Fatphobia?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2014, 04:56 PM
RE: Fatphobia?
(20-01-2014 06:05 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Does anyone else have a crazy metabolism like me where if you miss a day of eating you drop like 5 pounds?? Cause we take some shit ourselves - we skinny people. We tend to get hated on for NOT battling weight. Any other thin people out there tired of being hated for being thin?

*ducks*

(yes I actually AM grateful for my high metabolism.)

i have a high metabolism (i suppose) and i hate it. I eat more than a normal person,and i don't get any weight Sadcryface

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
21-01-2014, 04:56 PM
(21-01-2014 03:43 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I think the money side of it has valid truths too it. However, I think I'm probably best at the moment to comment on this situation because I'm poor as fuck and can't afford the food I'd like.
You can certainly go healthy on a budget. A packet of frozen wedges (chips) or fries costs the same as a packet of frozen mixed veg. So get the veg instead.
You can get big packets of sausages really cheap. And potatoes are always cheap.
2 sausages, a healping of mixed veg and some potato. That's a cheap healthy meal.
The sausages may be a little unhealthy (especially the cheap ones) but then it's just a matter of portions. 2 instead of 3 sort of thing.

And you can't tell me that buying take away food every night for dinner is due to lack of money... That shit's expensive as hell.
I can have subway/kfc/noodle canteen for $10 for 1 meal. Or I can get frozen veg, meat etc.. for $10 for 2 or 3 meals.

I think it's 100% a life style choice. Well, maybe 99%, 1% medical.

Oh and just to clarify, when I'm talking fat I'm not talking slightly podgy, I'm talking fat fat, like the fat you see on the Biggest Loser.
I don't believe anyone gets that big simply because of a mad metabolism or because they're poor. That's poor lifestyle.
So much truth man. I freakin learned to control my eating because I was effing poor. Eating fast food every night is WAY too expensive when your monthly budget for food is $150 (that was my budget in college). Unless I literally just ate 4 one dollar burders per day (tax).

Just by sticking with my budget, I lost like 15-20 pounds from what I weighed when I had semi-unlimited access to food. 99% lifestyle, I agree. And it's HARD to not eat too much, I struggle with it, honestly.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
21-01-2014, 05:20 PM
(21-01-2014 04:39 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 03:44 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Rice and beans is actually a cheap source of complete protein. Its better to have more beans than rice though as they contain better complex carbs, fiber and nutritional value and supply 7 of the 9 required amino acids. The rice is simply to supliment the remaining aminos. The same can be done with bread or whole wheats in place of rice. Complete protein sources are meats, soy beans, and quinoa... Which can be expensive.

Now, if you were eating enough rice and beans to gain weight, consider eating less of those (which keep a long time anyway) and spending the money saved elsewhere; things you won't get from rice and beans.

Eating excess calories leads to a larger body. Larger bodies require more calories and nutrients to sustain. If you weigh less, you need less calories and nutrients to sustain. Gaining weight on excess calories is like adding rooms to a house but not adding more furniture or being able to afford the heating bill...

Do you know how small a cup of rice actually is, and how little that sustains you nutritionally for 5 hours?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/05/opinion/gr...ty-health/

I don't even eat rice usually because its basically just carbs with almost no real nutrients. The point still stands though, if you're gaining weight, you're eating MORE calories than you need. Either eat less, or eat something different. You cannot gain weight by eating less calories than you use. You can certainly gain weight and still take in less vitamins and minerals than you require though.

Say average joe needed 2000 calories to maintain their healthy weight.

If people can somehow afford to eat 4000 calories (2x required) a day and take in 100% of the required nutrients, they will gain weight unless they burn those extra 2000 calories each day (A LOT of exercise)

By eating 2000 calories worth of the same food, they will maintain weight, but are only getting 50% of the required nutrients for bodily functions. But, they have spent half as much on the food.

They now have that remaining money they saved to spend on vitamins and nutrient dense foods. Or go even less, like 1/3 (1333 calories) on the oridinal diet, and spend the other 2/3 of the money saved on the remaining 666 calories.

You could certainly gain weight by eating 4000 calories worth of sugar each day, but that would be about ZERO nutritional value. Since most people have enough money to easily eat more calories than they need, the finesse comes in balancing the vitamins, minerals, nutrients gained. The ideal solution is to go to a site with nutritional info, graphs etc. and find which foods give the best balance of calories from (carbs/fats/proteins), then look through those foods for which have the best nutritional value. Then of that list, find which are the most affordable
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
21-01-2014, 05:27 PM
(21-01-2014 04:22 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 03:16 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  The whole idea that people are fat because they are poor seems ridiculous to me.

Wouldn't that logic suggest that poor countries are filled with obese people? I can tell you that's not the case where I live.

And what about rich fat people?

Slow - I certainly didn't mean to imply that ALL poor people are fat, or ONLY fat people are poor. You cannot deny the correlation.

