Favorite Comics

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
25-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Favorite Comics
So what are your favorite comic-book events? I know supermanlives is going to come up with lots of the Krypton Man's finest bits for us, but what else do you guys like?

As for myself, I'm partial to Batman, especially The Dark Knight Returns and The Killing Joke, both of which are excellent bits of writing. Then there's Batman: Knightfall, which is Bane's first appearance and remains one of the single coolest story arcs ever in a comic (dude. He ****ing broke Batman).
As for Marvel, I like Iron Man, especially an event from early in the series where Tony was replaced by an android version of himself and had to ally with some of his enemies in order to take his life - and the Iron Man suit - back. It culminated in a frankly epic fight between Tony and the android, with Tony in the original, bulky Iron Man armor against the newer, more powerful version.

So what about you? Doomquest? Civil War? Crisis On Infinite Earths? The Death of Superman (Tongue)?

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2010, 08:45 PM
RE: Favorite Comics
I'm not much of a comic guy, but I do dabble in Graphic Novels if that applies... The standard issue of course is Watchmen, which is easily one of my favorites, but I've also been collecting Stephen King's Dark Tower graphic novels. I haven't had a lot of time to read them what with my final exams coming up but from what I HAVE read, they're pretty good Smile

Find all posts by this user
26-03-2010, 05:55 AM

Hi..
My favorite is Bucky O’Hare. It’s about a rabbit who flies around in his spaceship fighting evil. It’s really cute. I think it’s a bit more popular with the girls and Batman also, It was the first comic I ever bought, and I’ve been a fan ever since.”
Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Two of the most memorable moments from The Killing Joke:

[Image: joke.jpg]

[Image: 14.gif]

- Terry Pratchett
26-03-2010, 12:52 PM

I like the graphic novel movie 'Sin City'.---does that count?
26-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Of course.

Oh, and it's not strictly a comic like the rest of them, but I love the Penny Arcade Fallout arc.

- Terry Pratchett
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
28-03-2010, 09:17 AM

Garfield, Bizenghast and lots of Japanese Manga!!! xD
30-03-2010, 02:31 AM

Dinosaur comics

Yes, I am more of a webcomics man. I also read Dr. McNinja and xkcd, but Dinocomics is my absolute favorite. Check it out, read from the beginning; if you aren't hooked, I'll pray for you.
30-03-2010, 05:12 AM

I am going to make a confession. Smile

Although I absolutely love the story of Superman (heck, my avatar and name have Superman in it), I never grew up READING Superman. I was more of a Batman fan (for DC) and a huge Spiderman and X-Men fan (Marvel).

From the Batman storyline, the one that caught my attention the most was the Death in the Family series, where Tim (Robin) is killed by the Joker. That was the most impactful story I had ever read.

It is only recently that I started buying back issues of Superman to share with my kids. I bought the entire Kingdom Come series, as well as the Justice series (although these are more Justice League stories). The story that interested me about Superman was the Doomsday storyline. Man, all I can say is I have never seen that much carnage from the Man of Steel!

Well, that's me geeking out for 15 minutes. Smile
30-03-2010, 08:44 AM
I haven't read Kingdom Come, Justice or Death in the Family, but The Death of Superman was pretty good. Especially the beginning - best. Sound effect. Ever.

Doomsday punches through a wall. Noise? KRAKKADOOM!

- Terry Pratchett
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post