Fatphobia?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2014, 12:01 AM
RE: Fatphobia?
(21-01-2014 11:56 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I just can't help myself. I gotta say something.....

Fresh fruits and veggies do not have to be expensive. I feel like a broken record, but I guess is all about educating, right? Growing food is CHEAP! VERY CHEAP! So like Cosmo says, eat a little less beans and rice, and spend it on some good stuff....and save a few cents to buy some seeds!

....I promise I'll get my book written soon. Dodgy

Pls don't bring beans into this, they should be their own food group, really. Big Grin

But yes, growing food is inexpensive and a healthy diet is manageable.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
22-01-2014, 12:07 AM
(22-01-2014 12:01 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 11:59 PM)nach_in Wrote:  having a backyard is expensive though Drinking Beverage
Hence my book. Not having a back yard is a poor excuse not to grow something. Got a window that faces south? Then shame on you for buying those store bought tomatoes!

I've been contemplating making a windowfarm for a long time, I can't be bothered to actually make it though Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
22-01-2014, 01:54 AM
(22-01-2014 12:07 AM)nach_in Wrote:  
(22-01-2014 12:01 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Hence my book. Not having a back yard is a poor excuse not to grow something. Got a window that faces south? Then shame on you for buying those store bought tomatoes!

I've been contemplating making a windowfarm for a long time, I can't be bothered to actually make it though Tongue

There are super tall trees (a lot of them) blocking my windows Sad
My fruits and veggies grow in my grandma's back yard. They also get canned(why does she call it canning when she uses jars? I don't know) for the winter. Smile
I still buy some fresh in the winter though. I don't don't really care for "canned" except green beans and jams.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
22-01-2014, 02:27 AM
My dog ate my whole garden one year. Tomatoes, chives, cucumbers... Everything.

And lately the cat has been eating anything thats left out. She ate a bowl of spinach last night. Some dried bread for the ducks the other night. I haven't found a food item she won't eat... I fear Ive created a monster. I woke up to her literally chewing on my feet.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
22-01-2014, 06:46 AM
I have a black thumb. Every plant I tried to have I kill. I love Thai basil....yeah, that plant lasted a week.

I have an apple tree in my backyard, but I dond have to do anything to that, so it lives. :-)

Funny how organic apples look so gross and ugly. They have brown spots all over them and are horribly misshapen. But once I got past that, they are fine to eat, rather delish!

I wish I had the enegy, or talent for a vegetable garden...hard to keep the rabbits and deer out of it though.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
22-01-2014, 06:52 AM
(22-01-2014 06:46 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I have a black thumb. Every plant I tried to have I kill. I love Thai basil....yeah, that plant lasted a week.

I have an apple tree in my backyard, but I dond have to do anything to that, so it lives. :-)

Funny how organic apples look so gross and ugly. They have brown spots all over them and are horribly misshapen. But once I got past that, they are fine to eat, rather delish!

I wish I had the enegy, or talent for a vegetable garden...hard to keep the rabbits and deer out of it though.

Quick rule of thumb with almost all herbs - the more you ignore them, neglect them the stronger they grow. Plant em, give em a drink, make sure they have sunlight at least 1/2 a day and ignore them. With most herbs it's all about sunshine. Most are basically weeds.
Thumbsup

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
22-01-2014, 06:53 AM
(22-01-2014 02:27 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  My dog ate my whole garden one year. Tomatoes, chives, cucumbers... Everything.

And lately the cat has been eating anything thats left out. She ate a bowl of spinach last night. Some dried bread for the ducks the other night. I haven't found a food item she won't eat... I fear Ive created a monster. I woke up to her literally chewing on my feet.

Jesus - that's not good Blink

22-01-2014, 06:55 AM
(22-01-2014 06:46 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I have a black thumb. Every plant I tried to have I kill. I love Thai basil....yeah, that plant lasted a week.

Your apples should be round, plump, and free from blemishes. I can't imagine why you'd think that's a characteristic of organic apples! Lol!

May I suggest pruning your tree to improve size and shape, and a good thick layer of mulch for moisture retention? If you're feeling really generous perhaps some compost under the mulch?

Also, chas is kinda the apple expert round these parts. He could probably give some suggestions.

Stay tuned...I'm going to do a container tutorial in a month or so in perpetration for spring. Easy, weed free garden that anyone can do.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
22-01-2014, 06:55 AM
(22-01-2014 12:01 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 11:56 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I just can't help myself. I gotta say something.....

Fresh fruits and veggies do not have to be expensive. I feel like a broken record, but I guess is all about educating, right? Growing food is CHEAP! VERY CHEAP! So like Cosmo says, eat a little less beans and rice, and spend it on some good stuff....and save a few cents to buy some seeds!

....I promise I'll get my book written soon. Dodgy

Pls don't bring beans into this, they should be their own food group, really. Big Grin

But yes, growing food is inexpensive and a healthy diet is manageable.

We had a blast last year growing our own salad greens. We literally did this in containers on the deck. Loved going outside with some scissors and gathering fresh salad greens every night for dinner.

[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
22-01-2014, 06:56 AM
(22-01-2014 06:55 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Stay tuned...I'm going to do a container tutorial in a month or so in perpetration for spring. Easy, weed free garden that anyone can do.

You read my mind!Thumbsup