Favorite Beers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2015, 02:17 PM
RE: Favorite Beers
(17-08-2015 06:45 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  
(14-08-2015 02:58 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I live in Boston, as the screen name implies. Close enough to Vermont that there's usually some of their really boutique micro-brew stuff floating around my social circle. The Alchemist's Heady Topper is alleged to be the best Double IPA on the planet. I've had it a dozen times. It is DAMN good, but I'm wary of calling ANYTHING the best on the planet - that's a bold claim since who can realistically claim to have had ALL the beers on the planet?

Anyway for really special occasions I love a good Firestone Walker Sucaba - it's a barrel-aged barley wine style ale. So incredibly complex and amazing.

For everyday drinking/refreshment I can always dig:

Troeg's Nugget Nectar
Left Hand Milk Stout
Founders All Day IPA
Jack's Abbey Smoke and Dagger
Narragansett Shandy (made with Del's lemonade - a Rhode Island classic)
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
Guinness - it's the world's most ubiquitous stout for a reason
Ithaca Flower Power IPA
Rogue Dead Guy
Longtrail Double Bag
Anchor Steam
Cigar City Jai Alai IPA

I also brew my own beer, which I generally prefer over just about anything commercially produced, though unfortunately I haven't had as much time for it lately.

You sound like my brother from another mother, only 3000 miles away. I'm a huge fan of most anything Firestone Walker, Sucaba is my favorite of their Walker's Reserve series, it's my "hometown brewery", and I'm a total sucker for their DIPA Double Jack. Just tried Helldorado which was pretty similar to Sucaba too (although they call Blonde Barley Wine, still a pretty deep amber though) Unfortunately I haven't had Heady although I've heard good things. Still on the hunt for Pliny the Younger... some day... I live about 7 hours from the brewery and generally that stuff doesn't make it that far (although sometimes other big name breweries get their hands on a keg like Stone). Other great IPAs I've had so far are Pliny the Elder, Double Citra (Kern River Brewing, about an hour from where I live now), and Simtra (a delicious triple).

I'm also a huge fan of Belgians (like Piraat and Kwak) and strong pumpkin beers, kicked off by a love affair with Pumking. So fucking delicious. Hard to find others that remotely compare.

Anything expensive and sweet I'll drink. Drooling

We should do some East Coast - West Coast trading over the interwebz or something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
19-08-2015, 11:38 AM
Winter: Founder's Breakfast Stout
Spring: Central Waters Brewers Reserve Barleywine Ale
Summer: Brau Brothers Sheep Head Ale
Fall: Schell's Oktoberfest Märzen
Special Releases: Surly Darkness
Session: Full Sail Session Lager
Christmas: St. Bernardus Christmas Ale
[+] 1 user Likes MNTysonFan's post
19-08-2015, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2015 01:43 PM by MustangManda.)
(18-08-2015 02:17 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 06:45 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  You sound like my brother from another mother, only 3000 miles away. I'm a huge fan of most anything Firestone Walker, Sucaba is my favorite of their Walker's Reserve series, it's my "hometown brewery", and I'm a total sucker for their DIPA Double Jack. Just tried Helldorado which was pretty similar to Sucaba too (although they call Blonde Barley Wine, still a pretty deep amber though) Unfortunately I haven't had Heady although I've heard good things. Still on the hunt for Pliny the Younger... some day... I live about 7 hours from the brewery and generally that stuff doesn't make it that far (although sometimes other big name breweries get their hands on a keg like Stone). Other great IPAs I've had so far are Pliny the Elder, Double Citra (Kern River Brewing, about an hour from where I live now), and Simtra (a delicious triple).

I'm also a huge fan of Belgians (like Piraat and Kwak) and strong pumpkin beers, kicked off by a love affair with Pumking. So fucking delicious. Hard to find others that remotely compare.

Anything expensive and sweet I'll drink. Drooling

We should do some East Coast - West Coast trading over the interwebz or something.

