Fatphobia?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2014, 11:21 PM
RE: Fatphobia?
(15-01-2014 11:16 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Chippy suffers from Phobiaphobia. Drinking Beverage

Dark Light has Phobiaphobiaphobia. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chippy's post
15-01-2014, 11:26 PM
I'm afraid I do. Tongue

Find all posts by this user
15-01-2014, 11:28 PM
(15-01-2014 09:43 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  One word.

Hughsie.

Sad

Nothing like your best friend to boost your self esteem. Dodgy

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
15-01-2014, 11:31 PM
(15-01-2014 11:28 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Nothing like your best friend to boost your self esteem. Dodgy

Genuine friends tell each other that they suck when they do and don't let them do this to themselves:

[+] 5 users Like Chippy's post
16-01-2014, 04:44 AM
It certainly exists.

There are phobias on pritty much anything out there.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
16-01-2014, 05:33 AM
(16-01-2014 04:44 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  It certainly exists.

No, there is no such thing as fatphobia. There is no condition which exhibits as its primary symptom a phobia of obese people. If you disagree then tell me who identified it and where/when they published their finding. At the least you should be able to refer me to a case report.
16-01-2014, 05:42 AM
(16-01-2014 05:33 AM)Chippy Wrote:  No, there is no such thing as fatphobia. There is no condition which exhibits as its primary symptom a phobia of obese people. If you disagree then tell me who identified it and where/when they published their finding. At the least you should be able to refer me to a case report.

I cant.

Here is the thing though, I met a holocaust survivor who got panic attacks when he saw dogs, razor wire, high fences and other stuff.

Is there a razor wire phobia?

The reason why people fear certain things can have their origin in the conection that people have made on these things in their minds.

Ever heard of the Little Albert experiment?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Albert_experiment

16-01-2014, 06:15 AM
(16-01-2014 05:42 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I cant.

Here is the thing though, I met a holocaust survivor who got panic attacks when he saw dogs, razor wire, high fences and other stuff.

Is there a razor wire phobia?

You can't because there is no such thing.

What you are describing is a symptom of PTSD and that disorder is not a phobia. I suggest that instead of trying to lecture me you educate yourself about phobic conditions and PTSD.

Quote:The reason why people fear certain things can have their origin in the conection that people have made on these things in their minds.

PTSD is not explicable simply in terms of Pavlovian condition. A Holocaust survivor would be expect to have PTSD and not simply a phobia.

Quote:Ever heard of the Little Albert experiment?

Yes

Also, you are missing the point--and this may be a language issue--that when people use the term fatphobia in the USA all they are really describing is a prejudice against obese people. Calling this simple prejudice fatphobia is an attempt to pathologise prejudice, i.e. it is a rhetorical ploy rather an psychopathological insight.
16-01-2014, 06:20 AM
(16-01-2014 06:15 AM)Chippy Wrote:  Also, you are missing the point--and this may be a language issue--that when people use the term fatphobia in the USA all they are really describing is a prejudice against obese people. Calling this simple prejudice fatphobia is an attempt to pathologise prejudice, i.e. it is a rhetorical ploy rather an psychopathological insight.

Yes, seems like there was a language issue.

We use the term phobia exclusively to descibe irrational fear.

16-01-2014, 09:43 AM
(15-01-2014 11:28 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 09:43 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  One word.

Hughsie.

Sad

Nothing like your best friend to boost your self esteem. Dodgy

Hug Heart