Favorite Comics

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
09-12-2011, 02:30 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2011 02:42 AM by Erxomai.)
RE: Favorite Comics
(09-12-2011 02:20 AM)kim Wrote:  I used to love a Jonen Vasquez comic called, I Feel Sick. It was one of his experiments, though and didn't last long.
I also liked, The Wretch. Funny stuff there.
And who didn't love The Tick? SPOON!
Heart But all time favorite.. the great sentinel of the skyways ... Silver Surfer.
;)With a name like Norin Rad ... he just had to be one amazing nerd.

Dang it! You beat me to the Tick. "Not in the face!"
2nd best battle cry ever; after "Spoon!"
The Tick spinoffs were even more hilarious. I loved The Man-eating Cow and Paul the Samurai. These were about as far as I ever got away from the "mainstream" comics.

Pff...Norin Rad sounds nerdy to you? Amazing, yes, but that's a rad name!
(08-12-2011 03:21 PM)zaika Wrote:  You really should check them out, but I think they're jumping around the story some and added new plot lines/twists...and characters. So, maybe it wouldn't be that spoilerific? Plus...if you read the graphic novels, you might not like the show so much...just sayin. Wink I'm kind of lukewarm on the show, m'self.

About the Justice League...I've never read anything from that series. I kinda want to. Can you suggest a good place to start?

Preacher is high on my to-read list! I think it might move to the number one slot.

I think, if you're lukewarm on it, I'll wait until after the show's run. I really like it a lot and wouldn't want to spoil the experience for myself.

As far as the Justice League goes, I wasn't a huge follower of any of their series. And they did get convoluted with different configurations of the JLAmerica and JLEurope (not sure why no JLAsia) I'd pick up a story arc here and there. The heyday of my collecting was in the 90's, pretty much start to finish. 9/11 didn't make me stop reading comics, per se, but that is about the time I quit reading them, after, of course seeing how sad Spidey and Captain America looked as they surveyed the fallen towers, feeling helpless that they couldn't stop the tragedy. But I digress...
The reason I mention all the different JL configurations is pretty soon the whole DC Universe got pretty convoluted so came the Crisis on Infinite Earths story line. I'm sure I saw it as a TPB. It's about as epic as any comic book story could be when it's name is not Watchmen. The Crisis story cleans up the multi-verse so you get a lot of DC characters and the Justice League is pretty much in charge. Then the other great story arc is the response to the Death of Superman storyline, also about as epic as any comic book story could be when it's name is not Watchmen. There's a story arc that follows Superman's fight with Doomsday, and then an arc with his funeral and the aftermath in a World without Superman.

If you really like Wonder Woman, check out Netflix. There's a really great and recent Wonder Woman movie. There are also some very well done Justice League movies in the past couple of years too.

Filox, thanks for sharing about Berserk and manga. I've never really been too much into Manga, but I do enjoy some old school anime, so maybe I should give Berserk a shot. Thanks!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
09-12-2011, 03:57 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2011 04:16 AM by Filox.)
Keep in mind that Berserk is not you typical manga, it looks more western (USA) made, than Japanese made. No big eyes, crazy face expressions and silly stuff like that, this is serious, with just a small, small touch of humor by the little elf Puck, he is the only one that makes silly face expressions, typical Japanese manga stuff.

Most of it looks like this: (oh yeah, it's b&w, i didn't mention it before)

[Image: Berserk+manga.jpg]

http://www.google.hr/search?client=opera...iBOry3qdAE

[Image: gunni-sama-albums-berserk-picture125721-berserk-01.jpg]

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
09-12-2011, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2011 06:20 PM by zaika.)
(09-12-2011 02:30 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I think, if you're lukewarm on it, I'll wait until after the show's run. I really like it a lot and wouldn't want to spoil the experience for myself.

