Favorite Classic Turn Based RPGs?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2013, 03:19 PM
RE: Favorite Classic Turn Based RPGs?
(25-11-2013 02:49 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  FFX? FFX!? Masterpeice!!!? Now I want to fight you. You're one of those people that encouraged them. Weeping

FFX was the last FF I played all the way through. To me this signifies the end of good turn-based RPGs. Tidus was a whiny little bitch, the plot is beyond idiotic, the other stupid characters pray, did I mention the characters were dumb? The final boss, who was essentially a seed or a marble was about the dumbest thing I've ever seen, there was not explorable world map to adventure on, I didn't like the skill system.

I tried to give X-2 a go, hoping they had realized the error of their ways and started making good games again. After all, VIII wasn't that great, but IX was one of my favorites. Well, we all know what happened with X-2 don't we?

After that I quit playing FF. I still have the reputation as someone who loves FF so I keep getting the newer ones as gifts. I played an hour of one once.

edit: OMG, I just realized you actually LIKED X-2. Clearly there is no reasoning with you. No
I dunno how someone can like so many good games and still like this, but it makes me die a little inside.

Dude, you don't know what you are saying! Haha. Honeslty I loved Tidus during my first playthrough in 9th grade or so, and I didn't even know some people found him annoying until recently. The thing is, I'm a huge shounen anime fan, and I love characters like Tidus (many shounen anime leads behave like him).

The sphere grid was awesome, the weapon upgrading system was addictive once you got into it, and the Characters were amazing!
Auron - pimp daddy obi wan kinobi type
Tidus - Curious, upbeat/cheerful, super talented youth with a deep and dramatic backstory.
Luna - Sex appeal emo spell caster
Yuna - the type of girl I was in love with in High School and Middle School..super sweet, pure, and cute.
Wakka - Funny big bro type
Rikku - Cute ninja chick
Khimari - ..OK I didn't really like Khimari, but he had some funny parental moments.

Were there more characters? Can't remember. And the story/plot was epic. It was a total teardown of the world's fake religion that was erected thousands of years ago on a lie. The entire game is battling the religion in the world, I freaking loved it.

Blitzball - best mini game ever

Aeons were so freaking awesome, being able to control them for the first time ever.

FFX left me wanting NOTHING more during my playthroughs!
FFX-2 was not as good, but it actually had an interesting story, and the battle system was fun.

Dude I bought the FFX and FFX-2 HD remaster for PS3. Get over here and play it (when it is shipped in a few months). You need to learn how great this game is.

Haha, sorry for the long response, but you went out of your way to diss one of my fave games, so I had to defend it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2013, 03:37 PM
(25-11-2013 03:01 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(25-11-2013 02:47 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  @cjlr: Who are you calling a Nintendo fanboy? If you didn't start playing PC games until the late 90s, then it's probably a safe guess that I was playing Zork on the Commodore 64 before you were born. Tongue

Obviously, DL and adrianime.

You probably were; I was learning how to DOS as soon as I knew how to read, but even that had to wait until I was about 5 years old!

I dunno why obviously me, but I enjoyed Zork. If were going vintage C64 gaming though...
[Image: 474582-the-crack-of-doom-commodore-64-sc...creens.png]
Crack of Doom! It was my first exposure to The Lord of the Rings Series. When my uncle upgraded to a new computer we got his hand-me-down Commodore 64 complete with games and dot-matrix spool printer.

I owned a NES, which was awesome. The next Nintendo system I owned was a WII, which obviously wasn't used for serious gaming. I did however buy a super-nintendo later in life, well after it has become antiquated, but I loved plenty of games for it as well.

25-11-2013, 03:51 PM
FFX was not a masterpiece, Auron was the only thing that carried that game as a fantastic character. They weren't all bad but stiff Yuna/Tidus combined with the rest dragged it down. I gave the game a lot of ribbing at the time, but it does stand up as at least better as a overall package than the future FF titles to date.

FX-2 though, combat wise was great despite it's loonyness. As for other more modern good Turn based RPGs, Lost Odyssey is a well done game.

Like many "jrpg" fans I love many of the already listed... but some other greats in series form I can say I played were:

Breath of Fire series, at least up until Dragon Quarter, I never played that.
Wild Arms... oddly both of those had interesting out of combat puzzles with character abilities I enjoy added in.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
You forgot the Breath of Fires and the Lufias. Two great turn based RPG series.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
(25-11-2013 03:19 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(25-11-2013 02:49 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  FFX? FFX!? Masterpeice!!!? Now I want to fight you. You're one of those people that encouraged them. Weeping

FFX was the last FF I played all the way through. To me this signifies the end of good turn-based RPGs. Tidus was a whiny little bitch, the plot is beyond idiotic, the other stupid characters pray, did I mention the characters were dumb? The final boss, who was essentially a seed or a marble was about the dumbest thing I've ever seen, there was not explorable world map to adventure on, I didn't like the skill system.

I tried to give X-2 a go, hoping they had realized the error of their ways and started making good games again. After all, VIII wasn't that great, but IX was one of my favorites. Well, we all know what happened with X-2 don't we?

After that I quit playing FF. I still have the reputation as someone who loves FF so I keep getting the newer ones as gifts. I played an hour of one once.

edit: OMG, I just realized you actually LIKED X-2. Clearly there is no reasoning with you. No
I dunno how someone can like so many good games and still like this, but it makes me die a little inside.

Dude, you don't know what you are saying! Haha. Honeslty I loved Tidus during my first playthrough in 9th grade or so, and I didn't even know some people found him annoying until recently. The thing is, I'm a huge shounen anime fan, and I love characters like Tidus (many shounen anime leads behave like him).

