Favorite Classic, Classic Sci-Fi Movies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2016, 04:27 AM
RE: Favorite Classic, Classic Sci-Fi Movies
(01-09-2016 01:26 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 12:06 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I like Them better than some.

Them what, or whom?

Huh

[Image: them-movie-poster-1400x1095.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
02-09-2016, 05:22 AM
(02-09-2016 04:27 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 01:26 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  Them what, or whom?

Huh

[Image: them-movie-poster-1400x1095.jpg]
Oh, Them!

Smile

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
02-09-2016, 05:24 AM
(02-09-2016 05:22 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(02-09-2016 04:27 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  [Image: them-movie-poster-1400x1095.jpg]
Oh, Them!

Smile

Yeah, the movie that made me piss myself when I was five. Sad
02-09-2016, 05:40 AM
(02-09-2016 05:24 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(02-09-2016 05:22 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Oh, Them!

Smile

Yeah, the movie that made me piss myself when I was five. Sad
I was ten when I saw my first sci-fi movie, "War of the Worlds", can't remember my reaction.

That has to count as a classic as well, surely?

Got a copy of one of the first sci-fi books I ever read, "Kemlo and the Star Men", first published in 1955. Written in surprising adult style, in terms of vocabulary, for a kids' book of that time.

I am of the 1944 vintage.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
02-09-2016, 06:07 AM
(02-09-2016 05:40 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(02-09-2016 05:24 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Yeah, the movie that made me piss myself when I was five. Sad
I was ten when I saw my first sci-fi movie, "War of the Worlds", can't remember my reaction.

That has to count as a classic as well, surely?

Got a copy of one of the first sci-fi books I ever read, "Kemlo and the Star Men", first published in 1955. Written in surprising adult style, in terms of vocabulary, for a kids' book of that time.

I am of the 1944 vintage.

WotW definitely counts as a classic, if you don't ask the Wells fans, that is.

My first scifi book was "Bullard of the Space Patrol", anthology of short stories. I was immediately addicted. I had to look up "science fiction" so I could ask the librarians about it. Turned out there was a whole section in the town library. And some guy name Heinlein was well represented. Bowing
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
19-06-2017, 04:48 PM
[Image: tumblr_ldjcvy6hNX1qe0eclo1_r3_500.gif]

May be time for a re run on this. My first positively received classical music experience.

You have to be odd to be #1.
19-06-2017, 04:54 PM
(01-09-2016 08:18 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 10:37 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  But, who would build spaceships from steel, even only the floors? Unless you only built them in space from ferrous asteroids . . .

Better just to assume, as is allowed in sci-fi, that artificial gravity is so common it requires no mention - until it fails during the battle of course!

One has to suspend one's adherence to known science for most of these stories to work.

A big part of the reason I love The Forbidden Planet is that it actually put effort into respecting physics. When the ship emerges from its unspecified form of FTL drive, early in the film, the ship's navigator tells the captain the fraction of C at which they are traveling, and even though the ship clearly has some form of artificial gravity, the ship's crew have to get into special stasis fields (which strongly resemble the later transporter pads in Star Trek) that nullify the huge g-forces while the ship decelerates toward the planet.

Sadly, Trek and other films/shows seem to just use "techno-magic" to sideskirt most of the physics issues-- for instance, you never know how fast the Enterprise is going unless it's at a stated warp speed; the captain simply says "half impulse", which is of course an acceleration, not a speed, and as was just pointed out, the ship's artificial gravity nullifies all accelerations unless the ship is struck by something. Undecided

One of my favorite things about Babylon 5, at least in the early years, was that the human-built ships actually had to deal with physics. Ships had to accelerate to change directions; simply pivoting did nothing but cause you to continue flying in the original direction while pointed in another (this was a combat tactic), and the fighters used asymmetric thrust from the main engines, arranged in an x-pattern, to steer, as demonstrated here:

The fighter pilots stood up, rather than sat down, in the front of their ships so the g-forces would act laterally across their body:

[Image: 217_278.jpg]

Even cooler, to me, was the fact that even though several alien races had artificial gravity, the earth forces did not, requiring their ships to spin the habitable section in order to create artificial gravity by centripetal force:

J. Michael Straczynski, the creator of the series and designer of most of the ships, largely restored my faith in the "old school" sci-fi.

Forbidden Planet is Shakespeare's The Tempest set in outer space.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
20-06-2017, 02:44 AM
Does the original Invisible Man count? The special effects for the time were amazing!

"Whatever you say, Stone Cold Steve Austin." - Rick
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post