Favorite Bible Story Anyone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2014, 02:04 PM
RE: Favorite Bible Story Anyone?
For pure fantasy, gotta go with Noah. Well , it's all pure fantasy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2014, 02:09 PM
(10-08-2014 01:27 PM)morondog Wrote:  Job. Man had some pertinent questions which the deity swept under the rug with a bunch of non-answers. Pretty sure that makes uncomfortable reading for most Christians.

Understatement of the year! In Suday class I remember them teaching us this story as if it's suppose to comfort the suffering, and for a lot of people, it somehow does! I've heard Christians talk about how this story reminds them that God's got their back and stuff because of that story's "happy ending". They say that it teaches us "who are we to question the almighty Lord? We can't possibly comprehend his bigger motives and perfect will and you don't deserve an answer from him".

It's like they just forgot that the story actually says the reason Job suffered was only because God made a bet with Satan on Job's fate.

An omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, and "perfect" creator of all made a bet, with the devil, over this innocent man's loyalty to him. This bet resulted in the deaths of Job's children, hundreds of servants, and thousands of animals. This bet only served to prove what God already knew. He knew he would win the bet, and wouldn't Satan know he knew? In this story God not only made a pact with the devil but might have even been successfully remote by the devil. In the end, even though job remained loyal, Lucy might've just won that round. And no one ever took this info into account when God scolded Job for asking "why?"

Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence.

-Richard Dawkins
[+] 3 users Like A Female Free of Faith's post
10-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Jonah and the whale.

It was at this point, hearing the story at the ripe age of about 8, that the light dawned and I said, "WTF???" Good ol' Jonah set me free!

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
10-08-2014, 04:44 PM
(10-08-2014 04:39 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Jonah and the whale.

It was at this point, hearing the story at the ripe age of about 8, that the light dawned and I said, "WTF???" Good ol' Jonah set me free!

X' D Was...Wasn't it a big fish?

Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence.

-Richard Dawkins
10-08-2014, 04:47 PM
(10-08-2014 04:44 PM)A Female Free of Faith Wrote:  
(10-08-2014 04:39 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Jonah and the whale.

X' D Was...Wasn't it a big fish?

*Technically* I think it was a big fish. But in the children's books of the time, it was a whale. [The ripe age of 8 was a loooooong time ago.]

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
10-08-2014, 04:58 PM
I like the bits with the hookers.

Thumbsup

10-08-2014, 05:10 PM
I like the part where the pickle sings about his hair brush. Silly pickle, you done got no hair. Smile
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
10-08-2014, 05:24 PM
I like the one where the man stoned a woman so hard that blood from her face flew onto his.

Wait that is the wrong book.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
10-08-2014, 05:52 PM
(10-08-2014 04:58 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I like the bits with the hookers.

Thumbsup

You must sure like a lot of it then

-Richard Dawkins
[+] 1 user Likes A Female Free of Faith's post
10-08-2014, 07:05 PM
The Tower of Babel.
I'm sure you know it's the explanation for the diversity of language. But I like it because god is to fucking stupid to realize that it's impossible, given the state of technology, to build a tower into "heaven." The damn thing would collapse on it own you "omnipotent" moron. It makes me wonder why he didn't bother to stop the space program. Perhaps he moved from the clouds to space?
He's probably hiding behind the moon poking his head out once and a while with a chuckle.