Favorite Comics

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-12-2011, 01:51 AM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2011 02:02 AM by Erxomai.)
RE: Favorite Comics
(07-12-2011 12:48 AM)gursikh11 Wrote:  
(30-06-2010 01:17 AM)stelamethew Wrote:  Superman is all time favorite superhero in my list. Other is Bucky O`Hare, Dark Horse Presents, Watchmen and XKCD. XKCD is really such a interesting comics to read, I read this more than 10 times.

Superman is awesome comic of all time. I like it too.

While my bot-dar has been activated, I'm happy to discover this gem of a thread and glad it got refreshed. Let's see...where or where to begin?

P.S., it's interesting for this forum n00b to look back at conversations and the friendly (and sometimes not so) banter of folks who haven't seemed to have visited in ages. It ends up feeling a bit like my visit to the Anasazi cliff dwellings in Mesa Verde, CO. It was a bit like intruding upon the "ghosts" of those who had gone before, and then left without explanation. Only their highlights remain behind.

P.P.S., I know, I know...Enough already! Too much mushy sh*t for a Comic Book thread!
(25-03-2010 06:48 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  As for myself, I'm partial to Batman, especially The Dark Knight Returns and The Killing Joke, both of which are excellent bits of writing. Then there's Batman: Knightfall, which is Bane's first appearance and remains one of the single coolest story arcs ever in a comic (dude. He ****ing broke Batman).
As for Marvel, I like Iron Man, especially an event from early in the series where Tony was replaced by an android version of himself and had to ally with some of his enemies in order to take his life - and the Iron Man suit - back. It culminated in a frankly epic fight between Tony and the android, with Tony in the original, bulky Iron Man armor against the newer, more powerful version.

So what about you? Civil War? Crisis On Infinite Earths? The Death of Superman (Tongue)?

It's like this dude is a reincarnation of myself. I could have easily written this post as describing my own faves, only exchanging Iron Man for Spider-man. He was replaced by a cloned version of himself that wasn't a clone, the 1st one was the clone, only, no, they sorted that out and the 2nd one was the clone and he had that sweet looking alien suit picked up on the Beyonder's planet that ended up becoming Venom, one of the best villains of the 90s.

Death of Superman...man, I still get chills when I think about that story arc. And yeah, Bane...might have to change my vote for best 90s villain.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2011, 06:38 AM
Lookie, lookie, what a nice thread...

So my list of comics:

1) B E R S E R K
2) BERSERK
3) Berserk
4) Transmetropolitan
5) Y - the last man
6) Star Wars - Old Galactic Republic Era a.k.a The Sith Era
7) I like all sorts of Marvel comics, like X-men and The Avengers, but my best and the one I read most was the old and original Silver Surfer. Nothing can beat that, uber-powerful flying philosopher...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
08-12-2011, 10:23 AM
(08-12-2011 06:38 AM)Filox Wrote:  Lookie, lookie, what a nice thread...

So my list of comics:

1) B E R S E R K
2) BERSERK
3) Berserk
4) Transmetropolitan
5) Y - the last man
6) Star Wars - Old Galactic Republic Era a.k.a The Sith Era
7) I like all sorts of Marvel comics, like X-men and The Avengers, but my best and the one I read most was the old and original Silver Surfer. Nothing can beat that, uber-powerful flying philosopher...

I loved Y-, but I haven't been into the scene for a few years so I left off about halfway through, I think.

I'm sensing you like Berserk? I'll have to check this out. And who doesn't love Surfin' with the Alien?
*might have to put that on the Shred Thread sometime soon*

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
08-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Yay, comics!!

Lessee...I'm a Wonder Woman freak, but I am not a huge fan of the reboot, or the re-reboot. Eff that noise. George Perez's run is the best incarnation of WW to date, in my opinion, with Gail Simone's as a close second.

My current obsession is with the new Batwoman series. I don't read a lot of superhero comics, but out of the ones I *have* read, this is incredibly well written and the art...holy crap, it's beautiful!!!!