"The link between obesity, inactivity, and poverty may be too costly to ignore because obesity-associated chronic disease already accounts for 70% of U.S. health costs. For instance, counties with greatest rates of poverty have greatest diabetes rates too (Fig. 1D). In 2009, 27% of people living in the U.S. with annual household outcomes below $25,000 were uninsured (no private or government health insurance). This cohort represents, 15,483,000 people, ~5 million with obesity and ~1 million with diabetes (10). With expanded health care provision in the U.S., the potential incremental health care costs of diabetes alone for these individuals approximates $9 billion/year, or $9,000 per new diabetes patient/year (11). There are, however, additional economic factors that may impact the cost-return equation, for instance, 1) potential savings associated with diabetes prevention, 2) the opportunity to develop and deliver high-quality and low-cost diabetes care to poverty-dense communities, 3) the health cost savings associated with the prevention of diabetes complications in patients with diabetes, and 4) the potential lost tax revenues associated with disability (12). Add these figures to the health care costs of other chronic obesity-associated diagnoses such as hypertension, hyperlipidemia, sleep disorders, arthritis, cardiovascular disease, and asthma and the projected health care costs of poverty increase."

I understand that, what I am saying is that people are not fat because they are poor, it may well be the other way around. You don't get obese just by eating unhealthy food, you get obese by eating enormous quantities of unhealthy food, which actually cost more in total then eating normal quantities of healthy food.

If you pick some obese person and allow him any food that he wants free of charge you think that he will suddenly develop a taste for veggies and normal sized meals or he will still prefer to stuff his face with unhealthiest greasiest shit that he can find?

All the fat people I know, eat amazing amounts of food, like their one meal is more food that I eat in two days. Poor people I know are not fat.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
21-01-2014, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2014 06:06 PM by Adrianime.)
To be fair, it's easy to over-eat without greasy foods or fast food. Pasta is a perfect example, and a common vegetarian goto. Pasta is usually terrible and just pure carbs with a high calorie count (not even talking about the sauce). Incredibly easy to overeat. I guess some pasta has a little bit of protein, which is good Smile.

~220 calories in just a cup of spaghetti noodles. When I eat pasta, I probably have at least 3 cups of noodles. Then the sauce...mmm I love pasta Big Grin.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
21-01-2014, 07:31 PM
(21-01-2014 05:27 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 04:22 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Slow - I certainly didn't mean to imply that ALL poor people are fat, or ONLY fat people are poor. You cannot deny the correlation.

"The link between obesity, inactivity, and poverty may be too costly to ignore because obesity-associated chronic disease already accounts for 70% of U.S. health costs. For instance, counties with greatest rates of poverty have greatest diabetes rates too (Fig. 1D). In 2009, 27% of people living in the U.S. with annual household outcomes below $25,000 were uninsured (no private or government health insurance). This cohort represents, 15,483,000 people, ~5 million with obesity and ~1 million with diabetes (10). With expanded health care provision in the U.S., the potential incremental health care costs of diabetes alone for these individuals approximates $9 billion/year, or $9,000 per new diabetes patient/year (11). There are, however, additional economic factors that may impact the cost-return equation, for instance, 1) potential savings associated with diabetes prevention, 2) the opportunity to develop and deliver high-quality and low-cost diabetes care to poverty-dense communities, 3) the health cost savings associated with the prevention of diabetes complications in patients with diabetes, and 4) the potential lost tax revenues associated with disability (12). Add these figures to the health care costs of other chronic obesity-associated diagnoses such as hypertension, hyperlipidemia, sleep disorders, arthritis, cardiovascular disease, and asthma and the projected health care costs of poverty increase."

I understand that, what I am saying is that people are not fat because they are poor, it may well be the other way around. You don't get obese just by eating unhealthy food, you get obese by eating enormous quantities of unhealthy food, which actually cost more in total then eating normal quantities of healthy food.

If you pick some obese person and allow him any food that he wants free of charge you think that he will suddenly develop a taste for veggies and normal sized meals or he will still prefer to stuff his face with unhealthiest greasiest shit that he can find?

All the fat people I know, eat amazing amounts of food, like their one meal is more food that I eat in two days. Poor people I know are not fat.

I see what you mean. I am very careful what I eat, and engage in copious amounts of exercise. I have the slowest metabolism in the world.

Some of it really is genetics. I lost a lousy 2 lbs after a week without food, barfing and shitting my brains out during a weeklong hospital stay.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
21-01-2014, 11:23 PM
(21-01-2014 03:16 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  The whole idea that people are fat because they are poor seems ridiculous to me.

Wouldn't that logic suggest that poor countries are filled with obese people? I can tell you that's not the case where I live.

And what about rich fat people?

In the west it's true. Fattening fast food is by far the cheapest available food source. Nutritious fresh food is far more expensive.
But even the poorest american is probably better off than African's that don't even have drinkingwater regularly.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
21-01-2014, 11:56 PM
I just can't help myself. I gotta say something.....

Fresh fruits and veggies do not have to be expensive. I feel like a broken record, but I guess is all about educating, right? Growing food is CHEAP! VERY CHEAP! So like Cosmo says, eat a little less beans and rice, and spend it on some good stuff....and save a few cents to buy some seeds!

....I promise I'll get my book written soon. Dodgy

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
21-01-2014, 11:59 PM
(21-01-2014 11:56 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I just can't help myself. I gotta say something.....

Fresh fruits and veggies do not have to be expensive. I feel like a broken record, but I guess is all about educating, right? Growing food is CHEAP! VERY CHEAP! So like Cosmo says, eat a little less beans and rice, and spend it on some good stuff....and save a few cents to buy some seeds!

having a backyard is expensive though Drinking Beverage

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
22-01-2014, 12:01 AM
(21-01-2014 11:59 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 11:56 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I just can't help myself. I gotta say something.....

having a backyard is expensive though Drinking Beverage
Hence my book. Not having a back yard is a poor excuse not to grow something. Got a window that faces south? Then shame on you for buying those store bought tomatoes!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post