Favorite Bible Verses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Favorite Bible Verses
I go to church a few Sundays a month. I do so for social reasons and because my wife is a believer. Plus we go out for breakfast afterwards, which is nice.

The minister is a nice enough guy and did help me legitimately when I was laid off for 9 months one time.

But...

His fundamentalism is a little off-putting for me. He routinely reads from the old testament and gives examples of Lot offering his daughters to be gang raped, Destruction of Soddom, Abraham killing (or trying to sacrifice his son) as examples of God's love and devotion to God.

Then he gave a blistering sermon against the Godless proponents of science and evolution.

It was at that moment that solidified myself from agnostic deist to Atheist, or at least Pantheist.

What is the time that you realized you were no longer a believer.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2011, 08:01 PM
RE: Favorite Bible Verses
For me it was a drawn out process. It was a matter of eliminating beliefs, ideas, dogmas, preachers, and religions until there was nothing left to eliminate.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
11-03-2011, 10:21 PM
When religion was introduced to me (Baptist). Just from talking about Christianity it was completely apparent that not much thought was put into answers for my religious family. I was born with needs that were not met and those were more important than this apparent religious void I was supposed to have.

I had already read fairy tales from Greek and Roman mythologies so I didn't feel that impressed by Christian ones. My opinion as a kid was that religion did not hold any of the answers I needed in my life. My opinion is still the same.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
11-03-2011, 10:48 PM
I never had a eureka moment or anything like that. My parents sent me to Sunday school and confirmation classes and all of that crap. When it came time for my confirmation, I said, "no thanks", and everyone was fine with that. Not sure I was totally atheist at that time.

Over time I've just come to realize that I don't have blind faith. I didn't need any specific evidence to point me towards non-belief. I just don't believe. The concept actually seems foreign to me now, I really don't get it.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
13-03-2011, 02:06 AM

I probably lost faith after hearing too many fire and brimstone stories in the Old Testament.

But, decades later, I realize that is exactly what most people need to hear to put the fear of God in them, which is the only thing keeping them in line. I honestly think that if everyone were atheist, crime would get so out of control it would be anarchy.

These days, CSI and Big Brother are picking up some of the slack, the slack left by the disappearing (vengeful) god. However, anyone can get away with any crime, as long as they wear a mask and use a stolen car. Until CSI becomes omnipotent, I think we better keep scaring the public with fire and brimstone.
Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2011, 02:29 AM
@Jesus: I can't agree with that at all. Tyranny has been a faux pas for a while. Those with the belief that this is their only life tend to hold it in higher regard, than those who think this is just a transitional period. This is a lot better way of handling things than prohibition. Prohibition and tyranny cause all sorts of violence and other issues. If you want people to be of better temper suggest it's more natural of them. Catholicism makes sure that all followers are convinced humans are scum.

Remember that the reason for all the crime dramas is that people love crime dramas. Not because crime is just that out of control. TV is always a bad indicator of needs because everything on it is built to fulfill the needs of the company owning the station. They show things people will watch or they don't get money through marketing.

As for people becoming more violent, that's very much not the case, we just get more news about the ones who are now. Here's a link to an article discussing some things we complain about getting worse that in plenty of ways really aren't.
http://www.cracked.com/article_18983_5-c...-b.s..html

Cracked.com has a lot of very interesting satirical stories. It's not exactly a scientific reference but it's a good alternate opinion to what's being presented.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
13-03-2011, 11:11 AM

(13-03-2011 02:06 AM)JesusTheHumanist Wrote:  (snip) But, decades later, I realize that is exactly what most people need to hear to put the fear of God in them, which is the only thing keeping them in line. I honestly think that if everyone were atheist, crime would get so out of control it would be anarchy.(snip)

I am going to completely disagree with you, and flat out tell you that your statement is offensive. You just said that Atheists have less morals than Christians (or any other theist).

You implied that our morals and our rules come from the Bible. That is a false implication for several reasons.

First, it ignores the fact that non-christian societies (think Russia, India, the Norse, ALL OF ASIA) all have moral and value based systems of living.

Second, your implication glosses over several key points of religious sanctioned immorality in the Bible. Moses slaughtered thousands just pages after the words "Thou shalt not kill". There are rules in the Bible on how to treat your slaves.(Leviticus and Exodous).

God called Lot "righteous" after he offered up his wife for a good ol' fashioned gang bang. He ordered Abraham to sacrifice his son (read: murder) to test his loyalty.

As an atheist, I understand that our morals and laws REALLY change with the times, and that they are borne not out of religion (it's really the other way around, religious views reflect the morality of the times), but out of mankind's shared understandings and need to live together.

No one on this board, yourself included requires God to be "a moral person". You act the way that you do because of societal conventions and group-imposed "norms" that set social restrictions on what you should and should not do. When we get serious about one of these social restrictions, we put it on paper, pass a vote or two and call it a "law".

Please think before you make another comment that offensive.

Oh, and Anarchy is derived from the Greek phrase "without rulers". To have Anarchy, we would have to lose the government, not "God".
Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2011, 11:33 AM
I had no real deconversion, I was about 10 when I saw that Christianity was a fairy tale, and then as I grew older I became more able to articulate that notion.

@Jesus, If what you're saying is true, then there should be more atheists in prison (accounting for general population of course) than there is Christians? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbef07aQtB8 <----Video is sourced if you want to verify it.
14-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Once I heard a war veteran say:
"I can't believe in a god who allows children to have cancer!"
That one sentence started it all... (I was 23)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.