Fatima Sun miracle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2017, 07:30 AM
RE: Fatima Sun miracle
(10-01-2017 05:07 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 01:40 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  Thank you Rocketsurgeon for your actually answering my Question.I would advice you to read the wiki page about it. and tell me what you think.

I have read the Wikipedia article on it. It's one of the first things I did. I think it's a Wiki article.

Since Wikipedia is edited by pretty much anyone, I think Wikipedia is a good source of "what some dude--or seventy--wrote about it", unless it is well-documented and written by a reputable author without an agenda.

With respect to a large number of topics, in particular religion and politics, where almost everyone has an agenda, I would call Wikipedia's entries on any such subject meaningless.

That said, I'd like to point out that it reports that even though the Catholic Church has tentatively called it miraculous, such a revelation would be against church doctrine (because they think the "age of direct revelation" ended with the death of the last Apostle), so they have called it a "personal revelation" to each of the people.

That's also likely their way of accounting for the fact that almost literally everyone involved saw something different.

The short version is it has all the hallmarks of mass hysteria-- think of the tale "The Emperor's New Clothes", where the peer pressure to see something was so strong that they told the king he had a lovely outfit on, even though he was actually naked, and it took a skeptical kid to go, "Nope... just naked!"

And then, despite the widespread pseudo-acceptance of Fatima, there's also the caveat that personal revelation is one of the things that is encouraged to be taken with a heaping sack full of grains of salt, by those who didn't receive it. But that just goes back to your doctrinal point as a whole.

And Laugh out load at the Wikipedia thing. While it can be excellent in some areas, I tend to avoid 'controversial' pages for the exact reason you said, and never had a professor who allowed Wikipedia as a source in a paper, unlike say Harvard...when visiting Cambridge while in Boston for a conference, a group of us in a grad program stopped by Harvard's bookstore like proper little nerds, and we were horrified to see a prominently displayed set of books on how to quote Wikipedia in your papers.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
10-01-2017, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2017 08:03 AM by Bucky Ball.)
You do know that massive objects don't "dance" and that if it actually left it's galactic path we would not be here ? Facepalm

What a wonderful god they have.
Makes the sun dance but lets million of babies die of cancer.
Sign me up.
Not

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4110

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-01-2017, 07:54 AM
It's really simple.

Bullshit + peer pressure = miracles.

You don't want to be the cunt who spoils the party, right????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
10-01-2017, 08:47 AM
(10-01-2017 12:56 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  So how do you explain The fatima Sun miracle?,a supposed around 70000 people saw it some even 14 km away. although a priest that Questioned them did say I never heard of more contractionary reports, some also stated that they saw nothing. never the less the fact that it happened exactly the time it was said to happen is too convenient for my liking. It is one of the phew reasons I am a theist. Now I do want to get proved wrong sense my opinion on god is the same as Dawkins. Also Don't give me a half assed answer like (why doesn't he help starving kids) I know why he is evil.

You are a theist and your opinion on God is on the same side as Dawkins? I can't form a coherent idea of what you are saying or asking.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
10-01-2017, 09:12 AM
I am saying I believe in god but i think his evil.
10-01-2017, 09:18 AM
(10-01-2017 09:12 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  I am saying I believe in god but i think his evil.
In that case Satan must be good, cool. Big Grin
10-01-2017, 09:29 AM
(10-01-2017 09:12 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  I am saying I believe in god but i think his evil.

Ok. And you think he is evil because he performs miracles that can be better explained as unexceptional natural events? I am trying to tie in this Fatima thing.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
10-01-2017, 10:01 AM
I read a long article on this but I can't find it so here's the jist of it. Plus I've argued with theists over this so I've really read a bunch of stuff.

Astronomers warn people who are looking at the sun to obviously not do that because it damages the retina but one of the things that happens when looking in the direction of the sun for any length of time is that it appears to dance around. The eye is fighting the glare of the sun. I've had it happen myself.

Add to this the anticipation and excitement of thousands of people gathered to experience a religious event and viola!....it's a miracle..the sun is moving around in the sky.

Interesting that astronomers around the world didn't noticed anything unusual happening to the sun that day (this was in 1917 I believe) and Lisbon, Portugal is 70 miles away from where the sun was supposed to be dancing in the sky and nobody there noticed a damn thing.

So there you have it. Bunch of hoo-haw.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
10-01-2017, 10:05 AM
(10-01-2017 10:01 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I read a long article on this but I can't find it so here's the jist of it. Plus I've argued with theists over this so I've really read a bunch of stuff.

Astronomers warn people who are looking at the sun to obviously not do that because it damages the retina but one of the things that happens when looking in the direction of the sun for any length of time is that it appears to dance around. The eye is fighting the glare of the sun. I've had it happen myself.

Add to this the anticipation and excitement of thousands of people gathered to experience a religious event and viola!....it's a miracle..the sun is moving around in the sky.

Interesting that astronomers around the world didn't noticed anything unusual happening to the sun that day (this was in 1917 I believe) and Lisbon, Portugal is 70 miles away from where the sun was supposed to be dancing in the sky and nobody there noticed a damn thing.

So there you have it. Bunch of hoo-haw.

B-b-but 17 THOUSAND people can't be wrong Weeping

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-01-2017, 10:16 AM
Ok I admit i was a little sarcastic but if true Satan is nothing more than a scapegoat. for example lets say i want to impress a girl. So I decide to hire a thief to rob her just so i can tackle the thief and give her back her wallet. I think the same can be said about the Satan thing. as a side note did you know Lucifer means light bringer i think.