Favorite Classic, Classic Sci-Fi Movies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2016, 10:37 AM
RE: Favorite Classic, Classic Sci-Fi Movies
(01-09-2016 05:45 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Not a real big fan of pre-60's Sci Fi.....

Some of the stuff really bugged me....

For instance -- the "gravity boots" they always seem to wear in space -- with magnets to glue the "space traveler" to the floor.....

Why???

And why did they only walk on one surface? It would be equally tiring to stick and unstick magnets strong enough to hold you on the "overhead" as it would the "floor"...

And why did every odd event or creature come accompanied by the sound of a theremin?????

My bold.

Um, if you needed "gravity boots" there would be no real overhead to need extra power to hold you against the non-existent gravity!

My design would have electromagnets in the soles only and a pressure switch in the heel - lift the heel and the magnetic switch off.

But, who would build spaceships from steel, even only the floors? Unless you only built them in space from ferrous asteroids . . .

Better just to assume, as is allowed in sci-fi, that artificial gravity is so common it requires no mention - until it fails during the battle of course!

One has to suspend one's adherence to known science for most of these stories to work.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2016, 11:16 AM
Does Mars Attacks count as sci-fi?

'Murican Canadian
01-09-2016, 11:43 AM
(01-09-2016 11:16 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Does Mars Attacks count as sci-fi?

I would say it's both sci-fi and comedy, and I liked it a lot. However, it probably isn't classic sci-fi. I think the thread is supposed to be about older, pre-modern sci-fi movies, like black and white stuff from the 50s and that sort of thing.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
01-09-2016, 11:56 AM
If we are drifting into comedy now I reckon "Space Balls" was hilarious.

So was "Flash Gordon", though was never sure if it was supposed to be a comedy!

[+] 2 users Like Gloucester's post
01-09-2016, 12:06 PM
I like Them better than some.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2016, 01:26 PM
(01-09-2016 12:06 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I like Them better than some.

Them what, or whom?

Huh

01-09-2016, 01:37 PM
Favorite Classic, Classic Sci-Fi Movies
[Image: 5078d0797bd2d072da26f22f5381b936.jpg]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
[+] 2 users Like jabeady's post
01-09-2016, 08:18 PM
(01-09-2016 10:37 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  But, who would build spaceships from steel, even only the floors? Unless you only built them in space from ferrous asteroids . . .

Better just to assume, as is allowed in sci-fi, that artificial gravity is so common it requires no mention - until it fails during the battle of course!

One has to suspend one's adherence to known science for most of these stories to work.

A big part of the reason I love The Forbidden Planet is that it actually put effort into respecting physics. When the ship emerges from its unspecified form of FTL drive, early in the film, the ship's navigator tells the captain the fraction of C at which they are traveling, and even though the ship clearly has some form of artificial gravity, the ship's crew have to get into special stasis fields (which strongly resemble the later transporter pads in Star Trek) that nullify the huge g-forces while the ship decelerates toward the planet.

Sadly, Trek and other films/shows seem to just use "techno-magic" to sideskirt most of the physics issues-- for instance, you never know how fast the Enterprise is going unless it's at a stated warp speed; the captain simply says "half impulse", which is of course an acceleration, not a speed, and as was just pointed out, the ship's artificial gravity nullifies all accelerations unless the ship is struck by something. Undecided

One of my favorite things about Babylon 5, at least in the early years, was that the human-built ships actually had to deal with physics. Ships had to accelerate to change directions; simply pivoting did nothing but cause you to continue flying in the original direction while pointed in another (this was a combat tactic), and the fighters used asymmetric thrust from the main engines, arranged in an x-pattern, to steer, as demonstrated here:

The fighter pilots stood up, rather than sat down, in the front of their ships so the g-forces would act laterally across their body:

[Image: 217_278.jpg]

Even cooler, to me, was the fact that even though several alien races had artificial gravity, the earth forces did not, requiring their ships to spin the habitable section in order to create artificial gravity by centripetal force:

J. Michael Straczynski, the creator of the series and designer of most of the ships, largely restored my faith in the "old school" sci-fi.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
01-09-2016, 11:07 PM
Also, I like the fact that they wore pressure suits in the cockpit. I realize that it's generally for budget reasons, but it always drives me batty when sci-fi series have people flying around in space, in ships that routinely shoot at one another, and no one is wearing a pressure suit in case the hull is breached. It's insane!

One of my favorite sci-fi novels, Sassinak by Elizabeth Moon and Anne McCaffrey, has the captain in pressurized combat armor equivalent to that worn by their version of Space Marines, since the ships are occasionally boarded and are routinely hulled by the powerful weapons. Shown here with the helmet in the open position:

[Image: 51Nggs4nGPL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
02-09-2016, 03:52 AM
(01-09-2016 11:07 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Also, I like the fact that they wore pressure suits in the cockpit. I realize that it's generally for budget reasons, but it always drives me batty when sci-fi series have people flying around in space, in ships that routinely shoot at one another, and no one is wearing a pressure suit in case the hull is breached. It's insane!

One of my favorite sci-fi novels, Sassinak by Elizabeth Moon and Anne McCaffrey, has the captain in pressurized combat armor equivalent to that worn by their version of Space Marines, since the ships are occasionally boarded and are routinely hulled by the powerful weapons. Shown here with the helmet in the open position:

[Image: 51Nggs4nGPL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]
Thumbsup for the McCaffrey-Moon books!

Come to that almost everything by those two.

Even most of the "magic" in McCarrfrey's Perm series has a possible scientific basis. Just somewhat more advanced than ours. Only the gift from aliens of bring able to instill inteligence in animals really lets it down, but I can forgive that.

[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post