Favorite Atheist Misconception?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2014, 01:43 PM
RE: Favorite Atheist Misconception?
(26-02-2014 01:38 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(26-02-2014 01:13 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  My favorite misconception?

That we all eat babies.

I mean, seriously, this is just stupid. Babies are way too much work for the payoff. There's very little meat, most of it is too fatty, and if you don't get them before they start crawling, the meat starts to get stringy and tough.

Clearly you need to read A Modest Proposal. Thumbsup

Thanks. Now not only am I hungry, but I REALLY REALLY want a pair of babyskin boots.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
26-02-2014, 01:58 PM
"You believe in nothing" . That is always the one that makes me shake my head. If I don't believe as you do I must believe in nothing.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
26-02-2014, 02:01 PM
(26-02-2014 01:20 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  We deny God because we want to have sex, eat bacon and kill people.

lol, maybe not kill people, but sex and bacon are both pretty awesome. Sex with bacon? Or bacon with bacon? Now we're talking!

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
[+] 3 users Like =jesse='s post
26-02-2014, 02:20 PM
(26-02-2014 02:01 PM)=jesse= Wrote:  
(26-02-2014 01:20 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  We deny God because we want to have sex, eat bacon and kill people.

lol, maybe not kill people, but sex and bacon are both pretty awesome. Sex with bacon? Or bacon with bacon? Now we're talking!

Sometimes I want to kill people, but I find that sex and bacon usually calm me down.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
26-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Another that comes to mind is the assumption that an atheist's life is different in that it has no meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes anonymous66's post
26-02-2014, 02:35 PM
The one that gets me is "well Hitler was an atheist".
First, no he wasn't. Second, even if he was, that doesn't mean I'm anything like him. Third, the statement is a cop-out substitute for an actual argument.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
26-02-2014, 02:39 PM
That Atheists only believe there is no god because they want to sin willy nilly and not be responsible for their actions.

Give me a break.
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
26-02-2014, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2014 06:41 PM by Full Circle.)
(26-02-2014 01:35 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(26-02-2014 01:20 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  You might be doing it wrong, try this recipe but switch out the pork for the infant, I think you'll find that the meat comes right off the bone Drooling

http://www.closetcooking.com/2013/03/cub...asado.html
http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-c...asada.html

Remember to marinate the meat in mojo overnight! Let me know how it comes out.

Thanks! I'll be the life of all the devil worshipping, virgin sacrifice parties I attend!

Say, you wouldn't happen to have a good recipe for Puppy Jerky or Kitten Legs, would you?

Jesus H. Christ! No! We're not savages here!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
26-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Hobbitgirl beat me to it. Angry Hmm, now that I think about, we will be needing a baby for the forum BBQ in about 8 months or so. Evil_monster

Just playing Hobbitgirl Tongue

My favorite is 'your an athiest because you want to do whatever you want and sin', fucking drives me nuts. Hobo

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
26-02-2014, 03:16 PM
I hate the misuse of the word. Typically, when they say "atheist" they mean "gnostic atheist", then they proceed to tell me what I believe and start arguing against stances I don't have. This is usually where the notion of "you need faith to be an atheist" comes from.

Similarly, I hate when they assume that atheism = evolution = abiogenesis = the big bang. You say something about evolution and then they go off on how abiogenesis isn't proven or some crap.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post