Wood Elf
Dark Elf
Orc
Imperial
Nord
Breton
Redguard
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Favorite Elder Scrolls Race

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2014, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 03:51 PM by Adrianime.)
RE: Favorite Elder Scrolls Race
(01-08-2014 03:12 PM)cjlr Wrote:  And if aspects of the original implementation suck, you're only punishing yourself.
(but also, you can't possibly know the intent, nor how close to some "vision" the final product is...)

Well; to each their own, I suppose.
Well, I consider video games a form of art. A story to be told, beautiful visuals to see, fantastic worlds to explore, a mechanism to interact with the world in place (gameplay).

I see applying mods to games very similar to getting a painting, then repainting a portion of it, or taking a movie and re-editing it, adding new scenes, and deleting old ones.

I mean, yeah those things are all fine and dandy and things you can do.....but I personally find it more respectful to take art as it is presented by the artist(s). Just my stance for myself, honestly don't care what others do.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2014, 03:54 PM
[Image: sw50sw8sw578.gif]
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
01-08-2014, 04:38 PM
(01-08-2014 03:40 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(01-08-2014 03:12 PM)cjlr Wrote:  And if aspects of the original implementation suck, you're only punishing yourself.
(but also, you can't possibly know the intent, nor how close to some "vision" the final product is...)

Well, I consider video games a form of art. A story to be told, beautiful visuals to see, fantastic worlds to explore, a mechanism to interact with the world in place (gameplay).

Sure. And?

(01-08-2014 03:40 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I see applying mods to games very similar to getting a painting, then repainting a portion of it, or taking a movie and re-editing it, adding new scenes, and deleting old ones.

Sure. And?

Ain't no one gonna argue The Phantom Edit isn't an improvement.

(01-08-2014 03:40 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I mean, yeah those things are all fine and dandy and things you can do.....but I personally find it more respectful to take art as it is presented by the artist(s). Just my stance for myself, honestly don't care what others do.

The flaws with that are as I mentioned previously. But I'm curious as to where your boundaries on that lie. Does a work which does not meet its creators' expectations still warrant sanctity? Does a product catered to markets rather than vision still warrant sanctity? How do you draw a line between what counts as art and what does not?

It seems an inadequately explored position, to me. I grant the sentiment, but I don't see the point.

... this is my signature!
01-08-2014, 05:04 PM
Re: Favorite Elder Scrolls Race
I would agree to an acceptance of the games art as it is... If these games weren't Intentionally designed knowing mod additions will be a big part of the game community.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
01-08-2014, 05:40 PM
It's entirely sentiment, and there is no point. I'm not arguing my position is right. Just telling you what I'm thinking. (It's called a conversation).

[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
01-08-2014, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 07:43 PM by Adrianime.)
I'm a video game collector btw (on a small scale), so I might look at things differently than others.

01-08-2014, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 09:09 PM by ClydeLee.)
Re: Favorite Elder Scrolls Race
I collect games as well.. But can differentiate styles of games. Some games are made packaged as is but some are intended to be expanded and open to user alterations for better, worse, or nonsensical value.

Moving back to another note I've always enjoyed TES in 3rd person. The world view is much more charming and open to me that way. I've never found a favorite class, I've ranged in types for years.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
01-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Argonians are go home. Who would not want to play as a dinosaur?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
01-08-2014, 11:06 PM
Bretons have the most significant passive buff in magic resistance and mana buff. My favorite race though are the dark elves. Terrible passive buffs, but cool looking. I started the series with Morrowind so I have a soft spot for them. Nwah
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
01-08-2014, 11:09 PM
(01-08-2014 03:40 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  

I see applying mods to games very similar to getting a painting, then repainting a portion of it, or taking a movie and re-editing it, adding new scenes, and deleting old ones.

I mean, yeah those things are all fine and dandy and things you can do.....but I personally find it more respectful to take art as it is presented by the artist(s). Just my stance for myself, honestly don't care what others do.

I mostly agree. When I play ES, I only use mods that I feel enhance or add to the experience of the game. Some of my favorite are "Wet and Cold", which add frosted breath animations for creatures and NPCs, and "Realistic Lighting", which adjust the color saturations and eliminate "fake lighting" sources to create a more believable world experience. I generally don't play the "pretty hair packs" and the "lol light sabers are cool" mods, but that is me. To each their own.
[+] 3 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post