Fatphobia?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Fatphobia?
Is it real or are the residents of chubby town just bitching?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2014, 08:49 PM
RE: Fatphobia?
I've never heard of it. Is it a fear of being fat or a fear of fat people?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
15-01-2014, 08:50 PM
From what's up its both
15-01-2014, 09:31 PM
Hmmm weird. I don't know if it's real. There are so many ridiculous phobias out there, it probably is real.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
15-01-2014, 09:32 PM
All of the -phobia neologisms are just bullshit. Their coining and use shows that mental illness remains something to stigmatise or hex your opponents with. The attitude is: rather than argue with those that disagree with you try and pathologise them and you will have won the argument by defaiult.

There is no such thing as homophobia, Islamaphobia, fatophobia and any other -phobia that doesn't appear in the DSM or the ICD. The preceding pseudo-phobias are just terms of abuse and have absolutely nothing to do with genuine phobias such as claustrophobia or agoraphobia. Hijakacking the concept of phobias to further a political cause also does a disservice to people that actually have phobias in that those pseudo-phobias imply that those with genuine phobias just have bad attitudes and they just need to sort themselves out.

Please don't contribute to the stigmtisation and marginalisation of the mentally ill by using these bullshit, politically motivated neologisms. Just call a spade a spade. If someone exhibits a disliking or hatred of homosexuals or obese people just state that fact and if you feel inclined call them biased or prejudiced. Calling them "homophobes" or "fatophobes" doesn't explain anything--even though it superficially appears to do so--and just misrepresents someone's disposition.

I can hear the pop-psychologists saying, "Oh but you hate what you fear". No, that is pop-psychology bullshit. Agoraphobics are afraid of crowded or open space but they don't hate them. Many actually like them and lament their inability to enjoy them.
[+] 2 users Like Chippy's post
15-01-2014, 09:35 PM
(15-01-2014 09:32 PM)Chippy Wrote:  All of the -phobia neologisms are just bullshit. Their coining and use shows that mental illness remains something to stigmatise or hex your opponents with. The attitude is: rather than argue with those that disagree with you try and pathologise them and you will have won the argument by defaiult.

There is no such thing as homophobia, Islamaphobia, fatophobia and any other -phobia that doesn't appear in the DSM or the ICD. The preceding pseudo-phobias are just terms of abuse and have absolutely nothing to do with genuine phobias such as claustrophobia or agoraphobia. Hijakacking the concept of phobias to further a political cause also does a disservice to people that actually have phobias in that those pseudo-phobias imply that those with genuine phobias just have bad attitudes and they just need to sort themselves out.

Please don't contribute to the stigmtisation and marginalisation of the mentally ill by using these bullshit, politically motivated neologisms. Just call a spade a spade. If someone exhibits a disliking or hatred of homosexuals or obese people just state that fact and if you feel inclined call them biased or prejudiced. Calling them "homophobes" or "fatophobes" doesn't explain anything--even though it superficially appears to do so--and just misrepresents someone's disposition.

I can hear the pop-psychologists saying, "Oh but you hate what you fear". No, that is pop-psychology bullshit. Agoraphobics are afraid of crowded or open space but they don't hate them. Many actually like them and lament their inability to enjoy them.

I just like to call them assholes.

[+] 4 users Like Losty's post
15-01-2014, 09:43 PM
One word.

Hughsie.

Sad
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post
15-01-2014, 09:44 PM
"Let me tell you how there's no intolerance towards hefty people by being intolerant towards hefty people."

Dodgy

And yes, there are people that openly voice their hatred, and harass hefty people.
15-01-2014, 10:10 PM
(15-01-2014 09:44 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  And yes, there are people that openly voice their hatred, and harass hefty people.

And yes, there are people that openly voice their hatred, and harass skinny people.
And yes, there are people that openly voice their hatred, and harass ugly people.
And yes, there are people that openly voice their hatred, and harass short people.
And yes, there are people that openly voice their hatred, and harass disfigured people.
And yes, there are people that openly voice their hatred, and harass drug-addicted people.

What's new?

I would hazard a guess that your average heroin addict faces more abuse, hostility, hatred and prejudice than your average obese person and they don't have a neologism to throw at their critics.
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
15-01-2014, 11:16 PM
(15-01-2014 09:32 PM)Chippy Wrote:  All of the -phobia neologisms are just bullshit. Their coining and use shows that mental illness remains something to stigmatise or hex your opponents with. The attitude is: rather than argue with those that disagree with you try and pathologise them and you will have won the argument by defaiult.

Chippy suffers from Phobiaphobia. Drinking Beverage

[+] 5 users Like Dark Light's post