As far as the Justice League goes, I wasn't a huge follower of any of their series. And they did get convoluted with different configurations of the JLAmerica and JLEurope (not sure why no JLAsia) I'd pick up a story arc here and there. The heyday of my collecting was in the 90's, pretty much start to finish. 9/11 didn't make me stop reading comics, per se, but that is about the time I quit reading them, after, of course seeing how sad Spidey and Captain America looked as they surveyed the fallen towers, feeling helpless that they couldn't stop the tragedy. But I digress...
The reason I mention all the different JL configurations is pretty soon the whole DC Universe got pretty convoluted so came the Crisis on Infinite Earths story line. I'm sure I saw it as a TPB. It's about as epic as any comic book story could be when it's name is not Watchmen. The Crisis story cleans up the multi-verse so you get a lot of DC characters and the Justice League is pretty much in charge. Then the other great story arc is the response to the Death of Superman storyline, also about as epic as any comic book story could be when it's name is not Watchmen. There's a story arc that follows Superman's fight with Doomsday, and then an arc with his funeral and the aftermath in a World without Superman.

If you really like Wonder Woman, check out Netflix. There's a really great and recent Wonder Woman movie. There are also some very well done Justice League movies in the past couple of years too.

Sounds complicated. :/ I'll prolly get into it slowly at some point.

Are you talking about the animated WW movie? Seen it! I enjoyed it, but I grew up on Lynda Carter's WW...and...nostalgia wins out *every* *time.*
(09-12-2011 03:57 AM)Filox Wrote:  Keep in mind that Berserk is not you typical manga, it looks more western (USA) made, than Japanese made. No big eyes, crazy face expressions and silly stuff like that, this is serious, with just a small, small touch of humor by the little elf Puck, he is the only one that makes silly face expressions, typical Japanese manga stuff.

Most of it looks like this: (oh yeah, it's b&w, i didn't mention it before)

[Image: Berserk+manga.jpg]

http://www.google.hr/search?client=opera...iBOry3qdAE

[Image: gunni-sama-albums-berserk-picture125721-berserk-01.jpg]

Filox, that series sounds...well...EPIC. Now I'm seriously interested in reading it! Should one really start at the beginning? Or can you just jump in at any point?

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes zaika's post
10-12-2011, 07:58 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2011 08:46 AM by Filox.)
One MUST start from the beginning and follow the story as it goes, because it is a connected timeline.

First of all, if you want to get hooked, you can watch the TV series, it covers third and forth volume, or parts of it, so it is pretty much at the beginning. The series cover the "going back to memory lane" path, where the we go back to the beginning of the whole story, to see how it ll started and let to cataclysmic events.

After the series, you can start reading, read everything, from beginning to the end. This series will not spoil things for you, only show you how it all began, but in the TV series they have left out a couple of crucial characters, that do not have anything to do with the part of the story that is shown in the anime, so they did not want to confuse people with them.

Here is the torrent for the anime, it's 25 episodes, they are in .ogm format, that means they are dual-audio; Japanese and English, with English subtitles, it is all in the one file so you just choose what do you want, but my suggestion is to put the Japanese, original audio and English subs. It just sounds better in Japanese, but the English is also good.

http://btjunkie.org/torrent/a4e-Berserk-...342384e13f

Here is the torrent for the comic, it is .cbr format, actually it's a .rar, only it is renamed to .cbr and it uses the CDisplay program that can be downloaded from here: http://www.cdisplay.me/

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4470272

Now the problem is that I do not know is this the Dark Horse version, or the Evil Genius Scanlations. I prefer the Evil Genius version, but when you download it, you will know, Evil Genius advertise inside comics. I can't find a better torrent than this. Also, I have seen this in comments, so here it is: "v12c7 is actually included in the same folder as v12c6, must have just been a mistake, but it‘s there, everything is complete.

some of these are low-res fan translations with typos and shit, some are even hard to read, but most are high-res good copies. 8/10 overall"

v12 means - Volume 12; c7 is - Chapter 7.

