Favorite Historical Character

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2013, 12:25 AM
RE: Favorite Historical Character
(06-04-2013 12:03 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 11:50 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Alexander The Great of Macedonia. Without him I doubt western society is where it is.

So... what do you know? Was the movie accurate?

Dodgy Are they ever? Here are some of the known facts. Was raised in Athens and taught logic there. Was most likely a Homosexual (a feminine homosexual from various sources) Was a young man when his father (when he accepted a human father before he deified himself in egypt) Phillip of Macedonia completed the conquest of the Greek city-states. Alexander was a Lt General in charge of the cavalry unit that made the macedonian army so effective during the conquest of Thebes. Shortly after this Phillip acquired a new younger wife (of Macedonian decent) and had another son with her who would have replaced Alexander as heir (Alexanders Mother was not Macedonian) Phillip is murdered by a stable hand he had been having an affair with shortly after this and while most believe Alexander's mother was part of the conspiracy nothing is ever proven.

Once having taken over the throne Alexander then went on to conquer a larger empire than any single man up until Ghengis Khan. The Empire stretched from Greece into Egypt and as far east as India. During the Indian campaign Alexander was injured attacking a fortified city and soon after died of what most historians believe was an infection (poison was considered at the time and malaria was never ruled out) leaving no heir and no successor to rule the empire. The empire ended up being divided between his generals with Talmane being the most famous (and taking the throne of Egypt). During his long campaigns across Persia and Egypt Alexander began to promote (and possibly even believe) that he was not of Mortal descent but rather was the son of Zeus-Ra (a composite of the King of the Greek and Egyptian pantheons who at the time were believed to be the same god) Several Hero stories remain about Alexanders exploits but are either exaggerated or at the least unsubstantiated.

Well thats the cliff notes pretty much from memory.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
06-04-2013, 12:31 AM
(06-04-2013 12:04 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 12:01 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  When I die and go to heaven I want to sit down and have a conversation with Samuel Clemens, Galileo Galilei and Abraham Lincoln. Yes

I can't say I'm a big fan of Lincoln. The other two, I'm sure there would be drinking involved. Big Grin

Maybe a fight as well since Clemens was not a fan of Lincoln either! Galileo and I will drink a fine single malt whiskey and watch those two go at it while we trash the Catholic Church.

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
06-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Who is the unholy trinity? Kingsy, Egor and Chas? Laughat

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
06-04-2013, 12:38 AM
(06-04-2013 12:36 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Who is the unholy trinity? Kingsy, Egor and Chas? Laughat

That was uncalled for! I can't believe you included KC on that list. Big Grin

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
06-04-2013, 12:39 AM
Zoser... any relation to Gozer? Big Grin

Alex... pretty much got that from the movie. Seems he had a drive to know, like a science guy. Looking for the edge of the world, leaving behind centers of learning, and having a global vision.

Galileo... I don't know (if I were him) that I coulda kept my mouth shut. I remember this flick where he's drawing circles on the tabletop with finger mouthing, "but it does move..." I woulda got kilt. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2013, 12:40 AM
I don't know about favorite, but there are a few people I'd like to magically transport back in time to personally meet Charlamagne on one of his moody days.

06-04-2013, 12:58 AM
(06-04-2013 12:31 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Galileo and I will drink a fine single malt whiskey and watch those two go at it while we trash the Catholic Church.
Galileo kicked ass on the lute - a shredder - learned it from his dad one of the greatest lutist in Europe. His brother played the viola and their sister sang and was also a viola ace... she was also a sought after translator and map copier. Their dad was always touring... probably one reason their mom was such a bitch. She was the one who did it, you know... turned him in to the inquisition. He got out of it but still; her own kid!! Bi-otch. Dodgy

By the way... Alexander's general who was given Egypt - his name was Ptolemy (ˈtäləmē - silent 'p'). Cleopatra was a direct descendent of Ptolemy. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
06-04-2013, 01:00 AM
Lu bu.

You don't get a reputation like that without being a real badass.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 3 users Like Hamata k's post
06-04-2013, 01:07 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 03:26 AM by Bucky Ball.)
King Artaxerxes. of Persia. He was the founder of Israel, as we know it. He is responsible for the Torah of Moses being created, and thus indirectly Western civilization as we know it. He allowed Ezra to return from exile, and granted him and Nehemiah the power to rule in Jerusalem. He had more power than any Yahweh dude ever did. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artaxerxes_I_of_Persia

Either him, or the Sheriff of Nottingham. Just cuz he was a fucking fuck. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-04-2013, 01:15 AM
(06-04-2013 01:00 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  Lu bu.
You don't get a reputation like that without being a real badass.

Wow! Just read his wiki - he was a badass! I might also guess sociopath... but I would never say it to his face. Unsure

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post