Favorite Atheist Misconception?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Favorite Atheist Misconception?
Do you have any favorite misconceptions or quotes about atheism that make you face palm?

I think one of my favorites is "Atheism- Hating God and worshiping Satan" YUP. You nailed it.

I also get a kick out of "Atheists aren't really atheists. They know that God exists, so you can't take their arguments seriously anyway". How convenient. Oh, you disagree? Well even though you say you disagree, deep down I know you do agree Big Grin kthxbye

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2014, 11:32 AM
RE: Favorite Atheist Misconception?
My favorite one is that people think I must prove that god doesn't exist in order to be an atheist.
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
26-02-2014, 11:35 AM
I love it when they ask (when explained I don't believe), "what happened to you?"

Or they assert, "Oh well you try my church." As if that suddenly will change my mind.

What I really love are the assumptions they have but don't voice. Like when they know I'm being honest about something and seem surprised.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
26-02-2014, 11:42 AM
That if we don't worship God we must worship Satan. To me that is like arguing "If you don't worship Superman then you must worship Lex Luther".

Or "If you say there is no god you are claiming humans are gods?" No, if one claims gods don't exist then how the hell can we as humans be gods?. How about the third option. Gods don't exist and humans are not gods either.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
26-02-2014, 11:50 AM
My favorite is that it takes faith to be an atheist.

Every time I hear those words I realize how much shit is flying over their heads XD

It's only a debate if both parties are willing to let each other's opinions change their own.
If you aren't willing to change in light of learning more about what you fight for, what the hell are you doing expecting the other party to want to change?
[+] 6 users Like le_bard's post
26-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Apparently cos I sin so much, Im absolving responsibility by saying I don't believe in god.

Haha yes I've hated god too.. And I'm also 'at war with Christ'
[+] 1 user Likes TheStraightener's post
26-02-2014, 12:04 PM
"Where to you get your morals from" Always ticks me off, like I am an idiot who does not recognize what is good or bad.

"You are just angry against God, why so angry with him?" Because he does not exist and you are convinced he does - that is why I am angry!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 3 users Like Timber1025's post
26-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Being thought of as someone who hates God and/or just wants to sin.

Assuming I must prove God doesn't exist.
[+] 2 users Like anonymous66's post
26-02-2014, 12:33 PM
That atheists are immoral, hypocritical, satanic, mentally unstable/damaged people that need [insert god here] to be whole again.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 3 users Like Im_Ryan's post
26-02-2014, 12:40 PM
For me it's the vile revulsion, as if I'm the human in the land of the pod people

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post