Father doesn't think son should get 6MO for only 20 minutes of rape.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2016, 11:50 AM
RE: Father doesn't think son should get 6MO for only 20 minutes of rape.
(09-06-2016 11:47 AM)yakherder Wrote:  'You will be impotent and know the pain of pine needles in your guts': Angry witches perform max-hexing of Stanford rapist

Thanks for the light sentence, dad <crumples over in pain>
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2016, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2016 12:22 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(09-06-2016 10:50 AM)MustangManda Wrote:  Thump, sounds like you grew up near me (SLO area).

Paso Robles High School, class of 85; my family moved there in 1979 after four years in Asia.

I'm guessing your "Mustang" sobriquet is a nod to Cal Poly? Gosh, loved taking the Greyhound to Slotown for Poly Royal. The Central Coast is my favorite part of California.

(09-06-2016 10:50 AM)MustangManda Wrote:  I'm also very familiar with that hospital and mental conditions, and I 100% agree this guy (and his father) exhibit sociopathic behavior. However, being rich and entitled sometimes yields similar behavior, and falling on hard times sometimes "cures" those urges. Maybe there's hope for this kid.

It does seem to me that the father feels his son is entitled, judging only from that obnoxious letter, and if that is the case, I don't doubt that he passed that sentiment onto his son, either consciously or -- more likely, I think -- unconsciously.

Hopefully, you're right -- the kid will get a bitchslap or two from life and come to his senses ... but I have to admit I'm doubtful. As I noted upthread, I have a bit to learn about the serialism of rapists, but what I've looked at so far isn't encouraging.

(09-06-2016 10:50 AM)MustangManda Wrote:  I would also consider castration as a possible punishment for some rapists (only if serial and violent), although I do think that would be way too harsh for this young first-time offender.

I am very much against irreversible punishments. What we've learnt over the last two decades regarding wrongful convictions in capital cases applies here as well. How do you undo physical castration? What do you do when you find you've castrated the wrong person?

I don't have any answers here, given my ignorance of some of the issues in play ... mine is just another Internet opinion, worth every penny you paid for it.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
09-06-2016, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2016 01:34 PM by Chas.)
(07-06-2016 12:09 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 01:13 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Hmm, I already know my opinions on this will just earn me contempt. So I'll just stay quiet. I shouldn't have even typed this.

(07-06-2016 11:29 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  You seem to be siding with the judge here with sympathy for the criminal and fuck all nothing for the victim. That is rape culture you are perpetuating, dude, and it's vile.

*sigh*

I haven't said anything about the sentence of this particular case. Only of the attitudes of those who look at him like an non-human animal.

The inappropriate sentence and unrepentant attitude motivate that reaction.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
09-06-2016, 03:36 PM
(09-06-2016 12:19 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 10:50 AM)MustangManda Wrote:  Thump, sounds like you grew up near me (SLO area).

Paso Robles High School, class of 85; my family moved there in 1979 after four years in Asia.

I'm guessing your "Mustang" sobriquet is a nod to Cal Poly? Gosh, loved taking the Greyhound to Slotown for Poly Royal. The Central Coast is my favorite part of California.

Well how about that, small world. It's my favorite part also, class of '04 AGHS (south 45 mins), I played intramural sports against Paso people, good times, I love Paso, still have family there too. I did go to Cal Poly (as did my parents), and still visit often (was there last weekend, went wine tasting in Templeton). My username is both a nod to Poly and my cars, I own a few Mustangs.

(09-06-2016 12:19 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 10:50 AM)MustangManda Wrote:  I would also consider castration as a possible punishment for some rapists (only if serial and violent), although I do think that would be way too harsh for this young first-time offender.

I am very much against irreversible punishments. What we've learnt over the last two decades regarding wrongful convictions in capital cases applies here as well. How do you undo physical castration? What do you do when you find you've castrated the wrong person?

In general, I am also against irreversible punishments, but in cases of repeated violent sexual behavior, in extreme circumstances, I feel it should be an option (perhaps only by volunteers though). Seems like a better option than life in prison or the death penalty at the very least, and might substantially improve their behavior (like with pedophiles, who just can't help themselves, but may want to be better). Perhaps just offer a reduced sentence to those who are willing to do the procedure.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes MustangManda's post
09-06-2016, 03:43 PM
My post was purely tongue in cheek, and I don't advocate irreversible punishments either. That said some people don't deserve to return to society. Too bad it takes a few (or many) victims to figure it out.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
09-06-2016, 04:09 PM
Just for argument's sake, let's assume science has advanced and we can now determine predisposition for certain crimes via brain scan.

Would you scan at birth and take some sort of measure to prevent any criminal action?

Would you scan at the time of the first offense and then take measures?

How would we manage such knowledge? Because it is quite possible that this will happen.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
09-06-2016, 04:16 PM
(09-06-2016 04:09 PM)Dom Wrote:  Just for argument's sake, let's assume science has advanced and we can now determine predisposition for certain crimes via brain scan.

Would you scan at birth and take some sort of measure to prevent any criminal action?

How would we manage such knowledge? Because it is quite possible that this will happen.

A la Minority Report. Stop the crime before it happens.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
09-06-2016, 04:19 PM
certainly tons of room for abuse and misuse, but if somehow this behavior could be eliminated through treatment or counseling I'd be for it.
09-06-2016, 04:42 PM
VP Joe Biden's letter to Emily Doe. Very good of him and I expect nothing less.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/6/9...l=facebook

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
09-06-2016, 04:58 PM
(09-06-2016 04:09 PM)Dom Wrote:  Just for argument's sake, let's assume science has advanced and we can now determine predisposition for certain crimes via brain scan.

Quote:Would you scan at the time of the first offense and then take measures?
Yes, I would try to have therapy readily available for dealing with any disturbing issues that arose. Using guidance and intervention if/when at all possible. I would not do it at birth for fear the knowledge would interrupt the natural bonding cycle and ability for the family to love a child with such potential, which would only add to the problems.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post