The sphere grid was awesome, the weapon upgrading system was addictive once you got into it, and the Characters were amazing!
Auron - pimp daddy obi wan kinobi type
Tidus - Curious, upbeat/cheerful, super talented youth with a deep and dramatic backstory.
Luna - Sex appeal emo spell caster
Yuna - the type of girl I was in love with in High School and Middle School..super sweet, pure, and cute.
Wakka - Funny big bro type
Rikku - Cute ninja chick
Khimari - ..OK I didn't really like Khimari, but he had some funny parental moments.

Were there more characters? Can't remember. And the story/plot was epic. It was a total teardown of the world's fake religion that was erected thousands of years ago on a lie. The entire game is battling the religion in the world, I freaking loved it.

Blitzball - best mini game ever

Aeons were so freaking awesome, being able to control them for the first time ever.

FFX left me wanting NOTHING more during my playthroughs!
FFX-2 was not as good, but it actually had an interesting story, and the battle system was fun.

Dude I bought the FFX and FFX-2 HD remaster for PS3. Get over here and play it (when it is shipped in a few months). You need to learn how great this game is.

Haha, sorry for the long response, but you went out of your way to diss one of my fave games, so I had to defend it.

I don't know shit about anime. Really, nothing at all. The most I could say relateable on that is that I loved Speedracer when I was a kid. If they are all like Tidus though, then there is a good reason I don't know anything about it. It's the worst kind of terrible.

Auron was the best character in the game.
Luna was okay. Looked like someone from the Addams Family.
EVERYONE ELSE WAS TERRIBLE!
Tidus was a little bitch
Yuna was a witchdoctor pope with terrible dialogue
Wakka was a mix between a Jersey douchebag, and a surfer douchebag. Annoying as fuck.
Rikku was only okay cause she was hot and slutty. Other than that she was annoying and stupid with terrible dialogue.
Khimaru, well at least he never talked so he wasn't too annoying.

The plot/story was epically terrible. You are an underwater soccer player in the future who goes back in time to play more underwater soccer and fight your Daddy, yet another underwater soccer player, who has been turned into a monster by a seed which is destroying the world. That is a good story to you?

That being said, blitzball, the very unpopular mini-game, I actually enjoyed. The sad thing is, I would rather be playing blitzball than Final Fantasy X. I spent hours playing it just to avoid actually doing the terrible story.

I hate FFX Angry

25-11-2013, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2013 04:36 PM by Adrianime.)
I'm guessing you prefer stoic main characters that might crack a joke or two?

Maybe you didn't like it because you have the story completely wrong?
Tidus is not from the future, even before they figure out what Tidus actually is, they alluded to him being from the past (he wasn't actually from the past either). The whole mystery of the game is figuring out what exactly Tidus is, and it was done pretty well IMO. His dad isn't even the real enemy, the religion of the world is the actual enemy of the game. There is no seed involved with Jecht turning into Sin, there is a very specific and interesting reason that Jecht became Sin. I haven't played through for like 7 years, so I can't remember all the story details. Blitzball is not a key part of the story, but more part of the culture of the game world.
If you didn't grow up loving "shounen anime" like DragonBall, DBZ, or Kenshin, then that type of character might not be very familiar to you. But anime in general isn't "like" anything. Anime is incredibly diverse and has more genres than I could list.
25-11-2013, 04:17 PM
(25-11-2013 03:51 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  FFX was not a masterpiece, Auron was the only thing that carried that game as a fantastic character. They weren't all bad but stiff Yuna/Tidus combined with the rest dragged it down. I gave the game a lot of ribbing at the time, but it does stand up as at least better as a overall package than the future FF titles to date.

FX-2 though, combat wise was great despite it's loonyness. As for other more modern good Turn based RPGs, Lost Odyssey is a well done game.
I think it's impossible to objectively define a masterpiece. To me FFX was pure enjoyment (I've talked to many who agree with me on that). To some it was not a good game, nothing is perfect for everybody. Hell, some people think FF13 is a masterpiece. I can't comprehend where the hell they get that idea from haha. But oh well, to each their own.
25-11-2013, 04:22 PM
(25-11-2013 03:37 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I dunno why obviously me, ...

That was the platform of most of the titles you mentioned?
(or at least the ones I'd call classic, which as I said is pre-3D)

You're correct about FFX, though. Thumbsup

(25-11-2013 03:51 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Auron was the best character in the game.

Jecht (sp?) was the best part of that game. He was hilarious. Auron and Luna were the only party members who weren't blithering idiots, so there's that. Actually Rikku was sometimes competent but then in X-2 she was so dumb it hurt.

... this is my signature!
25-11-2013, 04:31 PM
So, not to change topic, but which turn based RPG do you guys think has the best cast?

Personally, I'd probably go for FF3 (US).
25-11-2013, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2013 04:41 PM by Dark Light.)
(25-11-2013 04:22 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(25-11-2013 03:37 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I dunno why obviously me, ...

That was the platform of most of the titles you mentioned?
(or at least the ones I'd call classic, which as I said is pre-3D)

You're correct about FFX, though. Thumbsup

(25-11-2013 03:51 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Auron was the best character in the game.

Jecht (sp?) was the best part of that game. He was hilarious. Auron and Luna were the only party members who weren't blithering idiots, so there's that. Actually Rikku was sometimes competent but then in X-2 she was so dumb it hurt.

FF VII, VIII, and IX were PS1, Grandia was PS1, Suikoden I and II were PS1 (though I first played Suikoden on the Sega Saturn). I've also played FF VII on PC.

I played all the Dragon Warrior/Quests through PC emulation.

That leaves the rest of the FF series, which I didn't play until they were re-released on one the Playstation or through emulation.

I actually didn't play any of the titles on a Nintendo Tongue