I'm down! I'd love to try something representative from Founder's, Bell's, Hill Farmstead or 3 Floyds, nothing they make comes to the West Coast, and they're all pretty revered, so I'm curious. There's some phenomenal beer out of California that I'm pretty sure doesn't make it eastward, so let me know if you're after anything specific. PM might be easiest.

As to address Fodder specifically, the beers I listed as favorites would probably turn off most lighter/lager beer drinkers like yourself, so for you specifically I'd recommend dipping your toes in with either pilsners, hefeweisens, or lighter Belgian Wit styles...
Franziskaner Weissbier
Warsteiner
Sam Adams Noble Pils
Firestone Pivo Pils
Sierra Nevada Nooner Pilsner
Yeungling
Hoegaarden (my personal favorite on this list)
Blue Moon (don't forget the orange, Hoegaarden likes an orange too but not necessary)

If you love the white ales Hoegaarden or Blue Moon I'd recommend further venturing into the wonderful world of ales, start with the blondes. Wink

*edited for misspelling Franziskaner

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
28-08-2015, 07:16 PM
I'm drinking Coney Island Brewing Co's ''Hard Root Beer.'' It's quite yummy. Big Grin

Be true to yourself. Heart
20-09-2015, 10:49 AM
Deidre32, that sounds amazing.
I miss Irish Death from WA state. I like most flavorful beers depending on the mood I'm in.
Coors light with clamato lime when I'm broke.
Irish Death whenever possible.
Pintail copper ail was a fave, haven't seen it for quite some time.
Ruination double IPA (if i'm ok with the wife not kissing, or coming near, me for the remainder of the night)
Grolsch
Stella
I found a good dark lager the other day, forgot the brand already.
Oh and grants pub mandarin hefeweizen.

The more we know, the more ignorant we become in the absolute sense, for it is only through enlightenment that we become conscious of our limitations. Precisely one of the most gratifying results of intellectual evolution is the continuous opening up of new and greater prospects.
Nikola Tesla
20-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Didn't we already have a beer thread? Here's one of several. I don't much like beer no morez. Like Thinkerbelle says, my favorite beer is vodka. Currently Russian Standard.

[Image: Russian-Standard-Platinum-Vodka2-lg.jpg]

...in the big bottle. Big Grin

(13-08-2015 06:53 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 06:17 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  ... Bud Light, Miller Lite, and lately even Keystone Light...

Sweet Noodly Appendage, brother, but you need some help.

QFT. Bud products are OK for cooking or putting out the cat on fire, perhaps.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
21-09-2015, 07:06 AM
(20-09-2015 06:00 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Didn't we already have a beer thread? Here's one of several. I don't much like beer no morez. Like Thinkerbelle says, my favorite beer is vodka. Currently Russian Standard.

[Image: Russian-Standard-Platinum-Vodka2-lg.jpg]

...in the big bottle. Big Grin

(13-08-2015 06:53 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Sweet Noodly Appendage, brother, but you need some help.

QFT. Bud products are OK for cooking or putting out the cat on fire, perhaps.

Yup.. I'll go vodka over beer any day...

Stolychnaya, Tito's, or GG straight up....

Burnetts for mixed drinks.... (not the goofy kiddie flavored shit, either... I want vodka flavored vodka)..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
21-09-2015, 07:25 AM
(21-09-2015 07:06 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Burnetts for mixed drinks....

Eeew... I use the Russian Standard for bloody marys, that way if they're not on the job with sufficent alacrity, I don't have to switch. Also, I don't drink that much no morez. Big Grin

living word
21-09-2015, 07:30 AM
Have someone do a blind taste test on you with Burnetts and whatever else you like in a mixed drink.

You will NOT be able to pick it out.

It's the ONLY good cheap vodka I know of..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
21-09-2015, 07:39 AM
(21-09-2015 07:30 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It's the ONLY good cheap vodka I know of..

I'll take your word on that; my experience is limited to their favored varieties and I really don't have the motivation to verify your hypothesis. I'm not wealthy but I have no occasion to buy cheap vodka. Undecided

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post