between them seeing others as objects to be used rather than people to be respected. They are predators, a few predators may not get the opportunity to rape again but they will always be predators.

I do have an issue with some of the sex offender classifications but a rapist should be on that list forever.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
08-06-2016, 04:44 PM
I can be wrong, and may well be in arguing that forever on a list is too unforgiving. I just see major issues reintegrating convicts back into society and wonder if there are compromises to be made which don't compromise public safety.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
08-06-2016, 04:54 PM
(08-06-2016 04:44 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I can be wrong, and may well be in arguing that forever on a list is too unforgiving. I just see major issues reintegrating convicts back into society and wonder if there are compromises to be made which don't compromise public safety.

I understand your point for most types of crimes but I disagree with forever being too long for rapists and pedophilias because they are a different class of crime than others and the majority psych think is, that it's not a correctable mindset.

If it's not correctable, then the society is forever at risk from this person and as long as the society is at risk, they should be on the list. Not as a punishment but as a self-defense mechanism.

08-06-2016, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2016 05:02 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(06-06-2016 05:08 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Stanford Rape Case Reveals Troubling Privilege Bias, Creates National Outcry

Alan Jude Ryland | June 6, 2016 | 54 Comments

"A case out of Stanford University is garnering international attention not only for the crime itself, but its aftermath.

In January of 2015, then 19-year old Stanford University student Brock Allen Turner raped an unconscious woman. Two male graduate students came upon Turner while he was raping her behind a dumpster. According to trial testimony, one of them yelled out “What are you doing?” before Turner fled the scene. The two gave chase and pinned Turner to the ground until authorities arrived on the scene."

http://secondnexus.com/social/stanford-r...3b248da655

I would say this is probably why the rapist views women as meat.

[Image: 6UL1d6Z.jpg?1]

This is NOT justice. This is rape culture at it's finest.

When a victim seeks justice, even though it heaps more pain on an already painful experience, what they get is a judge who cares more about the damage the punishment might do to the rapist than they do about the damage done to the victim. She has to live with it for the rest of her life but he gets off with 3 months in jail.

The judge should be disbarred for incompetence. Disgusting!

So f I murder someone right quick, I should get a week in jail. Yes
Dunceism is on the rise. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
08-06-2016, 04:59 PM
(08-06-2016 04:57 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 05:08 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Stanford Rape Case Reveals Troubling Privilege Bias, Creates National Outcry

Alan Jude Ryland | June 6, 2016 | 54 Comments

"A case out of Stanford University is garnering international attention not only for the crime itself, but its aftermath.

In January of 2015, then 19-year old Stanford University student Brock Allen Turner raped an unconscious woman. Two male graduate students came upon Turner while he was raping her behind a dumpster. According to trial testimony, one of them yelled out “What are you doing?” before Turner fled the scene. The two gave chase and pinned Turner to the ground until authorities arrived on the scene."

http://secondnexus.com/social/stanford-r...3b248da655

I would say this is probably why the rapist views women as meat.

[Image: 6UL1d6Z.jpg?1]

This is NOT justice. This is rape culture at it's finest.

When a victim seeks justice, even though it heaps more pain on an already painful experience, what they get is a judge who cares more about the damage the punishment might do to the rapist than they do about the damage done to the victim. She has to live with it for the rest of her life but he gets off with 3 months in jail.

The judge should be disbarred for incompetence. Disgusting!

So f I murder someone right quick, I should get a week in jail. Yes
Duceism is on the rise. Facepalm

Only if you can do them in 20 minutes or less.

08-06-2016, 05:07 PM
I hear you. I've long agreed with your stance when considering pedophiles; I've long known their mental disorder is virtually incurable. I haven't held rapists in the same light, in the sense that while pedophilia has for a long time been a clearly-defined crime, rape on the other hand has only in my adulthood had its definition clarified (date rape, "consent" under the influence, etc). I haven't seen the two in the same light for that reason -- rightly or wrongly.

I'll be thinking about this some more, no doubt.
08-06-2016, 06:02 PM
(08-06-2016 05:07 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I hear you. I've long agreed with your stance when considering pedophiles; I've long known their mental disorder is virtually incurable. I haven't held rapists in the same light, in the sense that while pedophilia has for a long time been a clearly-defined crime, rape on the other hand has only in my adulthood had its definition clarified (date rape, "consent" under the influence, etc). I haven't seen the two in the same light for that reason -- rightly or wrongly.

I'll be thinking about this some more, no doubt.

Me too, I'm sure.

08-06-2016, 06:19 PM
A six month sentence and douchebag will probably be out before that. How many people want him on the streets around the women/girls in their lives? A six month sentence can also mean he spends time in a county jail...not prison.

I do not care one bit that his life is going to be messed up. His life was already messed up, he just hadn't acted on it yet or hadn't been caught.

I am still struggling with the concept that since he didn't rape her for a longer period of time he should get a shorter sentence. Who in their right mind can even come to that conclusion?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
08-06-2016, 06:29 PM
(08-06-2016 10:50 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(08-06-2016 09:28 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  seriosuly wtf?! You're drawing a false equivalence.

Declawing a cat isn't akin to nuetering a dog. When you declaw a cat you're taking away the cat's ability to climb, jump, you're affecting their balance and ability defend themselves, should they get out. Also the recovery time is extremely long and the risk of infection to declawed cats is huge.

Nuetering a dog is simply about the thousands of dogs each year that are euthanized because there are simply not enough homes. Usually they recover within 24 hours. Female dogs do require a bit more care, but since it doesn't alter the dog's outward appearance, maybe you don't have issue with that??

You're also anthropomorphizing dogs. Dogs will behave the way dogs behave. I don't care how well trained a dog is, if a female in heat passes their way, they will be compelled to act on it.

Anyone who thinks their dog won't do that is deluded and contributing to the over-population of dogs.

Now had you wrote that you believed neutering a pet is more like cropping ears or docking tails, I might not have agreed, but I wouldn't have wasted time commenting or replying.
I'm not talking about reason of taking the action or the outcome. I'm purely talking about the action itself. And you are right, I might be seeing dogs as more than just "animals". I just personally don't feel it's right to cut into another creature unless it's medically necessary (or for food). It may be a "necessary evil" given what we've done to dogs, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Anyways, it's really not relevant to this discussion, and I don't even know why Anjele brought it up in the first place.

And, while your implication that I have some agenda against female creatures is noted, and not appreciated. No, I have no idea what pre-neutered vs post-neutered looks like for either male or female dogs.

Talk with a veterinarian. They will tell you that neutering your pet is one of the best things you can do. It keeps them safer...they aren't running off to answer nature's call or having litters every time they go into heat. It is not mutilation. Cropping ears, docking tails, and declawing are forms of mutilation. Declawing is the worst in my opinion as it leave a cat without all its defenses which can be quite dangerous.

Having a pet neutered at a young age also reduces things like breast cancer and testicular cancer.

Oh, and neutering refers to the removal of ovaries or testicles. It's a word that covers both male castration and having a female spayed. They aren't spaded or spayeded. A vet will spay a female pet...after that they have been spayed.

Why did I bring it up...go back and read my post...you seem to have issues with suppression of sexual desires.

My issue with your stance is that I see a pattern with you that makes me uneasy.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post