So if you find some bad ones, try to find them alone for download somewhere. I did some sorting with the downloaded versions, I had to sort some pages, some volumes, unpack, repack them, but unfortunately I can't upload my sorted version, due to the lack of Internet in my home.

On this page (http://www.evil-genius.us/) you can download Volumes 34, 35, 36 and continue to follow Volume 37 as it slowly comes out. Bookmark this page, they are the first ones (and maybe the only ones) that get the Japanese version, scan it, and translate it just a few days after it is out. You can find their archives on the right side of the page, scroll until you find "Berserk_v34" and start downloading.

If you need/want to open the archive that is now a .cbr file, simply rename it to .rar, open it, sort it, rename the .png images inside if needed and repack it back to .rar, then rename it back to .cbr. Or you can just use the .png images and scroll through them, but it is better to use the CDisplay with .cbr.

I'm sorry for your new addiction, you will love me while reading it, hate me when you realize how much years you will have to wait for it to end.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
10-12-2011, 09:38 AM

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
12-12-2011, 11:57 PM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2011 12:09 AM by zaika.)
(10-12-2011 07:58 AM)Filox Wrote:  I'm sorry for your new addiction, you will love me while reading it, hate me when you realize how much years you will have to wait for it to end.

Smile

Wow. I already love/hate you for this. Sounds amazing, yet very involved. I'm saving the torrent info, this is going into my to-read/watch list for sure!!

(10-12-2011 09:38 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  That's what she said. If I made it sound complicated, it's probably because I geeked out there for a moment. I haven't done that with comics for a while! Smile

LOL but it's totally appreciated!! Geeking out is absolutely acceptable at all times. Big Grin

Yes! And Lynda Carter will always be my paragon agaisnt which all other WW's must be compared to. (Have I heard rumors of a new movie?)

I have heard whispers here and there about a movie, but I haven't heard about anything definitive. Lots of people want to make a WW movie...but no one seems willing to touch it. From what I read, her story is complicated to write for some reason. ??? I'm thinking that if they base it on Perez's run and update it Simone-style, they would be going in the right direction at least. Did you ever see the clips from the new WW television pilot that totally bombed?? It was terrible. Just awful. The thing with Lynda Carter is that she captured the essence of WW. She was beautiful, gracious, kind, a huge sense of social justice, and she could kick ass!! The newest WW was just...not WW at all. Ugh.

[Image: tumblr_lamy7epGJG1qce0y2o1_500.png]

And oh holy hell...LOVE it. Seeing WW beat the shit out of one of the other members of the trinity is like my favorite thing in the world. I have to say though, that for whatever reason, this is my favorite thing ever...

[Image: sMBHG.jpg]

From the cover of that trade...

[Image: gbyFk.jpg]

Okay...I will stop spamming with WW goodness...for now....

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes zaika's post
13-12-2011, 08:05 AM
(12-12-2011 11:57 PM)zaika Wrote:  And oh holy hell...LOVE it. Seeing WW beat the shit out of one of the other members of the trinity is like my favorite thing in the world. I have to say though, that for whatever reason, this is my favorite thing ever...

[Image: sMBHG.jpg]

She can give it to Supes all she wants, but this is bloody sacrilege! [Indignant Hmpff!]
Obviously Bruce has her where he wants her...overly confident, thinking she's won. He's about to ram a Bat-a-rang up her wazoo and then it's on, baby!

I'd love to see a Perez based movie. (Just as I wish they would do a Peter David Hulk movie instead of wasting time and money on what they've done so far. At least Ed Norton was a better Banner, but I digress).

I was hoping to find clips of the pilot. Just found a bunch of videos of the filming. And this:

I'm not diggin' the costume, but after my crack research team, aka, the Googles, found out that DC had already changed the costume, I guess it's not the producers' fault. You'd just think in our "fallen, post Christian society" they could've shown a bit more skin! Big Grin

~Izel
13-12-2011, 03:36 PM
(13-12-2011 08:05 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  She can give it to Supes all she wants, but this is bloody sacrilege! [Indignant Hmpff!]
Obviously Bruce has her where he wants her...overly confident, thinking she's won. He's about to ram a Bat-a-rang up her wazoo and then it's on, baby!

