Favorite Atheist Misconception?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2014, 01:04 PM
RE: Favorite Atheist Misconception?
Today I got, "Why are you so angry at our beliefs?" Who said I was angry when I carefully explained to you that a bible in someone's shirt pocket that stopped a bullet isn't a miracle? Silly theists.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2014, 01:13 PM
My favorite misconception?

That we all eat babies.

I mean, seriously, this is just stupid. Babies are way too much work for the payoff. There's very little meat, most of it is too fatty, and if you don't get them before they start crawling, the meat starts to get stringy and tough.

The one that makes me facepalm the most?

"Why are you angry at God?"

I like to respond to this one with "Why are you angry at Papa Smurf?"

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
26-02-2014, 01:20 PM
We deny God because we want to have sex, eat bacon and kill people.

We are lost and need Jesus to show us the way.

We are just teens who need anger management.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 6 users Like undergroundp's post
26-02-2014, 01:20 PM
(26-02-2014 01:13 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  My favorite misconception?

That we all eat babies.

I mean, seriously, this is just stupid. Babies are way too much work for the payoff. There's very little meat, most of it is too fatty, and if you don't get them before they start crawling, the meat starts to get stringy and tough.

You might be doing it wrong, try this recipe but switch out the pork for the infant, I think you'll find that the meat comes right off the bone Drooling

http://www.closetcooking.com/2013/03/cub...asado.html
http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-c...asada.html

Remember to marinate the meat in mojo overnight! Let me know how it comes out.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
26-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Re: Favorite Atheist Misconception?
That being atheists means you think you know all the answers.

Nonsensical presumptions are the best

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
26-02-2014, 01:35 PM
The morality stuff definitely ticks me off. Dawkin's chapter on morality in The God Delusion was really good. He articulated what I had been feeling for a long while. I had a friends mom who told me that science may give us the how, but religion gives us the why...and morality. At the time, I wasn't quite sure how to respond. Now being a bit more well read, I wish I could go back in time and answer her.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
26-02-2014, 01:35 PM
(26-02-2014 01:20 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

That we all eat babies.

You might be doing it wrong, try this recipe but switch out the pork for the infant, I think you'll find that the meat comes right off the bone Drooling

http://www.closetcooking.com/2013/03/cub...asado.html
http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-c...asada.html

Remember to marinate the meat in mojo overnight! Let me know how it comes out.

Thanks! I'll be the life of all the devil worshipping, virgin sacrifice parties I attend!

Say, you wouldn't happen to have a good recipe for Puppy Jerky or Kitten Legs, would you?

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
26-02-2014, 01:38 PM

That we all eat babies.

Clearly you need to read A Modest Proposal. Thumbsup

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-02-2014, 01:38 PM
(26-02-2014 12:40 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  For me it's the vile revulsion, as if I'm the human in the land of the pod people

This one scene scared the bajeezus out of me when I was a kid...had to have the nightlight on for weeks. Thanks for bringing back those terrible memories! That being said...pretty accurate reference.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
26-02-2014, 01:39 PM
That I was never a "real christian".

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post