The single issues that I keep up with are American Vampire, Wonder Woman, Batwoman, Birds of Prey, The Dark Knight, Detective Comics, the Victorian Undead issues (although, I don't think anything new as recently been released)...and I can't remember the rest.

Some of my all time favorite comics/graphic novels are Y: The Last Man, The Walking Dead, Chew, Strange Science Fantasy, Fables, Sandman, Flight, Fun Home, Blankets, Persepolis, anything by Charles Burns, and I look forward to getting Best American Comics every year. If you haven't read Chew...do yourself a favor, it's fantastic!!

The webcomics I enjoy on a regular basis (I have several dozen bookmarked, but don't follow them all) are Questionable Content, Wondermark, Girls with Slingshots, Hark! A Vagrant!, Dresden Codak, Scandinavia and the World, and Romantically Apocalyptic. I have Scenes From a Multiverse in my bookmarks to read.

Oh comics...I love you comics....

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
08-12-2011, 11:27 AM
I want to check out the Walking Dead Graphic Novel, but I love the show so much I feel I should wait a bit to make sure the novels don't hold spoilers.

I totally agree that the Perez WW run was it's best...not that I'm into her individual books so much as her role in the JL.

~Izel
08-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Y the last man, was pretty fantastic all the way through. No major faults.
I used to be big into comics, because I've always loved stories and reading. But with getting older my tastes began to take a turn for the darker and I was falling away just as the comics industry was actually taking a dip in the same direction. I didn't notice though so me and comics parted ways. Until I got older and one of my friends showed me Preacher. Fucking A, if you love religious satire and some fucked up shit, then you owe it to yourself to pick up the trades.
Also Powers was a pretty good book, though it ran on too long for my tastes. I like things to eventually end, at least I find certain stories to be more interesting when the ramifications are permanent which can never happen with an ongoing.
I liked the original run of Hellblazer, but it got old fast. Fables was pretty well done, but I was reading it by library trades and for some reason they only had sporadic issues... so that's over.

I didn't actually like the walking dead. I should because zombies are kinda like my thing... Like for reals. But to me it felt too TVish, like everything was dumbed down and vapid. Every character read empty and false to me, and the timeline was too fast. Though it would slow down randomly as well without warning. I never made it through very far. Then the tv show came on and I found it preferable and actually a little deeper than the comic. Now I don't even watch that though as I really detest television.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-12-2011, 12:43 PM
(08-12-2011 11:51 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Now I don't even watch that though as I really detest television.

Freakin' Communist.

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
08-12-2011, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2011 03:23 PM by zaika.)
(08-12-2011 11:27 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I want to check out the Walking Dead Graphic Novel, but I love the show so much I feel I should wait a bit to make sure the novels don't hold spoilers.

I totally agree that the Perez WW run was it's best...not that I'm into her individual books so much as her role in the JL.

You really should check them out, but I think they're jumping around the story some and added new plot lines/twists...and characters. So, maybe it wouldn't be that spoilerific? Plus...if you read the graphic novels, you might not like the show so much...just sayin. Wink I'm kind of lukewarm on the show, m'self.

About the Justice League...I've never read anything from that series. I kinda want to. Can you suggest a good place to start?
(08-12-2011 11:51 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Y the last man, was pretty fantastic all the way through. No major faults.
I used to be big into comics, because I've always loved stories and reading. But with getting older my tastes began to take a turn for the darker and I was falling away just as the comics industry was actually taking a dip in the same direction. I didn't notice though so me and comics parted ways. Until I got older and one of my friends showed me Preacher. Fucking A, if you love religious satire and some fucked up shit, then you owe it to yourself to pick up the trades.
Also Powers was a pretty good book, though it ran on too long for my tastes. I like things to eventually end, at least I find certain stories to be more interesting when the ramifications are permanent which can never happen with an ongoing.
I liked the original run of Hellblazer, but it got old fast. Fables was pretty well done, but I was reading it by library trades and for some reason they only had sporadic issues... so that's over.

