Fatphobia?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2014, 12:08 AM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2014 05:33 PM by Dark Light.)
RE: Fatphobia?
(20-01-2014 06:01 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(20-01-2014 05:09 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I hate when people say you can't be over weight and healthy. According to my doctor I am overweight. I eat lean meats that I buy from a local butcher and fresh fruits and veggies that I get mostly for free from my grandma's garden. I almost never drink pop and I only drink juice that I make myself with fruits veggies and a juicer. My resting heart rate is 50-55 bmp. My blood pressure is almost always 112/65 though it drops occasionally. I've got great LDL and HDL cholesterol, and I run 5 miles a day (well when it's not freezing). Scientists be damned, I am healthy.

Yeah, probably... On a BMI chart I'm technically overweight too, but those charts don't account for muscle mass. Still, heres one of the articles:

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/12/03...y-obesity/

It seems to show that people who are overweight and metabolically healthy are still more likely to suffer health problems than those at lower weights. It doesn't seem to account for physical activity though.

That being said, physically fit and metabolically healthy people who are overweight will still suffer from more health problems than someone who is physically fit and metabolically healthy at a lower weight. (largely impact related joint problems, but not limited to that)

Those are so useful observations...however, if you're staying thin by doing high impact exercises you will still likely develop joint related fatigue and injury. I used to do a lot of running (at my peak about 30-40 miles per week), sometimes while carrying excessive weight (rucksacks and such). I was never fat nor particularly muscular, but I have minor joint issues which will only get worse as time goes on.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2014, 10:38 AM
(21-01-2014 12:03 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Well here in Canada, if you aren't at least trying to be healthy, you're only going to burden the healthcare system. Which ends up being detrimental to other people who are having health problems beyond their control. Its also tax payer money; so no obese, lazy, alcoholic smokers please...

Of course, but I read everywhere that if you have 1 or 2 kilos more than you should then your chances of having a heart attack skyrockets and YOU WILL DIE!!!
That kind of stupidity is what I'm talking about, and that's what people insult as being lazy and unwilling to be "better".
Morbidly obese people have a disease, it's hardly their fault anymore and they need treatment, both physical and psychological to overcome it, so it's hardly a matter of will power alone.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
21-01-2014, 12:46 PM
(21-01-2014 10:38 AM)nach_in Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 12:03 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Well here in Canada, if you aren't at least trying to be healthy, you're only going to burden the healthcare system. Which ends up being detrimental to other people who are having health problems beyond their control. Its also tax payer money; so no obese, lazy, alcoholic smokers please...

Of course, but I read everywhere that if you have 1 or 2 kilos more than you should then your chances of having a heart attack skyrockets and YOU WILL DIE!!!
That kind of stupidity is what I'm talking about, and that's what people insult as being lazy and unwilling to be "better".
Morbidly obese people have a disease, it's hardly their fault anymore and they need treatment, both physical and psychological to overcome it, so it's hardly a matter of will power alone.

My brother had a BMI of 35 just a year and a half ago. He changed his diet and started to exercise. He is now a healthy 22.5. He did it on his own and admits that it was completely his own fault for being obese. Same goes for my cousin who was technically more than morbidly obese at 45.6 (super obesity). He is now 28.5, which is in the overweight BMI. He didn't need or take any help. He actually said "its all will power". And I had never seen a 300 lb man jog for over 2 hours... It was incredible. Being a lazy stoner isnt a disease. Just need a little discipline.
21-01-2014, 12:47 PM
(21-01-2014 12:46 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 10:38 AM)nach_in Wrote:  Of course, but I read everywhere that if you have 1 or 2 kilos more than you should then your chances of having a heart attack skyrockets and YOU WILL DIE!!!

My brother had a BMI of 35 just a year and a half ago. He changed his diet and started to exercise. He is now a healthy 22.5. He did it on his own and admits that it was completely his own fault for being obese. Same goes for my cousin who was technically more than morbidly obese at 45.6 (super obesity). He is now 28.5, which is in the overweight BMI. He didn't need or take any help. He actually said "its all will power". And I had never seen a 300 lb man jog for over 2 hours... It was incredible.

just out of curiosity...approximately how much access does your brother have to healthy food options?

ie, is he poor? Or is he able to buy fresh fruit and veggies because he is more financially comfortable?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
21-01-2014, 12:59 PM
(21-01-2014 12:47 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 12:46 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  My brother had a BMI of 35 just a year and a half ago. He changed his diet and started to exercise. He is now a healthy 22.5. He did it on his own and admits that it was completely his own fault for being obese. Same goes for my cousin who was technically more than morbidly obese at 45.6 (super obesity). He is now 28.5, which is in the overweight BMI. He didn't need or take any help. He actually said "its all will power". And I had never seen a 300 lb man jog for over 2 hours... It was incredible.

just out of curiosity...approximately how much access does your brother have to healthy food options?

ie, is he poor? Or is he able to buy fresh fruit and veggies because he is more financially comfortable?

