Fatphobia?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2014, 03:21 PM
RE: Fatphobia?
Alright I'm gonna be a dick for a second and pose a question.

Is it a good thing fat people are discriminated against?

What I mean is, if they're picked on they might be inclined to change.
Everybody knows that if you're overweight you're more likely to have a heart attack, diabetes etc... the health issues are endless.

So should people be "encouraged" to get healthier for their own benefit?

It is afterall a changeable thing unlike things like skin colour or sexuality.
And it is a personal choice.

So, should be "suffer the consequences" of their personal choices?

IMO, it's situational. I think if it encourages people to get healthier, then yes in a cruel way it is a good thing because it benefits them in the long run.
However, it could also prove dangerous in the sense that it doesn't change anything/makes things worst.

Just a thought.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
18-01-2014, 04:07 PM
IMO it is never okay to discriminate against or pick on people. Especially if you don't know the person. If you are not a doctor then you have no business thinking you know 1) whether or not a person is obese and/or 2) why a person is obese. I would say a much better idea would be to educate people on healthy diet and exercise especially children.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
18-01-2014, 04:24 PM
(18-01-2014 03:21 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Alright I'm gonna be a dick for a second and pose a question.

Everybody knows that if you're overweight you're more likely to have a heart attack, diabetes etc... the health issues are endless.

IMO, it's situational. I think if it encourages people to get healthier, then yes in a cruel way it is a good thing because it benefits them in the long run.
However, it could also prove dangerous in the sense that it doesn't change anything/makes things worst.

Just a thought.

I see your point, but a lot of people, I dare say most of them, hide their asshole-ness behind the appearence of good intentions.
"It's only so she gets healthier" or "I'm just trying to help him get some motivation", but they only insult and belittle them without a shred of compassion or empathy.

I understand how some decisions can help people be healthier and feel better, but those decisions are their to make and not ours to impose. We can try to persuade them if we feel is good, but that persuasion is seldom achieved by insulting and hurting people.

I prefer the acknowledgement and education approach, much more difficult to do, but in that difficulty we can find the real good intentions.
Make people aware of their problem and facilitate access to methods to have a healthier life, guilt them into stop eating is abuse imho Drinking Beverage

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
18-01-2014, 04:57 PM
(15-01-2014 10:10 PM)Chippy Wrote:  I would hazard a guess that your average heroin addict faces more abuse, hostility, hatred and prejudice than your average obese person and they don't have a neologism to throw at their critics.

1. Watch out for those hazard signs because you'd be stepping off a cliff. Type in "fat people are digesting" and "heroine addicts are disgusting" and hazard a guess which get more hits. After all, posts aren't being made belittling heroine addicts.

2. Even if true, so what if you can find a "more" harassed group? The topic is that is there a culture of harassment against a certain group. The answer is yes.

Are you trying to get equal recognition for other harassed groups? Then don't try to limit the recognition of other groups. As someone else stated, people often use the guise of beneficence to just be dicks.
18-01-2014, 05:42 PM
This phobia thing is getting too much. These days it is not possible to have a strong honest opinion about something, without being attacked and getting accused of been "something"phobic. No harm in being honest, but hatred or dislike of someone who is obese is totally out of order.

Here in Europe we think of a phobia as a real fear, as in cacomorphobia. I never heard of Fatphobia before.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
19-01-2014, 10:40 PM
Fat people are stereotyped as being lazy and having no discipline, and when you add that most of us also find excessive fat revolting, then sure, 'fatphobia' is no doubt real. Even fat people generally find fat members of the opposite sex revolting.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
20-01-2014, 12:38 PM
(19-01-2014 10:40 PM)toadaly Wrote:  Fat people are stereotyped as being lazy and having no discipline, and when you add that most of us also find excessive fat revolting, then sure, 'fatphobia' is no doubt real. Even fat people generally find fat members of the opposite sex revolting.

[Image: chubby-mikey2_1117898c.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
20-01-2014, 12:49 PM
(18-01-2014 03:21 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Alright I'm gonna be a dick for a second and pose a question.

Just a thought.

On its face, yes. But when you dig down deeper, no. A lot of it isn't simply about personal choices. The majority of the problem boils down to money and education.

The majority of morbidly obese individuals are poorer individuals. They simply cannot afford healthy, nutritious food. When you only have $200 a month to spend on food for your entire family, are you going to go with grapes at $3.99 lb, or are you going to buy ramen noodles ($1.00 for 5) and canned ($0.84 per can) or frozen veggies ($1.99 lb)? Way back when I was in college and learning to make my way and support myself, my meals consisted of cans of tuna fish, mayo, bread, peanut butter, ramen noodles, and frozen veggies. bananas if they were on sale but that was rare.

The leaner meats in the grocery story are almost always more expensive then the fattier cuts.

Also - you do not choose your metabolism. I have always struggled to maintain my weigh and I am not lazy by any stretch of the imagination. I rise at dawn every morning and run 4-8 miles a day for a total of 30-40 miles a week, On the weekends, I do Search and Rescue training which involves rigorous hikes (4-5 miles) mostly through really rough terrain. I do yoga a few times a week, pole dance, row with a rowing team once a month and participate in running races when the mood strikes me. Marathons, 1/2 marathons, 10 milers, etc. You'd think I'd be a twig but I've always had curves. Always took me 4 days to put on 5 lbs, and six weeks to take it off.

I was once hospitalized for Salmonella for a week. No food, no water by mouth because I couldn't keep anything down. 6 days, 5 nights with ZERO food and IV fluids. Do you wanna take a guess how much weight I lost? 10? 15? 5? TWO. TWO FUCKING LBS. ARGG!!

I guess on the plus side - if there was ever a famine, I would probably out survive a lot of my counterparts.

Of course, Muffs, there are people who are simply fat because they make bad choices and cannot control themselves around food, but those people are not the majority.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
20-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Read an article a couple weeks ago. I didn't think scientists were actually undecided on this before, but apparently now they are sure that there is "no such thing as overweight and healthy."

I dont fear fat people. I dont fear becoming fat. I dislike being stinky or without a shower, and that tends to happen more rapidly to those with more skin folds. I also dont really enjoy the feeling of people encroaching on my space, which seems more apparent with fat people. Of course, exceptions exceptions. My best friend is 300lbs, doesn't stink, and can sit right next to me without affecting my comfort.
20-01-2014, 01:14 PM
WHERE IS HUGHSIE IN THIS THREAD WHEN I NEED HIM TO BE HERE

THIS SHOULD BE A SPIRITUAL THING FOR HIM