Favorite Classic Turn Based RPGs?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2013, 03:32 AM
Favorite Classic Turn Based RPGs?
I was a big nerdy fan of turn-based RPGs for a long time, but over the past decade they have nearly died. At least I haven't been interested in any made in a long time. This means if I want to play one, I am forced to play something old. Sad With that out of the way, I do love a lot of the classics. Here are some of my favorites.

Final Fantasy I - Final Fantasy IX. Okay, VIII was so-so. Really loved V, VI, VII, and IX
[Image: FFVIIbattlexample.jpg]
How can you not?

Suikoden I, II, and III
[Image: Suikoden_screen01.jpg]
Might replay this one sooner rather than later.

Any of the OLD Dragon Warriors, also known as Dragon Quest.
[Image: Dragon_warrior_3_battle_screen.gif]
Fuck Yeah! Check out those graphics.

Legend of Legaia
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWqQH-5JK4mpiUxVXoLvm...BhomLNtlIE]
The first RPG I ever played that had voice acting. I could HEAR the heros. This was mind-blowing to me, and a good game, despite the gay tree thing.

Grandia
[Image: grandia_screen015.jpg]
Every sequel was terrible, but the original was badass.

Unfortunately for me they don't make games like this anymore, which makes me sad. Anyhow, what's some of your favs?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
25-11-2013, 07:15 AM
RE: Favorite Classic Turn Based RPGs?
FFVII for sure, and IX was fantastic as well. I still enjoy VIII but it does seem like a bastard child.

Everything has gone the way of MMORPG, whether for better or worse. I think it's just a result of people wanting immediate action, it's more realistic than a turn based game, when you think about it. Of course, when you're talking about a fantasy game reality goes completely out the window anyway, so maybe it's just a matter of attention spans getting shorter and shorter.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
[+] 1 user Likes Anudist's post
25-11-2013, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2013 10:22 AM by Can_of_Beans.)
(25-11-2013 07:15 AM)Anudist Wrote:  Everything has gone the way of MMORPG, whether for better or worse. I think it's just a result of people wanting immediate action, it's more realistic than a turn based game, when you think about it. Of course, when you're talking about a fantasy game reality goes completely out the window anyway, so maybe it's just a matter of attention spans getting shorter and shorter.

I hate MMORPGs. I'm an anti-social gamer and an introvert who likes to use video games as a way to recover from spending time with people - not as another social activity.

It's also my opinion that stories aren't as good with MMORPGs as with RPGs. Morrowind might be my favorite game of all time (even though it's not turn based).

For turn based games, it's hard to get more old school than Rogue (and variants like Umoria, Angband, Zangband, etc.). Capital "D" still inspires fear (for those not familiar with the game, that's the character for Ancient Dragons). Smile

I also have fond memories of Battletech: Crescent Hawk's Inception

[Image: 581539_22466_front.jpg]

and Forgotten Realms games like Curse of the Azure Bonds

[Image: 109108632800mo31.gif]

There is no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else.
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
25-11-2013, 01:54 PM
I am an RPG fan since 6 yrs old. My first ever game completion was FF2 (US) on SNES. FF3, I beat at 7, and it was the first game I ever beat before my big brother (he is 10 yrs older than me).

The first RPG I ever played was Arcana for SNES.

And GUYS, why are you ignoring FFX? FFX was the last masterpiece FF, it has been downhill since then.

Turn Based RPGS:
Top 10 : Exclamation Top 5 RPG : Idea Top 3 : Heart Favorite
Exclamation Idea Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow [Gameboy]
Exclamation Final Fantasy 2 (US) [SNES]
Exclamation Idea Final Fantasy 3 (US) [SNES]
Final Fantasy 7 [PS]
Final Fantasy 9 [PS]
Exclamation Idea Heart Final Fantasy 10 [PS2]
Arcana [SNES]
Dragon Warrior 1 [NES]
Exclamation Dragon Quest 8 (journey of the cursed King) [PS2]
Final Fantasy 10-2 [PS2](can't think of any more Turn Based ones, but this one was fun)

It's hard for me to choose between FF3, and FF10, But I'll choose FF10 because I don't think I've ever enjoyed a game as much as I did that one.
25-11-2013, 01:56 PM
I also hate MMORPGs, but mostly because I love them so much. The game play is addictive, the story is usually crap, and THEY HAVE NO ENDING (in my experience), so they are just a huge waste of time.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
25-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Pfft. Nintendo fanboys, all of you. Shining Force was the greatest. Also Phantasy Star (especially IV).

