Favorite Famous Last Words

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2018, 07:18 AM
RE: Favorite Famous Last Words
(31-01-2018 07:04 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(31-01-2018 04:55 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  Union General John Sedgwick was killed by a sharpshooter at the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House on May 9, 1864, making him and Major General John F. Reynolds (July 1, 1863, Gettysburg) the highest-ranking United States soldiers to be killed in the Civil War. He is well remembered for his ironic last words: "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." (Wikipedia) Consider

Cool Civil War stuff. I think Reynolds said something before he was shot to the effect of (when an orderly asked him to get down from his horse as he was a conspicuous target) "There are times when the life of a major general don't matter." Trying to inspire his men. Then shot in the leg, bled out.

> You're mixing up two Union generals at the Battle of Gettysburg: John F. Reynolds and Winfield Scott Hancock.

> Reynolds was killed by a Confederate sniper at the start of the battle. While supervising the placement of the 2nd Wisconsin, he yelled at them, "Forward men! For God's sake forward!" At that moment he fell from his horse with a wound in the back of the upper neck, or lower head.

> Winfield Scott Hancock was shot from his horse on Cemetery Ridge toward the end of Pickett's Charge. Though severely wounded, he refused to be carried from the field until the action was resolved. He survived the war and went on to run for President (Democrat) in 1880.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2018, 12:04 PM
"I am just going outside and may be some time."

—Captain Lawrence Edward Grace Oates, who died during the Terra Nova Expedition to the South Pole in 1912.

This bloke has always been one of my heroes, despite this being an incredibly sad story. Oates, afflicted with gangrene and frostbite, walked from his tent into a blizzard. His death is seen as an act of self-sacrifice when, aware that his ill health was compromising his three companions' chances of survival, he chose certain death.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
01-02-2018, 12:21 PM
Joseph Green, a surgeon, was checking his own pulse. His last words: "It's stopped."

James French, just before he died in the electric chair: "Hey fellas! How about this for a headline for tomorrow’s paper? French fries!”

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." The (4th) Doctor
[+] 2 users Like Rockblossom's post
01-02-2018, 12:40 PM
This is apocryphal, but it's still one of my favourite lines...

King George IV (or III) was dying, and one of the sycophants around said something along the lines of "Don't worry, sire, I'm sure you'll get better and can visit Bognor Regis".

King George died with the words "Bugger Bognor" on his lips...

It's just so delightfully random.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
01-02-2018, 12:50 PM
This is supposed to be very funny in German, so i beg you, please have mercy if it is not funny at all to muricans:

"We have always done so"
- Any company going belly-up

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
01-02-2018, 03:53 PM
John Wayne Gacy, before his execution - "Kiss my ass."
01-02-2018, 05:34 PM
Capitalism. Downfall.
~ Christopher Hitchens

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
01-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Louise Marie Therese (The Black Nun of Moret)~

"Good. A woman who can fart is not dead."

01-02-2018, 06:06 PM
[Image: quote-i-am-willing-to-remain-and-play-th...-65-00.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
01-02-2018, 06:23 PM
Arthur Wellesley Duke of Wellington

"Yes please"
(when asked if he would like a cup of tea)