I didn't actually like the walking dead. I should because zombies are kinda like my thing... Like for reals. But to me it felt too TVish, like everything was dumbed down and vapid. Every character read empty and false to me, and the timeline was too fast. Though it would slow down randomly as well without warning. I never made it through very far. Then the tv show came on and I found it preferable and actually a little deeper than the comic. Now I don't even watch that though as I really detest television.

Preacher is high on my to-read list! I think it might move to the number one slot...Like you, I prefer darker comics.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
09-12-2011, 02:09 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2011 02:29 AM by Filox.)
You prefer darker comics and none of you ever read BERSERK? The most dark of them all? The One Who Walks Alone? The Black Swordsmen? Alone against the Church, the Midland army, the hordes of demons and the deluded people?

Let me tell you a bit about Berserk. It is the most sold manga in Japan in the history of mangas, made by the famous Kentaro Miura. It dates from 1988 and it is still coming out, I think we have passed half of the whole series. IT IS HUUUGE. It is also extremely complex, well made, has tons of details, the story is fantastic, the fights are all epic. At this moment there are 36 Volumes, every is about 2000-2500 pages long and it is coming out slowly, one issue every 2 weeks, 3 weeks, month, 2 months, it all depends from time to time... So you could say that waiting for the next issue is kinda making me go crazy a bit. One issue is about 20-30 pages long, there are many in one volume.
The story is set in middle ages, Europe, but imaginary, not real. A few kingdoms, the Church and a small group of mercenaries that gain wealth and power thanx to 2 of their commanders; the leader and a commander actually. The story follows the commander and everything that is happening to him, shortly he has a mark of the damned and he attracts demons from another world (dimension) that want to eat him, because he was given to them as a sacrifice, but he is (like Hulk) a bit crazy and when he goes berserk, there are not much demons can do but die in a horrible ways. Oh yeah, he also has no arm, but a small cannon instead and a huge sword no other man can wield. There is the Church and God as well in this story and I love how they have described it. God is only the collection of all bad human emotions, hate, war, lust for power, God is only the bad things, black heart. The Church is all white and light, but they do not understand God (sounds familiar?) so they interpret him completely wrong, and since this is the middle (dark) ages, so is the church, light on the outside, but very dark on the inside. And then HE comes and starts killing everybody with HUGE sword. Somebody once said: "It is not a sword, it is a lump of iron. It is not sharp, completely dull, but the weight of it makes it just go through armor and body." His name is Guts and who ever sees him, thinks of him as a demon, while he is the only one that understands and knows the truth and he is set on correcting it, no matter what other deluded people think. So he is alone against everybody, until he start "collecting" a few others that will help him...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserk_(manga)

If you want torrents, I can provide, if you want to check out the newest issue, translated to English, I can provide that as well. I strongly recommend this to everyone. I specially think that atheists will enjoy the parts about the Church and God here. I will take a wild guess, but to the end of the manga, I am sure that the main character will kill even God.

P.S.
It's Japanese so you have to read it right to left, as all other Japanese stuff. I've been reading this one for so long now, I start every comic book from right to left. The new issues are scanned and translated just a few days after they come out in Japan and Evil Genius provides us with English version. There are USA editions to buy on eBay, but they do not get out as quick as in Japan, they are a few volumes behind. We have a 25 episode series (anime), great, but covers only a small part, with some major characters left out, and now soon there should be a few movies (anime as well) that will cover more of the story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZkJFJacTM

The anime should be viewed with original Japanese audio and English subtitles.
Without exaggerating, this is the best anime and the best manga ever made. Blood, gore, violence and sex, beware.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
09-12-2011, 02:20 AM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2011 12:23 PM by kim.)
I used to love a Jonen Vasquez comic called, I Feel Sick. It was one of his experiments, though and didn't last long.
I also liked, The Wretch. Funny stuff there.
And who didn't love The Tick? SPOON!
Heart But all time favorite.. the great sentinel of the skyways ... Silver Surfer.
Wink With a name like Norin Rad ... he just had to be one amazing nerd.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post