Honestly, he doesn't make much money, and doesn't even work 30 hours a week. He lives with my mom who is in major debt. The food options were never great but she was always willing to get specific items if he wrote a list. She always spent a lot on takeout food from what I remember.

What he does now though is researches a shit ton online. He calculates out all his caloric needs and nutritional needs and plans specific meals on a 14 day rotation. Much of what he eats is bought on sale either locally or online in bulk.

I dont really know how much he spends, but he physically eats less than he used to anyway. So even if the food is more expensive (I'm not even sure it is), he may be spending the same amount. Its not always more time consuming either. He has meals placed in the plan that are mostly components or raw and require little prep. Other meals take no longer than a usual home cooked meal.
21-01-2014, 01:03 PM
My cousin became massive off of very expensive home cooking. Lost weight on significantly less expensive home cooking. His parents are well off.
21-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Lol, I'm overweight with BMI of 25.2

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
21-01-2014, 01:12 PM
(21-01-2014 12:59 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 12:47 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  just out of curiosity...approximately how much access does your brother have to healthy food options?

Honestly, he doesn't make much money, and doesn't even work 30 hours a week. He lives with my mom who is in major debt. The food options were never great but she was always willing to get specific items if he wrote a list. She always spent a lot on takeout food from what I remember.

What he does now though is researches a shit ton online. He calculates out all his caloric needs and nutritional needs and plans specific meals on a 14 day rotation. Much of what he eats is bought on sale either locally or online in bulk.

I dont really know how much he spends, but he physically eats less than he used to anyway. So even if the food is more expensive (I'm not even sure it is), he may be spending the same amount. Its not always more time consuming either. He has meals placed in the plan that are mostly components or raw and require little prep. Other meals take no longer than a usual home cooked meal.

my point was people who only have $200 to spend on groceries for the week for a family of 4-5, cannot afford grapes at 3.99 lb. Fresh fruit, fresh veggies, fish and lean meats are a heck of a lot more expensive, than processed, canned and fattier cuts.

boneless skinless Chicken breasts - 3.99 lb.
boneless, skinless chicken thighs - 3.49 lb
bone in, skin on chicken thighs - .99 lb.

which one you going to chose if you have a very limited budget and more mouths to feed than yourself?

Its not just about willpower. Its also about access to nutritious foods, and education about what is nutritious.

Thats great for your brother - but he doesn't represent the population of morbidly obese.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
21-01-2014, 01:32 PM
I had the good fortune to visit the US a few years back. What surprised me was the size of the food portions I was given in diners and restaurants. Huge! I don't think I ever finished a meal. I used to have breakfast in some diner along the highway and that would do me for the rest of the day. So I wasn't surprised to see so many obese people during my travels.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
21-01-2014, 01:37 PM
(21-01-2014 01:12 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 12:59 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Honestly, he doesn't make much money, and doesn't even work 30 hours a week. He lives with my mom who is in major debt. The food options were never great but she was always willing to get specific items if he wrote a list. She always spent a lot on takeout food from what I remember.

my point was people who only have $200 to spend on groceries for the week for a family of 4-5, cannot afford grapes at 3.99 lb. Fresh fruit, fresh veggies, fish and lean meats are a heck of a lot more expensive, than processed, canned and fattier cuts.

boneless skinless Chicken breasts - 3.99 lb.
boneless, skinless chicken thighs - 3.49 lb
bone in, skin on chicken thighs - .99 lb.

which one you going to chose if you have a very limited budget and more mouths to feed than yourself?

Its not just about willpower. Its also about access to nutritious foods, and education about what is nutritious.

Thats great for your brother - but he doesn't represent the population of morbidly obese.
I gained the most weight I've ever weighed when we were broke and eating rice and beans 3x a day 7 days a week. You can't get cheaper than rice and beans but it's a ridiculously large amount of carbs.
Your brother's is quite amazing to me. Your whole "fat lazy stoner" ideal of obesity is completely off base. For every fat lazy stoner there are thousands of people with real health problems that slowly lead them into obesity and no matter how hard they try they cannot get out. Obesity is a serious health issue that needs to be addressed through educations and healthy food options.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.