Father's Day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2014, 09:25 PM
RE: Father's Day
(18-05-2014 09:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-05-2014 08:45 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Lol oh, you know, monkeys are funny and cute. He likes em Big Grin that sorta thing Yes

When my dad was still alive I also got caught in the same gift every year thing. But, dad really liked home projects and woodworking so a Lowe's card or a Home Depot card was always used and appreciated. Now and then I found cool little things for him, not necessarily for an occasion but they helped me feel a little less guilty about the 'routine' gifts. One of the coolest was a wooden golf cart with bags of clubs and everything made from wood...it combined two of his favorite things...woodworking and golf...I considered that a score. Thumbsup

Elephants. My Dad got at least one for whatever holiday or anniversary that came along ... there are well over 200. Some are quite expensive (crystal, etc.,.) while others are unique art pieces and some just sentimental (soap carving- I was 7).

We still don't really know what to do with them and he's been gone for six years now! I suppose I'll just end up with them one day.

Cause... I need ... elephants. I think I realize how Dad might have felt every time he got another one. Blink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
18-05-2014, 09:56 PM
(18-05-2014 09:25 PM)kim Wrote:  
(18-05-2014 09:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  When my dad was still alive I also got caught in the same gift every year thing. But, dad really liked home projects and woodworking so a Lowe's card or a Home Depot card was always used and appreciated. Now and then I found cool little things for him, not necessarily for an occasion but they helped me feel a little less guilty about the 'routine' gifts. One of the coolest was a wooden golf cart with bags of clubs and everything made from wood...it combined two of his favorite things...woodworking and golf...I considered that a score. Thumbsup

Elephants. My Dad got at least one for whatever holiday or anniversary that came along ... there are well over 200. Some are quite expensive (crystal, etc.,.) while others are unique art pieces and some just sentimental (soap carving- I was 7).

We still don't really know what to do with them and he's been gone for six years now! I suppose I'll just end up with them one day.

Cause... I need ... elephants. I think I realize how Dad might have felt every time he got another one. Blink

One of my aunts has penguins. Hoards of penguins. Hundreds of them. It's not enough. Knick-nacks ...ahhhhhhhhhh.

We're getting my dad a puppy dawg. He joking hinted maybe he might want one.
(Well so did my brother .. he misses mine when I'm at school).
Nothing exotic ... he likes Golden Retrievers. They haven't had one since my older brother took his with him.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
18-05-2014, 10:05 PM
(18-05-2014 09:02 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(18-05-2014 08:48 PM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  I am going to usurp mine like Cronos did with Ouranos.

Ah, but do you plan on eating your own children in a futile attempt to break the cycle?

As long as abortion remains legal, I can do this. Thumbsup

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
19-05-2014, 03:11 AM
(18-05-2014 09:25 PM)kim Wrote:  ...
Elephants.

My aunt (on the Jewish side) also collects elephants.

For her 75th birthday, we clubbed together to buy her a real one ... well, a share of a real one.

On that birthday, her husband helped her fulfill a lifetime dream... driving a London double-decker bus for the day.

Everyone survived. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-05-2014, 03:51 AM
None of us expected my Dad to be alive for this Father's day. He had open heart surgery last year (he's over 70). This was his third time and the stitching on the mechanical valve he had put in almost 40 years ago was 3/4 unwound.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
19-05-2014, 03:54 AM
My dad used to make quite a lot of money, owned two cars and a big house. Then after working for a big company for several decades he decided that it isn't worth it anymore, so he quit his job and after several events he is now living in spain, playing golf and waiting for pension as he has next to no money. Year before he moved there he said to me and my sister "I'm going to move to spain, spend all my money and play golf so there isn't going to be any inheritance left for you."

So you think it's a good idea to call on father's day to my 64 year old dad who spent all his money before hearing that a pension reform moved his first payments a year forward, and ask if he need money for food?

And yeah, before you get you blood pressure up, we are in good terms and it would be a joke Wink
[+] 2 users Like Tatuks's post
19-05-2014, 04:19 AM
I'll go round to the parents for biltong, beer and rugby on the TV next weekend. Old man will love it. It's what we do nearly every weekend anyway, but I'll get moar biltong and beer this time Smile I dunno if our Father's day is the same as your guys though, I know it's different from the one on UK. Oh well, more excuse for a party Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-05-2014, 04:46 AM
My father is now 86 years old, and unfortunately, like too many, he chose his path as a father from my infancy and throughout my childhood. He was there; wish he hadn't been.

I believe this type of father-daughter/son relationship is a part of father's day for many and should also be mentioned.

Settled this sometime ago, just a reality--no self-pity.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
19-05-2014, 04:52 AM
I kinda hate my dad. Well, not exactly hate, but I couldn't care less about Father's day, unless it somehow transformed into "day when your dad pays for everything your family had to go without because he's an asshole".

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
19-05-2014, 05:04 AM
(18-05-2014 08:11 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Father's Day is swiftly approaching.

What is everyone planning to do for their dads this year?

If I had the money I would present my father with a gift:

[Image: useless-box-fight-o.gif]

I think he would enjoy the gag gift of a box which does nothing but turning itself off.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post