Speed Racer
Yu Yu Hakusho
Dragon Ball Z
Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law
Sealab 2021.
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2011, 07:56 AM

RE: Favorite Cartoons
I dislike the name cartoons, oddly not because of the normal irrational elitist urge (i know im better than everyone anyway ;p), but because it limits animation by the nature of the term. A bit like how comics had to stop being called comics in order to be taken seriously, in part because the very name 'comics' limited them via preconcieved notions to comedic content in the minds of most consumers. Likewise i think that in light of the potential for more serious and evocative works i'd rather see video'games' and 'cartoons' ditch the implication of childishness in the names.

That said:

Bakemonogatari - seriously see this. Eva held #1 on my list for a solid decade and nearly a half until this launched last year.
Neon genesis evangelion
Invader zim
The oblongs
Excell saga
AIR - Shed some manly tears for that ending
Kanon - Shed some moar
Clannad - And moar
The melancholy of haruhi suzumiya - Just the first season. Artistic expression is all well and good but endless eight was....

There is a lot of comedy there, but the real greats are all quite serious and emotional or thoughtful works. Seriously, evangellion is famous for provoking introspection, Bakemonogatari is a dip into the disturbingly other and the sureal (with added impact for us in the west because any familiarty to the content is based on asian myth archetypes). On the other hand the big three by key visual (kanon, AIR and clannad) could be used as a test for sociopathy, if you shed no tears you may have a disorder stopping you from feeling for other humans.
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2011, 10:51 AM
RE: Favorite Cartoons
Mine are more obscure :
Swat Kats
Pirates of dark water
Johny Quest
Galaxy Rangers

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply