Favorite Atheist Misconception?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2014, 03:44 PM
RE: Favorite Atheist Misconception?
Only really had it from one person and she thought that it was because I hadn't been exposed to religion and didn't know the bible. Told her I did and I found nothing compelling in it and that I had attended something in the region of 1500 religious services during high school and found nothing compelling in them either.

She couldn't wrap her head around they fact that someone could know all about Jesus and be apathetic about it. Kind of like Twilight fans who can't believe you didn't find that load of tosh remotely engaging.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Pippen's post
26-02-2014, 03:52 PM
(26-02-2014 03:44 PM)Pippen Wrote:  Only really had it from one person and she thought that it was because I hadn't been exposed to religion and didn't know the bible. Told her I did and I found nothing compelling in it and that I had attended something in the region of 1500 religious services during high school and found nothing compelling in them either.

She couldn't wrap her head around they fact that someone could know all about Jesus and be apathetic about it. Kind of like Twilight fans who can't believe you didn't find that load of tosh remotely engaging.

Love the Twilight reference. Couldn't have said it better myself. I had a cousin that once asked me how I could possibly be an atheist. He knew that I had grown up religious and attended church regularly. He simply couldn't fathom that I could have received the word of god and rejected it. I think he was convinced I was possesed by a demon or something. That's obviously the only rational explanation... Drinking Beverage

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
26-02-2014, 05:10 PM
(26-02-2014 02:35 PM)Impulse Wrote:  The one that gets me is "well Hitler was an atheist".
First, no he wasn't. Second, even if he was, that doesn't mean I'm anything like him. Third, the statement is a cop-out substitute for an actual argument.

Yeah, that one is as stupid as saying: "Oh, so you like steak? Well, Hitler liked steak too, you Nazi bastard!"

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
26-02-2014, 05:54 PM
We worship Darwin and have faith in his " just a theory" book.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
13-06-2014, 04:29 AM
I recently had someone write me several emails trying to convince me that if I left Christianity (I spent almost 40 years in the church), it was because something was wrong with me, and that I needed to be more patient with God. She was also very interested in whether or not I had ever "received the Spirit".
13-06-2014, 04:32 AM
(13-06-2014 04:29 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  I recently had someone write me several emails trying to convince me that if I left Christianity (I spent almost 40 years in the church), it was because something was wrong with me, and that I needed to be more patient with God. She was also very interested in whether or not I had ever "received the Spirit".

Yeah, basically every No True Scotsman fallacy ever...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
13-06-2014, 05:09 AM
(26-02-2014 01:39 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  That I was never a "real christian".

Yes! This one.

I hear this one constantly.

Pat Robertson thinks women become atheist because they were raped.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
13-06-2014, 06:20 AM
(13-06-2014 04:29 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  She was also very interested in whether or not I had ever "received the Spirit".

Whatever the fuck that means. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
13-06-2014, 07:21 AM
The only misconception I have personally been on the receiving end of is:

"Well you can't prove there isn't a god out there."

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
13-06-2014, 08:13 AM
(13-06-2014 04:29 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  I recently had someone write me several emails trying to convince me that if I left Christianity (I spent almost 40 years in the church), it was because something was wrong with me, and that I needed to be more patient with God. She was also very interested in whether or not I had ever "received the Spirit".

These types of stances (and really, most in this thread) are born out of a desire to make the theist more comfortable with their own belief system. Not blaming you results in her either assuming you're right (bad!) or God is denying you the holy spirit (bad!... unless you're a Calvinist), so, of course it's your fault.

I've recently gotten involved in a heavily Baptist group on FaceBook. I can see a lot of this type of stuff creep into their topics, although rather than atheists, they'll talk about anyone who's not Christian enough. It's all about convincing themselves they're right, their beliefs aren't creepy, and the Bible is still 100% literal.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post