Fatphobia?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2014, 01:39 PM
RE: Fatphobia?
(21-01-2014 01:12 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 12:59 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Honestly, he doesn't make much money, and doesn't even work 30 hours a week. He lives with my mom who is in major debt. The food options were never great but she was always willing to get specific items if he wrote a list. She always spent a lot on takeout food from what I remember.

What he does now though is researches a shit ton online. He calculates out all his caloric needs and nutritional needs and plans specific meals on a 14 day rotation. Much of what he eats is bought on sale either locally or online in bulk.

I dont really know how much he spends, but he physically eats less than he used to anyway. So even if the food is more expensive (I'm not even sure it is), he may be spending the same amount. Its not always more time consuming either. He has meals placed in the plan that are mostly components or raw and require little prep. Other meals take no longer than a usual home cooked meal.

my point was people who only have $200 to spend on groceries for the week for a family of 4-5, cannot afford grapes at 3.99 lb. Fresh fruit, fresh veggies, fish and lean meats are a heck of a lot more expensive, than processed, canned and fattier cuts.

boneless skinless Chicken breasts - 3.99 lb.
boneless, skinless chicken thighs - 3.49 lb
bone in, skin on chicken thighs - .99 lb.

which one you going to chose if you have a very limited budget and more mouths to feed than yourself?

Its not just about willpower. Its also about access to nutritious foods, and education about what is nutritious.

Thats great for your brother - but he doesn't represent the population of morbidly obese.

Absolutely true on the price of groceries. Absolutely true! Well said you!Thumbsup

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2014, 01:42 PM
(21-01-2014 12:46 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 10:38 AM)nach_in Wrote:  Of course, but I read everywhere that if you have 1 or 2 kilos more than you should then your chances of having a heart attack skyrockets and YOU WILL DIE!!!
That kind of stupidity is what I'm talking about, and that's what people insult as being lazy and unwilling to be "better".
Morbidly obese people have a disease, it's hardly their fault anymore and they need treatment, both physical and psychological to overcome it, so it's hardly a matter of will power alone.

My brother had a BMI of 35 just a year and a half ago. He changed his diet and started to exercise. He is now a healthy 22.5. He did it on his own and admits that it was completely his own fault for being obese. Same goes for my cousin who was technically more than morbidly obese at 45.6 (super obesity). He is now 28.5, which is in the overweight BMI. He didn't need or take any help. He actually said "its all will power". And I had never seen a 300 lb man jog for over 2 hours... It was incredible. Being a lazy stoner isnt a disease. Just need a little discipline.

That's great for your brother, I hope he can keep it up. But most people in that situation can't keep a good BMI for more than a couple of years, they eventually fall back.
Morbid obesity has all the characteristics of an addiction, and like with any addiction will power is a big factor, but it can't fix everything alone because food is something we can't just cut out of our lives.
Any recovered obese needs a support system, regular medical checks, and psychological treatment is often useful.

As I said, extremes are bad, I'm saying that we consider someone to be fat if they have 10 kilos up, it's overweight yes, and it can cause health problems yes, but I for myself can't give a fuck about it, we have such a terror about death that we can't even let ourselves die in peace.

I for one, when it comes, want to receive death with a grin and a condescending look in my eyes, not with fear and counting how many calories I should've avoided to buy myself a few more days

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
21-01-2014, 01:45 PM
This is a touchy subject for me. I've struggled with my weight over the years, but I've never been grossly overweight. I at least try to exercise; I've done pushups and situps over the years. I only recently (as of late 2012) started running again, which has helped bring my weight down to a healthy level. My weight increased after I left the military because I injured my foot while performing regular jumps as a paratrooper. Running was painful; it still is, but I've learned to deal with it.

I don't generally have a problem with overweight people (considering my past). It is only when they bitch about certain things, such as people like "Fit Mom," that I get pissed off. I've noticed that someone brought up the expensive nature of healthy foods regarding feeding a family. This is understandable to a point, but the argument can only be taken so far. As much as I despise Dr. Oz, he makes a good point about the generally unhealthy "lifestyle" of overweight families:

Quote:People say their weight is genetic. But it turns out that people who are overweight don't just have overweight kids. They also have overweight pets. That's not genetic.

My sister's family is a prime example of this. She is overweight, as is her husband, her children, and their dog. This is because they would rather stuff their face while sitting on the couch than cut back on their portions and exercise occasionally. They make plenty of money to buy healthy food, but they choose not to. This worries me because I don't want my niece and nephew to die of heart attacks before they reach 25.

Despite what I wrote above, I realize genetics plays a part in someone's weight. Mother nature ran me over with the "slowest metabolism in the world" truck at birth. I also know that medication can play a part too (it certainly did in my situation). But my overall point is falling prey to the idea that you're going to get fat anyway so you might as well eat what you want is only going to make your waist line grow unless you do something about it. I did and others can too. I guess you could say I have lazyphobia.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
21-01-2014, 01:51 PM
(21-01-2014 01:45 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  This is a touchy subject for me. I've struggled with my weight over the years, but I've never been grossly overweight. I at least try to exercise; I've done pushups and situps over the years. I only recently (as of late 2012) started running again, which has helped bring my weight down to a healthy level. My weight increased after I left the military because I injured my foot while performing regular jumps as a paratrooper. Running was painful; it still is, but I've learned to deal with it.

