Fatima Sun miracle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2017, 12:56 AM
Fatima Sun miracle
So how do you explain The fatima Sun miracle?,a supposed around 70000 people saw it some even 14 km away. although a priest that Questioned them did say I never heard of more contractionary reports, some also stated that they saw nothing. never the less the fact that it happened exactly the time it was said to happen is too convenient for my liking. It is one of the phew reasons I am a theist. Now I do want to get proved wrong sense my opinion on god is the same as Dawkins. Also Don't give me a half assed answer like (why doesn't he help starving kids) I know why he is evil.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2017, 01:10 AM
RE: Fatima Sun miracle
How about I turn the question back to you: tell me why you think thousands of people seeing the sun do weird things in the sky is evidence for the Christian God?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-01-2017, 01:14 AM
PS if God's prepared to do tricks with the Sun, why doesn't he do something unequivocal? Sun tricks can be explained many different ways, after thousands of years of NOT doing anything particularly verifiably miraculous God suddenly decided one fine day at Fatima *to* do something, and then never again? Some useful deity you've got there.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-01-2017, 01:23 AM
You would see weird things too if you stared at the sun.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 5 users Like JDog554's post
10-01-2017, 01:24 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2017 01:27 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
Wellllllll, you could start here...
http://www.csicop.org/si/show/real_secrets_of_fatima

or here...
http://philipcoppens.com/fatima.html

or here...
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/loo...cle-fatima

...and those are just my first three results!

Seriously, they can't even say exactly what happened at Fatima, because the accounts vary so incredibly widely. I highly recommend the first link, for an in-depth look at the issues. The second link takes a look at the process of the fraud, itself, while the third link examines the psychological insight into how such mass hallucination stories propagate.

If you still have questions after reading and absorbing what those three articles say (sorry for bold italic font, but people seem to "miss" that part, when I do the research for them which they should have done before even starting such a discussion), then I will be more than happy to talk about the "miracle" with you.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 10 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
10-01-2017, 01:40 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2017 02:10 AM by sneroul the thinker.)
Thank you Rocketsurgeon for your actually answering my Question.I would advice you to read the wiki page about it. and tell me what you think.
10-01-2017, 05:07 AM
(10-01-2017 01:40 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  Thank you Rocketsurgeon for your actually answering my Question.I would advice you to read the wiki page about it. and tell me what you think.

I have read the Wikipedia article on it. It's one of the first things I did. I think it's a Wiki article.

Since Wikipedia is edited by pretty much anyone, I think Wikipedia is a good source of "what some dude--or seventy--wrote about it", unless it is well-documented and written by a reputable author without an agenda.

With respect to a large number of topics, in particular religion and politics, where almost everyone has an agenda, I would call Wikipedia's entries on any such subject meaningless.

That said, I'd like to point out that it reports that even though the Catholic Church has tentatively called it miraculous, such a revelation would be against church doctrine (because they think the "age of direct revelation" ended with the death of the last Apostle), so they have called it a "personal revelation" to each of the people.

That's also likely their way of accounting for the fact that almost literally everyone involved saw something different.

The short version is it has all the hallmarks of mass hysteria-- think of the tale "The Emperor's New Clothes", where the peer pressure to see something was so strong that they told the king he had a lovely outfit on, even though he was actually naked, and it took a skeptical kid to go, "Nope... just naked!"

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
10-01-2017, 05:42 AM
Stare at the sun, see things. What's new about that?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-01-2017, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2017 07:07 AM by sneroul the thinker.)
Rocketsurgeon you are a genius. I do have a phew other questions though. but before i did that i did a little research myself about Lucia here past is very revealing. before she saw Mary she saw a snow white figure and angels and other Mythical creatures.also only she spoke to the figure. she was also very popular among the village for telling stories about Saints. many of her stories probably came from books she read according to the former pope.there also seems to be 2 versions of Fatima. The one after it happened and the one 10 years later which was probably added by the catholic church as anti communist propaganda. But can 70000 people really hallucinate at the same time? as a side note what do you think of incorruptable Saints?
10-01-2017, 07:17 AM
(10-01-2017 06:55 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  But can 70000 people really hallucinate at the same time?
You're not familiar with Cubs fans, I see.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post