I'd love to see a Perez based movie. (Just as I wish they would do a Peter David Hulk movie instead of wasting time and money on what they've done so far. At least Ed Norton was a better Banner, but I digress).

I'm not diggin' the costume, but after my crack research team, aka, the Googles, found out that DC had already changed the costume, I guess it's not the producers' fault. You'd just think in our "fallen, post Christian society" they could've shown a bit more skin! Big Grin

The Hiketia was a really good trade!! I love that cover because the bat totally does it for me. LOL It's okay. Bruce can lose every once in awhile and still be Batman! I promise. But seriously...you cannot pit someone like Batman against an Amazon with the powers of several gods. You just can't do it and not expect widdle Bwucey to stay safe. *giggle snort*

But yeah, the pilot never aired because no one would pick it up. The costume change in the comics was something that I actually liked. I mean, WW's costume is totally iconic, but giving her more clothes kind of gives her a bit more of a modern edge, in my opinion. However, the costume in the TV show was a distaster. And all the clips I saw were embarrassingly terrible. The whole thing was a disaster. I bet if Joss Whedon actually got a hold of it like he wants to...he'd know what to do with her story.

- Carl Sagan
14-12-2011, 10:37 AM

As I sit here, gaping at this marvelous thread, I must restrain myself from kissing the screen.
OP, my gratitude is to be shown to you.

To go along with what you told me to do, my favorite comics are:
Superman: the Man of Tomorrow. Superman Confidential. Justice League Unlimited. Smallville. and A LOT more. Smile
(12-12-2011 11:57 PM)zaika Wrote:  [Image: sMBHG.jpg]

YEAH. O_O And I'm sure you see, why I would do bad things to her, right? Wink
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like insidemyownmind's post
14-12-2011, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2011 12:11 PM by Erxomai.)
(14-12-2011 10:37 AM)insidemyownmind Wrote:  As I sit here, gaping at this marvelous thread, I must restrain myself from kissing the screen.
OP, my gratitude is to be shown to you.

To go along with what you told me to do, my favorite comics are:
Superman: the Man of Tomorrow. Superman Confidential. Justice League Unlimited. Smallville. and A LOT more. Smile
(12-12-2011 11:57 PM)zaika Wrote:  [Image: sMBHG.jpg]

YEAH. O_O And I'm sure you see, why I would do bad things to her, right? Wink

Erxxy Approves.
(13-12-2011 03:36 PM)zaika Wrote:  The Hiketia was a really good trade!! I love that cover because the bat totally does it for me. LOL It's okay. Bruce can lose every once in awhile and still be Batman! I promise. But seriously...you cannot pit someone like Batman against an Amazon with the powers of several gods. You just can't do it and not expect widdle Bwucey to stay safe. *giggle snort*

But yeah, the pilot never aired because no one would pick it up. The costume change in the comics was something that I actually liked. I mean, WW's costume is totally iconic, but giving her more clothes kind of gives her a bit more of a modern edge, in my opinion. However, the costume in the TV show was a distaster. And all the clips I saw were embarrassingly terrible. The whole thing was a disaster. I bet if Joss Whedon actually got a hold of it like he wants to...he'd know what to do with her story.

Pfff, I mock your mockery of Bruce. If he can take down the Big Blue Boyscout (Reference Frank Miller's Dark Knight) I have no doubt he can take care of a little minx like Diana.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSae_u6iQXjPR9GLJmrjlF...1PIIGVhFaw]

I love the idea of Joss Whedon doing a WW series. Man, if he could make a bimbo vampire slayer seem awesome, just think what he would do with an Amazon Warrior. Shivers and chills!!!

~Izel