I don't generally have a problem with overweight people (considering my past). It is only when they bitch about certain things, such as people like "Fit Mom," that I get pissed off. I've noticed that someone brought up the expensive nature of healthy foods regarding feeding a family. This is understandable to a point, but the argument can only be taken so far. As much as I despise Dr. Oz, he makes a good point about the generally unhealthy "lifestyle" of overweight families:

Quote:People say their weight is genetic. But it turns out that people who are overweight don't just have overweight kids. They also have overweight pets. That's not genetic.

My sister's family is a prime example of this. She is overweight, as is her husband, her children, and their dog. This is because they would rather stuff their face while sitting on the couch than cut back on their portions and exercise occasionally. They make plenty of money to buy healthy food, but they choose not to. This worries me because I don't want my niece and nephew to die of heart attacks before they reach 25.

Despite what I wrote above, I realize genetics plays a part in someone's weight. Mother nature ran me over with the "slowest metabolism in the world" truck at birth. I also know that medication can play a part too (it certainly did in my situation). But my overall point is falling prey to the idea that you're going to get fat anyway so you might as well eat what you want is only going to make your waist line grow unless you do something about it. I did and others can too. I guess you could say I have lazyphobia.
Don't say lazyphobia chippy will get upset!

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
21-01-2014, 01:58 PM
(21-01-2014 01:51 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Don't say lazyphobia chippy will get upset!

I wonder if you says it 3 times, he will go away. Ya know, like Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice Beetlejuice.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
21-01-2014, 02:00 PM
(21-01-2014 01:58 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 01:51 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Don't say lazyphobia chippy will get upset!

I wonder if you says it 3 times, he will go away. Ya know, like Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice Beetlejuice.

NO! that's how you summon it! No

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 3 users Like nach_in's post
21-01-2014, 02:05 PM
(21-01-2014 02:00 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 01:58 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I wonder if you says it 3 times, he will go away. Ya know, like Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice Beetlejuice.

NO! that's how you summon it! No

Uh oh you did it now!

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
21-01-2014, 02:46 PM
(21-01-2014 01:12 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 12:59 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Honestly, he doesn't make much money, and doesn't even work 30 hours a week. He lives with my mom who is in major debt. The food options were never great but she was always willing to get specific items if he wrote a list. She always spent a lot on takeout food from what I remember.

What he does now though is researches a shit ton online. He calculates out all his caloric needs and nutritional needs and plans specific meals on a 14 day rotation. Much of what he eats is bought on sale either locally or online in bulk.

I dont really know how much he spends, but he physically eats less than he used to anyway. So even if the food is more expensive (I'm not even sure it is), he may be spending the same amount. Its not always more time consuming either. He has meals placed in the plan that are mostly components or raw and require little prep. Other meals take no longer than a usual home cooked meal.

my point was people who only have $200 to spend on groceries for the week for a family of 4-5, cannot afford grapes at 3.99 lb. Fresh fruit, fresh veggies, fish and lean meats are a heck of a lot more expensive, than processed, canned and fattier cuts.

boneless skinless Chicken breasts - 3.99 lb.
boneless, skinless chicken thighs - 3.49 lb
bone in, skin on chicken thighs - .99 lb.

which one you going to chose if you have a very limited budget and more mouths to feed than yourself?

Its not just about willpower. Its also about access to nutritious foods, and education about what is nutritious.

Thats great for your brother - but he doesn't represent the population of morbidly obese.

So because the cheap chicken has skin (the same stuff I buy), youre gonna eat the skin? Just because you get 3-4x more food for the same price doesn't mean you have to eat 3-4x as much... You dont eat the chicken bones, do ya?

There is a guy here at work who lives on very little grocery money and eats incredibly healthy. You dont need to buy a shitload of fresh veggies. The frozen stuff is cheaper, keeps a long time, and you aren't going to wake up weighing 300lbs after eating a bag of frozen veggies. Ive been through the states... You have way more access to cheap and healthy food than we do even just north of the border. Our dollar is similar, yet we pay like 50% more up here.

I will admit that those who have no access to the internet or a library or someone who has knowledge about nutrition might not make nutritious choices... But that is hardly anybody.

Buy on sale and in bulk. Buy frozen. Buy fresh when feasable. Supplement with multivitamins. Instead of spending X amount for 2500 calories a day with low nutritional value. Spend that same amount on 1800 calories a day with a higher nutritional value.

If a poor family is overweight, they're eating too many calories. Too much food. If eating less of this cheap food means they dont get enough nutrients, well... If you spend the same amount for less food, you can get more nutritious food. I'm not saying everyone has the means to eat healthy. But without a doubt, the "poor" people who are overweight are eating too many calories and CAN eat less with more nutrients for the same total cost.

The skinny poor people are the ones who may not have a choice.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
21-01-2014, 03:04 PM
I'm fat and hate myself for it, does that count?

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
21-01-2014, 03:16 PM
The whole idea that people are fat because they are poor seems ridiculous to me.

Wouldn't that logic suggest that poor countries are filled with obese people? I can tell you that's not the case where I live.

And what about rich fat people?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post