Wait, why am I citing Sega games? Clearly Fallout was the best.

I dunno, in my mind 'classic' is pre-3D. Maaaybe stretch that to include PS, Saturn, N64 era (up to ~ 2000 - PC RPGs were generally 2D 'till then as well).

Of course, I did mostly play on PC anyway, so... Wizardry 6/7, anyone? But other than strategy games turn-based was sort of passe by late 90s when I would've really started playing much of anything.

... this is my signature!
25-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Wait, shit, I forgot about Jagged Alliance 2.

Jagged Alliance 2, you guys!

I mean, that's not even forgiveable. My uncle did voicework on that game. How could I forget it even if it weren't a masterpiece?

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
25-11-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure I consider it a RPG, but as far as turn based games go, I thoroughly enjoyed playing X-Com UFO Defense too.

[Image: chron_xcom.jpg]

@cjlr: Who are you calling a Nintendo fanboy? If you didn't start playing PC games until the late 90s, then it's probably a safe guess that I was playing Zork on the Commodore 64 before you were born. Tongue

There is no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else.
25-11-2013, 02:49 PM
(25-11-2013 01:54 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I am an RPG fan since 6 yrs old. My first ever game completion was FF2 (US) on SNES. FF3, I beat at 7, and it was the first game I ever beat before my big brother (he is 10 yrs older than me).

The first RPG I ever played was Arcana for SNES.

And GUYS, why are you ignoring FFX? FFX was the last masterpiece FF, it has been downhill since then.

Turn Based RPGS:
Top 10 : Exclamation Top 5 RPG : Idea Top 3 : Heart Favorite
Exclamation Idea Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow [Gameboy]
Exclamation Final Fantasy 2 (US) [SNES]
Exclamation Idea Final Fantasy 3 (US) [SNES]
Final Fantasy 7 [PS]
Final Fantasy 9 [PS]
Exclamation Idea Heart Final Fantasy 10 [PS2]
Arcana [SNES]
Dragon Warrior 1 [NES]
Exclamation Dragon Quest 8 (journey of the cursed King) [PS2]
Final Fantasy 10-2 [PS2](can't think of any more Turn Based ones, but this one was fun)

It's hard for me to choose between FF3, and FF10, But I'll choose FF10 because I don't think I've ever enjoyed a game as much as I did that one.

FFX? FFX!? Masterpeice!!!? Now I want to fight you. You're one of those people that encouraged them. Weeping

FFX was the last FF I played all the way through. To me this signifies the end of good turn-based RPGs. Tidus was a whiny little bitch, the plot is beyond idiotic, the other stupid characters pray, did I mention the characters were dumb? The final boss, who was essentially a seed or a marble was about the dumbest thing I've ever seen, there was not explorable world map to adventure on, I didn't like the skill system.

I tried to give X-2 a go, hoping they had realized the error of their ways and started making good games again. After all, VIII wasn't that great, but IX was one of my favorites. Well, we all know what happened with X-2 don't we?

After that I quit playing FF. I still have the reputation as someone who loves FF so I keep getting the newer ones as gifts. I played an hour of one once.

edit: OMG, I just realized you actually LIKED X-2. Clearly there is no reasoning with you. No
I dunno how someone can like so many good games and still like this, but it makes me die a little inside.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
25-11-2013, 03:01 PM
(25-11-2013 02:47 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  @cjlr: Who are you calling a Nintendo fanboy? If you didn't start playing PC games until the late 90s, then it's probably a safe guess that I was playing Zork on the Commodore 64 before you were born. Tongue

Obviously, DL and adrianime.

You probably were; I was learning how to DOS as soon as I knew how to read, but even that had to wait until I was about 5 years old!

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post